PDA

View Full Version : I would like to give fly fishing a try this summer.

oddsix
05-13-2008, 04:39 PM
This summer i think i should try fly fishing. i have been trolling all my life and its great fun but i think its time for somthing new. What kinda rod would you guys recomend, as in brand,price,durability etc. I'm looking for a overall good rod but not to pricey. Just somthign to get me started. And what kind of line is good? Thanks for any advice.

OS

358win
05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't know where your located oddsix but I just started last summer and love it.
I went to wallyworld and bought a cheepie to get started. I think for 40.00 I got rod, reel & floating line and have been catching 12 to 17 inch cutthroat on a small dry fly. Almost every time I go out I get plenty of action. I guess it will depend on what lake your fishing. I will up grade when i need to (waiting for my fly tieing kit to arrive now:grin:)

oddsix
05-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Im in richmond but i fish lots of the highway 24 lakes. Sheridan,needa,eagan,howard,mahood. Not sure if there any good for fly fishing. ill also start out cheap then upgrade. thanks

OS

kishman
05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd have a look at some of the "ready to fish" outfits most places are carrying these days. Something in a 4 or 5 weight should be ok for the lakes you've listed. Flyfishing is an awsome sport, can't wait to see some trout pics!

oddsix
05-13-2008, 08:16 PM
thanks kish, once i real in the big ones ill make sure to post some pics.:)

Tarp Man
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
If you are planning to fish the interior lakes, stick with a 5 weight. The fish there tend to run bigger than the ones locally. If you are interested in a great shop to get you started, check out Reaction Fly and Tackle just off the #1 Hwy at Whatcom Road in Abbotsford. Also check out www.flybc.ca One of the best fly website forums around.

oddsix
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah i have seen that store many times when filling up but never had the tim to go in. Ill check it out next time. thanks

Dirty
05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Great starter rod for flyfishing is the Temple Fork Signature Series. They run around $99.00 for a 2 piece and are warranteed for life unconditionally. You will not find another rod in that price range with that kind of warranty. As far as reels go, get one with a cartridge system such as the Fenwick DSC's (they come with an extra cartridge). That way you can get a floating line and sink tip or full sink line and use one reel. I would suggest the entry level Scientific Anglers headstart floating line ($30ish). They are designed for new casters to make the rod load better. If you go to Reaction Fly and Tackle they are having a flycasting clinic soon. It is being put on by a hot chick that flyfishes, definitely worth the money if you know what I mean!

oddsix
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Haha i will definatley take that clinic if im anywhere near there. Do you know approx. how much the reel costs? And thanks for all your info.

steelheadSABO
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
a great rod is a diawa algonquin 4 weight for 50$
and a jw young fly reel i got from frenchbar
i would also take a look at the fenwick rods

ruger#1
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
What you talking about tarp man. i use my Stcroix 3wt for the interior lakes. Odd six start with a 5 weight. its better for windy days and you can throw bigger flies with it, get a floating line and a sinking line, I have sth fly reals that take cassettes so you can change fly lines easy. I think Fenwick makes them also.If you have a buddy that ties flies get him to show you how to tie a couple, its fun catching fish on what you have tied yourself. Biggest cutthroat i have caught was 27" long, biggest rainbow on the 3wt was 24" long.

Tarp Man
06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Ruger#1 You are king of the 3wt! That must have been some fight! Odd6 I would pick up a Fishing BC book, made by the same guys who did the Backroad Mapbook series. They are quite helpful. One other rod to look at is the Echo rods. Very affordable and lots of different models. Did you ever get around to Reaction Fly?

Chuck
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I scream when I hear a question like this! It's like asking what kind of a woman is good for a man? Well obviously the answer is as varied as there are women in the world - why else would they make so many different kinds of fly outfits? IMO your best bet is to go somewhere that shows you how and lets you try different weights, lengths, speeds etc. Like getting engaged, and if she's a keeper then marry her.

mrdoog
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I've fly fished for years, one of the most important factors is getting your cast
down.
I was at the Portland Outdoors Show this year and they had a casting pool; the
presenter I watched was awesome. After watching him for 30 minutes I learned so much. He was casting 20 feet as he was talking. He gave examples of problem casters; windshield washers, too much power casters, bull whippers.
My advice to you is to either attend a class, or find a buddy who is proficient
in the art of casting.
I own several rods, reels, lines. My current favourite is rod/reel combo I bought in Vancouver, Wa., for $21.
Got a nice 2lber at Badger Lake last week using that rod. Lots of fun. easy to cast, nice action.

zogg54
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I started out many years ago with a dragonfly package. A 6 weight rod with a cartridge reel to go with it. About $150.00 altogether. This is not top of the line gear by any means, but it certainly is not junk. I believe to get a good feel for fly fishing you should start of with a reasonably decent rod; $100 minimum. If you find out that you love it (and you will) upgrade your rods as you get better at the sport. I use a Sage rod and I don't think I would ever use anything else. However, I still have the old dragonfly reel attached to my Sage. Every year I promise to myself that I will buy one of those fancy, expensive, large arbor reels and then never get around to it. The dragonfly still works like it was brand new and I have caught a lot of fish. Anyway, good luck to you. The only thing I like more than fly fishing is hunting. Loving both just means way more time in the woods. A unsuccessful hunting or fishing trip is at the very least a good camping trip.

Regards,

Zogg54

ruger#1
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Ruger#1 You are king of the 3wt! That must have been some fight! And yes tarp it was a good fight, its easy to do when your in a float tube, let the fish pull you around abit. Im not into realing them in like a bass fisherman!

The Hermit
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Interesting thread. I just got back from Island Outfitters and the guy suggested different rod/reel starter kits priced form about $120 up to $500. He said beyond that the rods are too fast for beginners and would be too hard to learn with anyway.

So, what are the rod characteristics that make a good beginner set up? I liked the idea of the ones that brak down into four pieces for ease of carrying... they seemed to be more expensive ($250 - $350)

358win
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
This summer i think i should try fly fishing. i have been trolling all my life and its great fun but i think its time for somthing new. What kinda rod would you guys recomend, as in brand,price,durability etc. I'm looking for a overall good rod but not to pricey. Just somthign to get me started. And what kind of line is good? Thanks for any advice.

OS

oddsix, I am new to this too. Just bought a 42.00 rod/reel at Walmart and jumped into it. (Iwasn't smart enough to ask for advice like you) Caught many 12 -16 inch rainbows with it and yesterday I caught on a mosquito pattern, a personal best 4 lb rainbow.
I'll be checking this post to see the input from those that know.
tight lines.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/358win99/4lbtrout.jpg