PDA

View Full Version : My first week-end Grizz hunting in 7-38

Beardy
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
So yeah, mixed feelings about this one... kind of disappointed actually.

It's not that I didn't see any bears, on the first day, I actually saw four grizzlies and about 5 blackies. One of the grizz was small, two medium, and I swear A MONSTER OF A BIG ASS ELEPHANT grizzly! I swear, I shit my pants when I saw that guy... shoulder height, I kid you not, must have been 4 feet. So big! On the second day, saw NOTHING!

So the problem with my hunt was basically the area. I drove so much, felt like my ass was glued to the truck for the whole entire hunt. It was my first time in the area so I didn't really know what to look for. I was hunting the Messilinka River, accessed it through the Tenaki (sp?) FSR, it's basically the FSR that branches off the Osilinka-Finlay FSR, the one that goes towards Aiken Lake and Johanson Lake in 6-18. All the slopes were covered in snow and most of them were like 10 km from the road. So if I understand right, am I supposed to hike 10kms through the forest to reach the slope and then hike the slope if there are grizzlies? It's just that if I spot one from the road, what's the probability that it will still be there after 3 hours of hiking? Shouldn't there be slopes closer to the road? Plus, all the bears I saw were around in the evening, I would reach them and it would be nightfall if I were to hike through the forest and all the way up the slopes... not comfortable about that one.

For all of you that know the area, was I hunting a bad spot? I was so disappointed, the four grizzlies I saw were right off the main FSR and there is just way too much traffic to start pulling the trigger. I was imagining that the roads would hug the slopes and that it would just be a matter of climbing the slope to harvest the grizzly but the area is really not like that. It's huge and good spots are hard to find! I used so much gas looking for slopes it's crazy! Help? Do any of you know of any other good spots to look for? Better yet, do any of you want to join me next week-end to show me the ropes? At least to point me in the right direction? It's just that the area is so big, it's overwhelming. I really need some advice! Thanks so much!

GoatGuy
05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes walk 10 kms.

Yes they will generally still be there. They'll often pop out on different slides or in different spots throughout the day.

Once the rut gets fired up the boars will be on the move until they find a willing participant.

This time of year sit at the bottom of the slide or across the valley and glass. Then you can observe/judge/make sure its a board/no cubs etc.,

Usually don't try to make a play until the wind changes and blows downhill about 30min - 1 hour before dark. Wind must be blowing steady otherwise you'll get busted, then it's tough to find the bear.

Finally there's nothing wrong with shooting off a FSR. Make sure you meet the legal requirements and give 'er. The loggers and miners in that part of the world usually thank you or give you the thumbs up when you harvest a bear. Many of them have been chased/harrased/had their equipment chewed up or otherwise in that part of the world - they like bear hunters!! I've had them give me a hand loading bears up on more than one occasion in that MU.

rgv
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
that is how it works. Find a big bear, watch him for a day or so, a lawnchair and a spotting scope on a tripod works good on road based stuff, then hike in with a packboard (ever lift a green bearhide with skull). Bring a spike camp in case you don;t make it back out.

Some don;t consider it 'fair chase', but a partner on the spotting scope and two-way radios simplify things a lot too.

I also agree with GoatGuy, hunting is hunting, legal is legal. A good bear near the FSR would be fair game to me.

Beardy
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the advice rgv... have you ever hunted that MU before?

Mr. Dean
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
CRAP!
Pack a tent, grab a compass..... GO!

You're only goin to kick yourself in the a$$, if you don't. Take the time to pattern him is great advice.

Beardy
05-14-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm ready to go man! I've got my tent, my GPS, my packboard... the only problem is finding good slopes. The area is so big I feel like I could drive around all year looking for decent slopes. Maybe I was too early, considering there was nothing green yet so no bears on the slopes I glassed... In my opinion, the slopes that I was looking at were crap. I need some better spots to glass but again, the area is so big and isolated, I need to plan to tow a fuel tanker behind my truck the way things are going! :-P hahaha It's just that instead of driving around randomly, I need to focus on a specific area... that's the key. I just don't know where... Thanks for the advice

CRAP!
Pack a tent, grab a compass..... GO!

You're only goin to kick yourself in the a$$, if you don't. Take the time to pattern him is great advice.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm ready to go man! I've got my tent, my GPS, my packboard... the only problem is finding good slopes. The area is so big I feel like I could drive around all year looking for decent slopes. Maybe I was too early, considering there was nothing green yet so no bears on the slopes I glassed... In my opinion, the slopes that I was looking at were crap. I need some better spots to glass but again, the area is so big and isolated, I need to plan to tow a fuel tanker behind my truck the way things are going! :-P hahaha It's just that instead of driving around randomly, I need to focus on a specific area... that's the key. I just don't know where... Thanks for the advice

Google Earth is your friend, my friend!!!!
Saves a lot on gas knowing where you want to go and glass from. Check out the most exposed slopes and cuts and go from there.

