PDA

View Full Version : junior hunter

Rob
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM
My buddies daughter is 11, does she need a license/core to hunt with Her father?(He has all his stuff). Thanks, dont have the regs with me

Arsie
05-13-2008, 10:29 PM
My buddies daughter is 11, does she need a license/core to hunt with Her father?(He has all his stuff). Thanks, dont have the regs with me
I think if she wishes to carry a gun then she needs to take here core course and get her hunting number and licence,,I also think she must be 12 yrs old before she is able to do this

todbartell
05-13-2008, 11:01 PM
you can hunt with a junior license without CORE until 14th bday. Bag limit will be taken from the person she is hunting with

Rob
05-13-2008, 11:04 PM
So how does she get her Hunter number?, does she not need Her core? Thanks Rob

todbartell
05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
she will get her hunter # once completing her core. Until then a junior license requires no CORE or Hunter #, for hunters between the ages of 10 & 14. The license is like $7 and no tags are put on the license

to possess a firearm you need to have a PAL which requires age of 18 or 19. But if she's with someone who has a POL or PAL she can hunt with her own rifle/shotgun because she is in direct supervision, IIRC. A hunting license does not allow someone without a PAL/POL to carry a firearm, despite what some people still think :)

Rob
05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info! Makes sense, lets the kids know what its about without all the studying:lol: Rob

Rob
05-13-2008, 11:10 PM
So can she still put in for LEH'S without the Core as well?

todbartell
05-13-2008, 11:10 PM
she can take her core as of age 10, but alot of times it doesnt hurt to hunt/tag along with a junior license. To get exposure to hunting/firearm handling before taking the core test is a big advantage

you cant apply for LEH without a resident hunting license (aka CORE/Hunter #)

Rob
05-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks Bartell, She can take advantage of the youth seaons though I guess eh. Ex. Reg#3 Sept 1- Sept9 any Buck as long as Shes with Her Dad? Rob

todbartell
05-13-2008, 11:24 PM
yes they can hunt in youth regular seasons :)

Trapper
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
She can not apply for LEH until she takes her core,she needs a hunters number for that,also anything she shoots under her junior licence is done under her dads tags (or who ever she is hunting with) and his bag limit.

Rob
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys, He was told by a core instructor that she needed to have Her CORE before she would be able to hunt. Rob

Rob
05-14-2008, 12:13 PM
It makes sense. This way the kids are able to get a feel for it without the pressures of having to commit to a course.

todbartell
05-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys, He was told by a core instructor that she needed to have Her CORE before she would be able to hunt. Rob

scary that he is teaching kids

Pete
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I get lots of very young folks that often get pushed by their parents into taking the CORE courrse and end up failing which often can be very upsetting to a young person. The course is designed to delivered to a 14 year old at a grade 8 level. Often a 10 yr old has a difficult time with the material. There is a big difference in the capabilites of a 10 yr old and a 14 yr old. This does not apply to all young folks but over the years the younger the person the more difficult the time. I highly recommend that junior hunters hunt with their Dad, Mom, Uncles Aunts or other responsible hunters. Junior hunters are allowed to hunt and carry a firearm if they are accompanied by an adult that has all the appropiate licences and that the junior is under supervision while in the field. If the junior shoots a big game animal then it is tagged out on the person that is with them in the field.