PDA

View Full Version : Quad Supplies

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2008, 06:16 AM
I just bought a "new-to-me quad" and was wondering what all you ATV veterans keep on board in the way of supplies for breakdowns/ safety gear..etc...etc

SSS

rocksteady
05-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Seems to me there was a thread about this maybe a month ago....I would find it for you but I am off to work...Damn...

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Seems to me there was a thread about this maybe a month ago....I would find it for you but I am off to work...Damn...

Thanks RS. I'll have a look back. I never thought I was going to own one so I must have never paid att'n:rolleyes:.

SSS

Phil
05-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Tire plug kit
small pump
tow rope
winch
mini shovel
hatchet
1/4 inch rope(50ft)
small tarp
bone saw
head lamp
1/4 roll of tp
bungee cords on rack
ATV tool kit
bottle of water x 2
spare gloves and tooque
black garbage bag for WHY
duct tape
mini flash light
can of oysters
protien bars
pen
lighter

Those items stay in the quad and a few others are thrown in depending on the situation

I added a few things to the list after cleaning out my storage box and organizing it.

Fisher-Dude
05-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Tire plug kit
small pump
tow rope
winch
mini shovel
hatchet
1/4 inch rope
small tarp
bone saw
head lamp
1/4 roll of tp
bungee cords on rack
ATV tool kit
bottle of water x 2
spare gloves and tooque
black garbage bag for WHY

Those items stay in the quad and a few others are thrown in depending on the situation

I take a full roll. I see so much game, and such big trophy animals, that it scares the crap outta me.

Go to Princess Auto and get one of those small wrench sets for $6. The stock ATV tools are usually a bit lame. Instead of a toque I wear a bomber hat over a ball cap to cut the wind down on the old noggin. On colder days, a fleece scarf is nice. Lined/insulated/waterproof gloves are better than the gortex ones to stop the wind. I carry a can of that tire sealer goop, plus a tire plug kit, plus a Crappy Tire 12V pump - haven't had a flat yet, but they are common. A couple of rags to wipe of dew-covered seats, and a few pairs of nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean if you have to do a repair.

Pack spare fuel for that Scamaha 'cause they have small tanks and are less fuel efficient than Polar-asses. ;-)

Oh yeah, your BCWF membership should be carried at all times to save a $345 fine. :D

Ron.C
05-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Add a spare spark plug to the list, and extra fuel if out cruising. You may not need the fuel if you plan your ride accordingly, but if you come across another hunter who didn't, they'll sure appreciate it!

knighthunter
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
First aid kit also.

mcrae
05-16-2008, 08:11 PM
extra fuses as well I learned me that lesson the hard way last year LOL...

SPEYMAN
05-16-2008, 08:50 PM
This is not a troll or attempt to cause any uproar. It is just information as I have been advised. Check on the BCWF site and see what is written about the Liability in reguard to ATVs. There is no coverage when "joyriding",there is no coverage on "public Roads". I have been advised by Forestry that in the eyes of the "Law" FSRs are a public road. Therefore, not to start any debate or arguement, please,check with your local Forestry,RCMP or the BCWF before riding a FSR without valid Liability Insurance,wether fishing, hunting etc. The BCWF states that when listing what is covered. It will be a painfull,costly error.

Fisher-Dude
05-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Ern, is that you? :lol:

Joyriding isn't covered. You must be fishin' or huntin' to be covered. However, your over-zealous FT3 Forestry buddy doesn't know his legislation. FSRs are NOT public roads for the 1,000th time.

Tell him to study the Forest & Range Practices Act:

Not a public highway 24
Despite section 42 of the Transportation Act, a road constructed or maintained under this Act, the Forest Act, the former Act as defined in section 1 of the Forest Act or the Forest Practices Code of British Columbia Act is not a public highway unless the Lieutenant Governor in Council declares it to be by an order in council that he or she may make under this Act.

And, from the Motor Vehicle Act:

"highway" includes
(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;

"industrial road" means industrial road as defined in the Industrial Roads Act, and includes a forest service road as defined in the Forest Act and land designated as a development road under section 8 (1) of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Act;

Gateholio
05-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Add a bottle of whiskey to any list...Lots of times you may get stuck somewhere, but it's no emergency, so you have a few hours or a night to kill...

Always better with a few belts of whiskey in ya!:razz:

GoatGuy
05-17-2008, 06:05 AM
I just bought a "new-to-me quad" and was wondering what all you ATV veterans keep on board in the way of supplies for breakdowns/ safety gear..etc...etc

SSS

This is how it all starts.

Pretty soon we won't be able to pry you off that seat for anything other than meals.

huntcoop
05-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Add a bottle of whiskey to any list...Lots of times you may get stuck somewhere, but it's no emergency, so you have a few hours or a night to kill...