As GG said the rut is about to heat up and the boars will be on the move.

SSS

Beardy
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Google Earth is your friend, my friend!!!!
Saves a lot on gas knowing where you want to go and glass from. Check out the most exposed slopes and cuts and go from there.

As GG said the rut is about to heat up and the boars will be on the move.

SSS

Yeah, good idea. I forgot about google Earth. I'm leaving again this Friday hopefully! I hope it won't be too late! Thanks for the advice!

Mr. Dean
05-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I'd try and figure out the food source of that big'un... Thats likely the only goal he cares about right now.

todbartell
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM
I need to focus on a specific area... that's the key. I just don't know where... Thanks for the advice

the spots where you seen the grizzly bears would be a good place to start :)

Beardy
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
the spots where you seen the grizzly bears would be a good place to start :)

Really? I had no idea! ;) hahahaha Yeah, I staked that spot during my second day, it was near a swamp and seemed perfect, considering nothing was green (no slopes and stuff) the only problem with that spot is that it is right next to a main FSR where ore trucks drive by every hour or so, scares the shit out of the bears. Made me wonder whether or not it was just a coincidence I saw them on the first day. When green slopes are not available, what kind of terrain would you expect them to hang in?

KodiakHntr
05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
You know Phil, that doesn't really bother the bears in that area too much. The ore trucks run pretty much 24/7, so the critters are pretty used to them coming by a regular intervals.

And as long as you aren't shooting across or down along the road, you should be fine.

srupp
05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
All great advice...one piece I would care to add..glass from a distance so you can see the ENTIRE SLIDE area moving in and out and where they are eating..LOOK FOR GREEN.. thats where they will be..

WATCH FOR THERMALS when the "air "starts warming be outta there if you are on the BOTTOM of a slide.. watch wind and only go in to spot when the wind is right..a noise may not screw it up but if scented your BUSTED...

Hell yah GET BACK IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steven

rgv
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the advice rgv... have you ever hunted that MU before?

last time I was in there was to burn the Northern Mtn Helicopter base at Johansen Lake in 94 or so. I've been all through there years ago, mostly in the Toogoggone area. All good bear country.

With the late spring, if you can get in at all, the hunting should be good since they are constrained a little more to the greenery.

GoatGuy
05-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Really? I had no idea! ;) hahahaha Yeah, I staked that spot during my second day, it was near a swamp and seemed perfect, considering nothing was green (no slopes and stuff) the only problem with that spot is that it is right next to a main FSR where ore trucks drive by every hour or so, scares the shit out of the bears. Made me wonder whether or not it was just a coincidence I saw them on the first day. When green slopes are not available, what kind of terrain would you expect them to hang in?

If you saw him near a swamp he's probably looking for moose calves. Time to get out the predator call!:lol: Have fun and take a buddy.

Also, it doesn't matter if the slides are green or not. As long as there's dirt there will be bears. Just because it doesn't look green doesn't mean there's fresh veg there. If you saw 4 bears your probably in pretty good bear country.:biggrin:

BlacktailStalker
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Glass the alpine too, esp rocky slides (if there are any and they're exposed)
They eat major amounts of moths from under the rocks believe it or not, its one of their main protein intake sources.

Why didnt you shoot the oprah winfrey ass one ?? Go find him again.

Sitkaspruce
05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Beardy

Sounds like you had a great time. It is also time to check out the areas I told you about. You will not see anybody else around, so you will not have to worry about shooting one on the road and having some one PO'd at you. (not that there is any body who would complain)

Now is the time to spend a good amount of time up there and sit and watch those slopes green up. Supposed to be damn warm this weekend, so the bears will be moving early and later, although most will be hungry and feeding most of the day.

Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Oh yea PM with your email addy and I will do the Google Earth stuff for you.

Cheers

SS

Rackmastr
05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
From my knowledge of 7-38 I can distinctly remember many side roads and many areas where a guy can glass very near the slopes and the chutes. I have hunted both the road to Aiken Lake as well as the road up to Swanell and the road to Aiken Lake as well as right near the Mesalinka River there are a few very good cutblock roads that cut off the main FSR and have some amazing areas to glass chutes.

This time of year we saw tons of bears up high.....and most were within a 2 hour hike from the truck up the hill.....

Good luck man!! Keep at it!

The Hermit
05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Glass south facing slopes.

srupp
05-15-2008, 07:35 AM
down in the swamps they may also be trying for skunk cabbage and fiddleheads to remove the plug IF they have JUST exited from their dens..

Steven