PDA

View Full Version : East Kootenays Hunting Access

Rackmastr
05-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I am in the final stages of deciding on a new place to possibly transfer for work. We looked really hard at Prince Rupert and now it looks like the East Kootenays may be an opportunity in 2009 for us. Maybe Creston/Cranbrook area but not QUITE sure yet....depends on a few variables....

I've never been there in the fall...only spring and summer. I can tell the elk populations look great, and I'm sure there is some good sheep hunting in the mountains and decent deer hunting in the area from what I can tell...

Looking to hear what the opportunities are like. From looking in the Synopsis it looks to be general season for elk, sheep, black bears, deer, and then LEH on goats, grizz, moose, etc depending on specific areas?

I'd love to kill a grizz and a goat while in BC...and sheep hunting is my passion. Overall I'm thinking that the East Koots may be a nice choice to be close to 'home' in Alberta and yet have some new opportunities for critters in BC. What can you guys tell me about the hunting in the area?

Poguebilt
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I think this a a good question for Rocksteady to answer!! im sure he'll chime in soon....

05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
What can you guys tell me about the hunting in the area?

It's probably the best BC has to offer.

finish
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Cranbrook is a great place....lets just say there are more deer than people....and elk are everywhere!!!!!!

7 mag
05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't do it, at best you'll be extremly disapointed!
The Fish & Wildlife branch only spread false rumers about abundent game populations in the East Koots, to take pressure away from the more game rich area's like the lower mainland. LOL!!!

hunter1947
05-15-2008, 04:16 AM
I am coming up to 41 years hunting there this year and the hunting don't get much better then other places in BC. The hunting for whitetails ,elk and muledeer are excelent. Cranbrook is a growing town and is a beautiful place to live ,you will love it there ,if I could live there I would ,but the wife won't move there http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif. If you decide to move there you won't be disappointed http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Fisher-Dude
05-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Buy a heavy duty snow shovel. I heard the best hunting is in Clearwater. But that could just be an internet rumour. :confused:

rocksteady
05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
No BS...Probably the best junting opportunity for diverse species in BC.....

We have elk, very plentiful whitetail, a rebounding mulie population, Goat on LEH, sheep, black and grizzlies, cougars, coyotes, wolves.....Some caribou (but they are protected)......

Its a cornocopia of wildlife...You would not regret the move....

Between Cranbrook and Creston, 2 totally different lifestyles....Cranbrook is growing, Creston is so laid back and quaint....You should visit both and see what appeals to you....

Creston has a milder climate, same opportunities, Cranbrook tends to be a little cooler in the winter, but lots of sunshine.....

I was not going to tell you all this but Pogue keeps letting the secret out and everyone knows about the area now....:mrgreen:

finish
05-15-2008, 06:37 AM
oh ya Rocksteady....good gopher season so far EH!!!!

psyco
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Im up in Kimberley,the hunting here is incrediable.Its also a great place to raise a family.The winters well there winters.But over all a great place to call home.

GoatGuy
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM
There's something in the water in Cranbrook - does funny things to people. :roll:

I'd move to Creston. Little more relaxed, small town feel. People are more laidback and friendly. Really in the EK I'd live anywhere other than Cranbrook.:lol:

riflebuilder
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Skookumchuck is the best place one gas station nothing else, just lots of deer elk moose bear and cougars. So many choices not enough bullets.

hunter1947
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
If you need to find work ,Cranbrook has a better chance to find work then Creston.

Kody94
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I love the EK (lived here about 20 years now) and never thought I'd live in Cranbrook, but now that I do, it ain't so bad.

Be prepared for "sticker-shock" when you start looking at houses though.

We are having a heckuva time recruiting people to work here...love the area, can't afford to live here (at least to the style that they've become accustomed in cheaper areas).

Cheers
4Ster

Rackmastr
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys,
I appreciate all the responses on the area. I have looked at housing and yep its a definatly a bit of a higher area, but coming from Alberta I'm used to that and my house is worth enough over here that I could make the jump comfortably. My job is a federal job so that part is covered for needing work. Just a matter of finding out exactly where they would want me before I decided on the exact location to move...

From all acounts, it sounds awesome. From what I've seen of the area before I loved it. We went out chasing turkeys last spring and I fell in love with the area and the diversity. JUst workin on trying to get over there now......

rocksteady
05-15-2008, 02:30 PM
LMAO I agree GG

Hey, stop that you 2 !!!!

BTW I don't drink the tap water, just bottled water and beer...

GoatGuy
05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
LMAO I agree GG

Maybe they crossed the water lines between the irrigation fields and the household drinking water?

That would explain a lot.

05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe they crossed the water lines between the irrigation fields and the household drinking water?

That would explain a lot.

We have our own brand of beer here in the Koots, no need to drink water, that's for the lawn..!

Poguebilt
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
what this water stuff you are talkin about.... when I moved here I was told by Rocksteady that you only drink MGD here..... being the guy I am 2 years of this and things are great! Just ask Hagen... im sure he's lurking with a beer in hand too!

rocksteady
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
[quote=Poguebilt;284023]when I moved here I was told by Rocksteady that you only drink MGD here..... quote]

I drink MGD cause its in clear bottles and you can see if theres anything gross swimming around in it:wink:...Try that with one of those other beers...Ever wonder why they hide it in DARK BROWN bottles...:evil:

And don't drink water, cause you know FISH *%$# IN IT !!!

05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
I water the lawns while drining beer...both go hand in hand.

I water the lawn from a lawn chair but also have a drink holder on my lawn mower.

hunter1947
05-16-2008, 03:23 AM
We have our own brand of beer here in the Koots, no need to drink water, that's for the lawn..!
I don't drink beer so I have no problem there ,I drink chocolate milk and apple juice http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

finish
05-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Hey, stop that you 2 !!!!

BTW I don't drink the tap water, just bottled water and beer...

:grin: MMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!!:D

mark4
06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Theres no elk in the east kooteneay's- and definitely no whitey's- Terrible place to hunt. ;)