Brilliant, a man who's always thinking.

camelsfoot
05-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Gatehouse I like how you prepare for the break down situation.With a bottle of good whiskey you could be comfortable,even with out food.:wink:

Gateholio
05-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Booze will get you through times of no food better than food will get you through times of no booze...:cool:

beeker
05-17-2008, 11:18 AM
new quad eh!! you gettin rid of the tw?

boxhitch
05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
-Consider a manual air pump. The $9 12v. disposables will expire, the day before you need it.
-Add a Low-pressure-range tire guage, not the automotive type.
-Throw in a can of bug juice.
-And a tooth brush, for the ones that get past the face guard
-

Alpine85
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Brent, make sure to have a bunch of rope/straps to tie down a load. We watched this guy through our binos have a hell of time trying to load and tie his buck down. We hiked down and helped him load it, my buddy gave the guy a piece of cord to go along with the belt that was used to strap the deer down. :razz:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/IMG.jpg

mark
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Heres the way I do it, Ive tied a few decent bucks on the front rack. the winch cable is the ultimate tie-down!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/501108-0875_IMG.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=1033&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

Fisher-Dude
05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Who's Brent? :confused:

Carry a mile of rope - that way ya can winch 'em to the road. :smile:

mark
05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Who's Brent? :confused:

Carry a mile of rope - that way ya can winch 'em to the road. :smile:

that certainly would of been handy for my moose retrieval last year, what kind of quad did ya get???

kgs
05-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I am new to the quad world, why would I need to have liability insurance??
I take it that a BCWF membership would help?

browningboy
05-19-2008, 07:39 PM
One thing I haven't seen yet is a 12volt tester as they are handy to have, electricians tape, duct tape, a 12 volt spot light that plugs into your outlet, extra large tie straps, baby wipes (clean your hands after gutting) etc...
Oh ya and lots of booze!

tomahawk
05-19-2008, 07:47 PM
An option rather than the rope is bungy cords, I keep about ten of assorted sizes on the racks. The advantage over rope is that as the animal shifts and moves while transporting, the rope will loosen but the bungies stay tight.

Fisher-Dude
05-23-2008, 02:53 PM
An option rather than the rope is bungy cords, I keep about ten of assorted sizes on the racks. The advantage over rope is that as the animal shifts and moves while transporting, the rope will loosen but the bungies stay tight.

I like to use a cam-buckle tie-down strap together with a good quality bungee cord. I double the bungee cord back and hook it in the middle with the cam end of the tie-down, then suck 'er up tight with the tie-down strap. If the load shifts, the bungee sucks up the slack. Works great. I use them to tie down a heaping load of firewood on the truck too, for the same reason.

Fisher-Dude
05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
...a 12 volt spot light that plugs into your outlet...
....Oh ya and lots of booze!

So ya get pissed and go pitlamping Brownie? :lol:

Mr. Dean
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Other than my emergency pack, I like to carry a couple of ratchet tie downs, a 20' tow rope, some bungee cords.... And YES; WISERS, for when you never know why, but CAN,,, if the need arises.

Yes. It DOES suck being stuck on a mountain overnight, with only a granola bar and apple to see ya through. Never will I cruise again, without me sippy cup.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2008, 08:58 AM
you gettin rid of the tw?

JC-Never!! When I first bought the TW it was saving me ~$150/month in fuel after the extra insurance was factored in. Now I have a new-to-me full-size diesel so with the higher fuel prices I save closer to $200/month. I keep the TW on the road for 9 months of the year and use it whenever possible. I will still use it for hunting but will use the quad for longer trips and late season (snow on the ground)outings. Need to keep the miles off the truck and keep the paint looking good.

Mark-It's a 2000 Yamaha Big Bear Professional 400cc. It would not have been my first choice as it's a maul shift and fulltime 4x4 but I couldn't let it get past me for only $2500. I will need to throw a new piston into it in the next year or two but it runs solid.
Last year my buddy put on a brandnew scabbord, "Princess" seat and battery in it.
Like I said it will keep the miles and scratches off the truck.

Boxhitch-good point about the maual pump....it just so happens the my Father-in-law gave me a good quality bike pump a couple of years ago...I forgot I even had it kicking around the garage:-).

GG-Don't worry about me becoming a full time road warrior. Just ask Calvin...I'm not exactly good at spotting game while in the seat:rolleyes:....which works for me.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
..."Princess" seat...

SSS

So it looks like you'll be packing ol' Spider Legs' (GG's) sorry ass around the bush this year. He keeps promising to buy horses if we supply the quad fleet, but I'll believe that when I see it. 8-)

browningboy
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
So ya get pissed and go pitlamping Brownie? :lol:

No! So I can find my keys to start the quad once I wake up from passing out! :shock:

Fisher-Dude
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
No! So I can find my keys to start the quad once I wake up from passing out! :shock:

Atta boy Brownie. If you pass out while ridin' yer quad, you could hurt yerself. Better to have a nap face down in the dirt so that you can sleep it off before you ride home. Safety first!

browningboy
05-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Atta boy Brownie. If you pass out while ridin' yer quad, you could hurt yerself. Better to have a nap face down in the dirt so that you can sleep it off before you ride home. Safety first!

Thats a dangerous propersition you are stating, sleeping face down on the road with hill billies everywhere! We prefer the butt down approach as no one wants to wake up with their pants around their ankles and vaseline all over their ass!:eek:

Fisher-Dude
05-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Thats a dangerous propersition you are stating, sleeping face down on the road with hill billies everywhere! We prefer the butt down approach as no one wants to wake up with their pants around their ankles and vaseline all over their ass!:eek:

Brownie, it's time you moved away from Surrey. :-?

huntcoop
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm concerned...... he has a nickname of Brownie and talks of vaseline and waking up with their pants around their ankles.....oh my.

browningboy
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm concerned...... he has a nickname of Brownie and talks of vaseline and waking up with their pants around their ankles.....oh my.

Don't worry, I never spoke of me having my pants down, that a west end move!LOL

huntcoop
05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
:tongue: + :eek: = :shock:er LOL

steelheadSABO
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
a really good winch:)

curber
10-25-2008, 08:17 AM
I carry a pretty good assortment of the prementioned items but I find the tool I use most often when in tight situations is my chain saw...never leave home without it

Rock Doctor
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I carry a pretty good assortment of the prementioned items but I find the tool I use most often when in tight situations is my chain saw...never leave home without it

X2 on this.

All good stuff so far.
Also, A can of Either to set a tire back on the bead, or get the bike started on a cold morning when your battery is dead. (It can happen, especially when you have a car sterio mounted in your Quad Box:wink:)
I also carry a couple liters of engine oil for after you swamp the bike and need to change the oil.

RD

srupp
10-25-2008, 12:27 PM
All exellent ideas...I recently bought a SLIME compressor for inflating tires..it is extremelly small and QUALITY not like the cheap POS one usually finds..the size of 2 packs of cigareettes...HIGHLY RECOMENDED QUALITY ITEM..also some TP in a plastic zip lock bag in the back glovebox..
Front box carries a chain saw and a 2 gallon? spare gas..and 150 feet "blue water rescue rope" a snatch block abnd a 2 pully hoist...I have a good winch installed...my day bag sits on the back in a plastic dry box..I have a GPS mounted on the handlebars..

day pack also has a SPARE key for the quad...ya never know..:tongue:
patch kit....and duct tape..My regular key for the quad is on one of those YELLOW - BRIGHT YELLOW boat fobs that FLOAT....

extra fuses...electrical tape...space blanket (survival one silver and plastic paper yellow one..

cheers

Steven :shock:

M.Dean
10-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I carry most every thing, i spend alot of time in the bush alone so i find it nice to stay alive and stay comfortable! One thing i have added after shooting a moose alone is a couple of snatch blocks and a roll of cloths line cable. I bought some small blocks that should help get a big animal in the quad trailer solo. I carry enough food and water for at least a good over nite stay, but i'd be good for 3-4 days alone. If ever i do have to work on my quads, i try to leave what ever tools i used in the quad for a while, the only thing i ever had come loose was the dam trailer ball, try to tighten that down with your leather man!!! I keep a big pair of vise grips now in each bike!

Jagermeister
10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Heres the way I do it, Ive tied a few decent bucks on the front rack. the winch cable is the ultimate tie-down!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/501108-0875_IMG.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=1033&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
Looks like someone savaged the beast. You just couldn't take the picture from the other side could you?

Jagermeister
10-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, I carry everything that everyone has listed except for the 12v tester. I also carry a first aid kit and extra safety glasses just incase there is a joepoke in the eye vicinity. I also have a single burner backpack type stove that runs of propane so I have a bottle of that too and some nesting cooking pans.

srupp
10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
hmmm ist aid gear..gotta get me some of that..lol

steven

moosinaround
10-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, I carry everything that everyone has listed except for the 12v tester. I also carry a first aid kit and extra safety glasses just incase there is a joepoke in the eye vicinity. I also have a single burner backpack type stove that runs of propane so I have a bottle of that too and some nesting cooking pans.
And the kitchen sink??LOL

JeffR
10-25-2008, 10:15 PM
One item I used to use for motorcycle touring was a tire inflating kit that consisted of 2 CO2 cylinders, a small attachment hose and a plug kit. Whole thing was as big as a deck of cards. Never used it on the bike but it came in handy inflating the belly boat a few times.

M.Dean
10-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I have a small flat stove in the box that takes the green propane cylinders, so what i do is in real cold weather i cram in the end from my butane torch in the box, takes up no room, sure easy to lite a fire with, or just warm up your hands in 20 below!

Waltscandy
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I think your going to need a bigger quad!!!!:tongue: