PDA

View Full Version : Prince George East Moose

spock
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all who responded to my 5-4 queries, did not sound too promising. We thought we would look at region 7 the odds of drawing look a lot better, and there is some GOS any info on moose hunting prospects east of prince george, bowron river, willow river, mcgregor, 7-7, 7-8, 7-5, other game deer, elk.

Jelvis
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Heeeeey spock whazup, The captain here.
If you believe all those negatories to your 5-4 you been punked, nothing wrong in 5-4 imho.Those hunters live there.
Another topic, gos is whatchew like?

What do moose like the most to eat in fall? --WILLOW
Where do moose hang by? RIVER
ANSWER---> Willow River MU 7-7

Access from Hwy 16 along Willow River road which leaves Hwy 16 about 37 km east of Prince George.
Also reached by BUCK-HORN, 15 km south of Prince Gearge on Hwy 97, and from Stoner, 30 km south of Prince George on 97.
fair to very good moose hunting and good access.
Bonus; can have good rabbit and grouse.
JellyRoll-Captainkirk-star-ship-moose

jml11
05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Can't really go wrong with any MU in region 7, especially around P.G. It is generally understood that there are larger numbers to the northeast of town and a better chance at a bigger bull as well (hence the tougher odds...). One thing to consider is that the closer you are to PG the greater the hunting pressure is, especially when cows and calves open up in mid-october. It gets really bad sometimes and you can easily run into 20-30 other trucks in a day and camps the size of small cities. 90% are road hunters however, so if you get out and walk around, you will greatly increase your chances. I try to get well out of town and have had great success with little effort in doing so.

Don't forget to bring an elk tag with you, while they still aren't here in great numbers, they are cropping up everywhere around here and show themselves every now and then. Heard of some good numbers in the MUs east of town. Knew a guy last year who came up looking for moose and the only thing he saw was a nice 6-point bull elk in a wide open cutblock....He was told to get an elk tag before coming up and decided it wasn't worth it, oops. As for deer, the white-tailed deer numbers are on the rise east of town and probably outnumber the mulies in spots.

As Jelvis said, access if pretty good in MU 7-7 as it is in most of the MUs. If you put in your time up here I think it's pretty hard not to be successful with an LEH authorization.

Jelvis
05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
spock! ---- Captain here.

MU 7-7
Bowron River

Good moose hunting, along Bowron River north of Hwy 16
Jel-Kirk- > north <> of Hwy-16 <along> the bowron river

killman
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Spock- More lower mainland hunters here than moose.........

Jelvis
05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
spock!
MU 7-8
Hixon - Ahbau Lake

Hixon is on Hwy 97, 60 km south of Prince George.
Access from Willow River road system, from Hixon via Hixon and Terry Creek roads, and from Ahbau Creek road 25 km south of Hixon. Fair to good moose hunting. A few deer. Jel, good luck in the LEH draws, spock.

The Hermit
05-16-2008, 06:48 AM
7-16b did 4 days hard hunting last Sept... didn't see anything move... not moose, not deer, not bear... NOTHING well not quite true I did see about 75 hunters in a relatively small area with limited access.

Jelvis
05-16-2008, 01:41 PM
spock? Are yo there H-E-L-L-O come in.
Your Captain here! KIRK Hey!
One more on your re-quest sheet!

MU 7-5
McBride - Slim Creek

The Bell Mountain road, 5 km northwest of McBride, runs back into fair moose country. From there along Hwy 16 to Slim Creek, fair to good moose hunting is found from the highway via hike-ins or a few short access roads. NOTE: No shooting for 0.4 km on either side of highway. This is quite heavily wooded with a mix of cedar, spruce, hemlock and fir.
Bonus= some grouse.

That's it spock, Captain kirkness is out a here, good luck in your moose, deer, bear and birds from the Quadship-at enterprize. Jellysevencomeeleven-leh+gos?

Jelvis
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Remember this about Mu 7-7 Jels-bells.

Ambush
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey SpockLived and hunted here for 28 years. Have shot lots of moose. What do you have to hunt from: quad, boat, awesome 4X4, mediocore 4X4, big camp,little camp, how far do you want to pack a moose? You got a spotting scope and good binos? Treestand? What time of the season?
As was stated before, avoid calf season. If your plan is to just come and drive around like a thousand other people, then you don't need a plan or info, just luck and lots of fuel.
It's a myth this place is crawling with moose, but there are moose here. It is true that working harder than the rest will increase your odds.
Don't put to much stock in the tales from the old days.
If you have an LEH for moose, you have a real good chance.

spock
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
good 4x4, quad, small camp, good binoculars never called before plan on going during the rut.

Jelvis
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Moose Rut in that area guesses? I say a guess of September 22nd to October 7th, then taper off til October 20th and done. Jel Within 2 days before the sept 20th and two days ahead to October 22nd. Jel-guessing

moosecaller
07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Get one of the calling tapes and learn! This will increase your chances tremendously. I have helped people out that have come up from the LM and been hunting for a week and not seen anything but tracks. In one case last season a buddy from the island had been there for 8 days and had only seen a cow/calf pair I called for him about 400 yards from his camp and 20 mins. later he had a nice bull on the ground, anyone that calls will have similar stories about how this works, I have not gone one season without having a couple of dozen moose come to the call. "IT WORKS"

Jelvis
07-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Old coffee can, big one, cut one end out, and put a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the other end. Get a leather bootlace new one at surplus store. Tie knot in one end then put lace thru hole tie little knot then dampen fingers and lace, point can opening, and thumb and index together start pulling down on leather boot lace string until it makes a noise like a moose, a cow call. Even a moose guide will be fooled when your good at it. Try it the best use a home made Coffee Can Cow Moose Calling.
Your Jellnes

Ambush
07-06-2008, 02:27 PM
The coffee can does work, but it is a real noisey pain in the butt to pack around.
Some people just sound waaayyy more like a moose than others. Get tapes or cd's and practice with your hunting buddies. Position yourselves about 100 yards apart, preferably in some trees and call. Let your buddies tell you how you would sound to a bull. You can't really tell by listening to yourself.
Sounds like you have the right gear to get off the beaten path. I would really recommend having at least one light weight climbing tree stand. I've shot quite a few immature bulls [not much luck with LEH] using a spotting scope from some of the permanent home made tree stands we had around.
Many of the areas here are over grown so if you and the moose are both on the ground, you can only hear them leaving. Get twenty feet up a tree in a slash thats ten feet high and suddenly you see moose looking in your direction trying to identify what's making the noise.
As far as timing, try to get the last week in September.
Where are you coming from? How many hunters?
I will PM you some actual locations if you are interested. You have a GPS?