PDA

View Full Version : Help with GPS

hotload
05-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I took a privte poll on what GPS's everybody thought was the best about a year ago. Well, a year has past and with all the new GPS's on the market and it is hard to keep up with what is new and great each day, I was wondering what is the best one to get now in your opinion. Last year it was overwhelming according to this site that the Garmin 60csx was the one to get. Well now is my time to get one, and I would hate to make an uneducated guess for this year. So if there would be any help on this subject I know it could come from here. Any help from you guys would be appreciated, THANKS

Steeleco
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I can't say with authority which one is the best, but I can tell you I just bought a 60Csx. I was of the mind to get one without the compass and barometric altimeter, but as it happens I managed to get a refurbished Csx unit from www.gpscentral.ca in Calgary for less than the lesser unit. For an additional $90 or so, you can get all the topo's you'll need for it for some time.

Some of the very new units have the ability to overlay spacial imagery right onto your handheld. IE Garmin Colorado, but as with most new technology the first ones are problematic, hence my decision to go they way I did.

BlacktailStalker
05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
The new garmin Colorado 300 is the cats ass, forget the 60 series now.
Lookin' to upgrade my 60Cs.

TG1
05-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I have the Garmin GPS 60cs (the model before the cx). Great colour screen, waterproof, foolproof and the topos are great. You may want to check out www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca/) there are some used units being sold in the gear swap section of the site. Some toted as being hardly used. There is a 60cx up for 350. May be worth contacting the seller.

Cheers

Tony

waistdeep
05-19-2008, 07:35 AM
I have tried a couple and have now settled on the Triton 2000 , has all the features plus the touch screen is simple and easy to use with a top quality high def screen.

Pete
05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
If you are looking to buy check out GPS Central or GPS City. Both have very good prices. I just bought a 60cxs for my work but I tried out several first before opting for this one.

hotload
05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
I can't say with authority which one is the best, but I can tell you I just bought a 60Csx. I was of the mind to get one without the compass and barometric altimeter, but as it happens I managed to get a refurbished Csx unit from www.gpscentral.ca (http://www.gpscentral.ca) in Calgary for less than the lesser unit. For an additional $90 or so, you can get all the topo's you'll need for it for some time.

Some of the very new units have the ability to overlay spacial imagery right onto your handheld. IE Garmin Colorado, but as with most new technology the first ones are problematic, hence my decision to go they way I did.

Steeleco, thanks for your valued input. Colorado sounds good in essence but seems to be out of my price range, and also at this point doesn't sound to be tried and true. So the CXSX, seems to be the way to go for me at this point. I have checked prices of the TOPOS, and can't seem to find anything for around the price that you suppested they were ( $90.00) Can you tell me where you came up with that price, I also would like to nail one at that price. You have been a great help to me once before, thanks a lot ROD

BlacktailStalker
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Topo canada is around $149. You can get just BC for $99 from what I've seen.

tuchodi
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I have had the 60CSX and would not have upgraded but the new Garmin Rino 530CSX which I bought has the same GPS as the 60 plus a 2 way radio built in. I always carried both so now I just have one unit to do 2 jobs. This new unit works real good so far and as Steelco said check out GPS Central for a refurbished one.

martyonthewater
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
tuchodi have you purchased the topo or city guide data cards for your 530 csx? thats where they get you.

tuchodi
05-19-2008, 07:22 PM
martyonthewater: I purchased Topo Canada about 4 years ago when I had the Garmin GPS V and I don't think they have changed any of the topo maps lately. If you need the MicroSD cards I bought mine from NCIX in Langley, a 1 GB card was only aprox $6.00. When I bought Topo Canada it was about $100.00 from GPS Central.

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Ive had a Garmin eTrexlegend for years it does everything i want and more . It gets lots of rough use and does not eat up a lot of batteries. When bow hunting elk we hunt close to the 1100 m. boundry so it's on all day. I can count on it so i'll keep it till someone shows me a better one.

mud-dog27
05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
i hear the Garmin 60 is great but IMO for hunting go with one of the Garmin RINO units you can have the options of the 60 but you get the FRS radio aswell and if your hunting buddy has one you can track each other on your hunts

BigBanger
05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
[quote=Steeleco;284690]I can't say with authority which one is the best, but I can tell you I just bought a 60Csx. I was of the mind to get one without the compass and barometric altimeter, but as it happens I managed to get a refurbished Csx unit from www.gpscentral.ca (http://www.gpscentral.ca) in Calgary for less than the lesser unit. For an additional $90 or so, you can get all the topo's you'll need for it for some time.

I just bought the same one from the same place today , they say Ill have it in a week , cant wait.

Poguebilt
05-21-2008, 09:30 PM
I got the garmin 60cx... super happy with min! I have all the topo maps too...