PDA

View Full Version : First stalk for a bear. Bit of a read. Sorry!

springpin
05-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Coming home from work tonight, I saw a nice Black bear. So went home, told the wife, got my gear together and left. Went to the area where I saw him, and poked around for about an hour...Nothing.

So I decided to head to another spot to see what was happening. I arrived above the cut block and saw a beauty Blackie. Drove the truck to the park spot, and started Investigating. This bear was alone, about 3-4 yrs old, and had a beauty coat. I decided to pursue him. This is my first stalk on a Bear, GAME ON!!
I knew how to get to him, because there is an old Mtn. bike trail, that runs through the block. I also know there is a long bridge made of logs on that trail. That would take me pretty close to him quietly. The bridge took me to within 50yrds from him, and cross wind also. I needed to get closer, so one step at a time, I made my way to 33yrds, he didn't know I was there. But I knew he was there...I started to get nervous, brought out the range finder again, he was at 33 yrds(double checked). Now the adrenalin is pumping, and I'm starting to shake. At 33yrds he is now giving me a shot on a silver platter, straight broadside shot. Now, I draw my bow, lock on, shaking even more, and release....and MISS!!! My Easton FMJ, Muzzy MX3, hit the DIRT!! I have never seen a bear climb a tree so fast!!!

The way I see it, is this was a real learning experience. Should of tried to get closer. I guess it was also a patience issue..

Sorry so long,

Springpin

Untouchable
05-12-2008, 10:36 PM
So why didn't you shoot him while he was in the tree?

05-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Keep an eye on the area Spingpin, I'll bet he won't go far.

springpin
05-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Did not have a clear shot.

Dirty
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a good hunt to me. So you missed a shot, it happens. Good call on not making the shot up the tree. You cannot fault a guy for erring on the side of caution. Good job! Head back out tomorrow night and have a look around.

bochunk2000
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Now, I draw my bow, lock on, shaking even more, and release....and MISS

A good miss is better than a bad hit any day. Sounds like you got the heart pumpin'. I'm am still after my first bow bear. Great story.
Steve.

Mr. Dean
05-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Bear Fever.

3 shots of Wisers.
A days rest.
Go back out.
Get him!

Fever cured. :cool:

hunter1947
05-13-2008, 03:30 AM
You proubly had bear fever when you shot at this bear 33 yards is a good distance to put an animal down with a compound bow. if it were me I would go back and try to find him ,I don't think that he is going to be far from the last place you stalked him from.

sneg
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
I think it is great experience. You made stalk and got close to him unnoticed. if you'll be in same situation again you'll get him now.

Sideofabarn
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey, you got to get out hunting, put in a good stalk, and you still get to have two bear tags to fill for the year! Nothing wrong with that. I won't be doing any hunting until after the long weekend. I envy you man...

Wildfoot
05-13-2008, 06:40 PM
nice try! go back out and get him! i wanna see pics!

Archer
05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds like great fun. It will come together if you keep at it.

kennyj
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey great story.Its awesome to get the shakes like that.
Kenny

springpin
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have gone by the spot and have seen him there everyday since. I am gonna try to get him this weekend... I figured I would give him a few days before going after him again...

Springpin.

houndogger
05-15-2008, 09:01 PM
A big stick banging against the tree usually moves them around. I know it can be tough to get a good shot with archer gear.:wink: