PDA

View Full Version : Costco gunsafe

Dano
05-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I was down at the Costco in Lacey a few weeks aback and saw a gun safe for $399. Took all the information and whenI got back checked locally and they can't get it but they said they will be getting a larger model sometime in the future for $799 ( I think that was the price).
Called down to Bellingham costco and they said they has them on sale for $350 and they had 4. I went down this morning and bought one. It was 330# and looked really well built. It cost me $47 taxes at the border so just under $400 plus fuel. A good buy, I think.
They said it would hold 14 guns, I have 10 in it (mostly shotguns) and I think that's pretty much the limit unless you want to knock a few around.
Just thought I would let any of you guys looking know about this, I'm satisfied with it.
Dan

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/gunsafe2.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/gunsafe1.jpg

mud-dog27
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM
nice lookin safe....wish i didnt drive such a gas guzzling pig cause id total make that drive

Steeleco
05-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Do some reading on Gunnutz, there was an issue with humidity in some of those units. They are a good unit for sure, just make sure they don't cause your collection to rust??

Paulyman
05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks, I just happen to need one.

BigBanger
05-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I looking for one as well.Thanks

Mik
05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
My brother bought one, he lives in Edmonton, says he has no issues with moisture.

DrewT
05-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I bought the same safe 6 months ago. It came with a dehumidifier that I recharge every two weeks. No complaints what so ever about my purchase.

hunter1947
05-12-2008, 04:49 AM
I have a friend that has one of those ,he said it is a cooner ,loves it.

Dragginbait
05-12-2008, 07:42 AM
I've got the one with a lock box in the upper left corner, which is good for all your important papers (birth certs., house insurance, regys) I cut notches in the shelf for the shot guns with the longer barrels to stick up through.

Machinist
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I have one as well .( two and a half years old ) it's the previous model that's painted green ** BRINK'S **
and has the small compartment in the upper left for document's . and a shelf on the right , Digital lock etc, no moisture problems at all, and it was
$ 310.00 taxes in from the Coquitlam Costco .

Poguebilt
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I have one as well .( two and a half years old ) it's the previous model that's painted green ** BRINK'S **
and has the small compartment in the upper left for document's . and a shelf on the right , Digital lock etc, no moisture problems at all, and it was
$ 310.00 taxes in from the Coquitlam Costco .

same here!! great safe... mine is 3 or so old now!

bighornbob
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I bought the same safe a few years ago up here at a Costco. Since I dont have that mnmany guns a built some shelves to hold optics, ammo, etc etc.

It did not come with a dehumidifier so I bought one made by Browning. It's like a powder that you just throw in the oven to recharge it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_042.jpg

gearjunkierob
05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Nice buy! I'm a little jealous. I've been keeping my eye out at the local Costco for a while now waiting for those Brinks safes to come back....

brian
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I've had one for about a year. It fits nicely in the corner of a closet. No problems with humidity yet, but my place isn't overly humid either.

oddsix
05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
nice looking safe, looks pretty heavy duty

Machinist
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
The only thing i can say wrong about mine is when it was new it had quite a strong paint / mothball smell to it , due to the die they used to color the cloth on the inside , i just let it sit in the garage for a week with the door open to air out and that took care of most of it.:cool:

Dano
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Let's see....
It did come with the lock box and shelves but as was mentioned, my shotguns are too tall and I haven't made any mods yet.
It came with he de-humidifier.
It does have a strong paint/mothball smell!!

My dad bought the one a few years back, this one is comparable. When I called the Coquitlam Costco they said they will be getting a larger safe but it will be close to $800.
Dan
P.S. My dad let his battery die and couldn't find his key... I think he got the replacement key the other day. Lucky for him it wasn't hunting season!

Red Foreman
05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
What's that pink thing you have in there?

Bowzone_Mikey
05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
alot of people have combated the moisture thing by putting a 40 W lite bulb into the safe and leaving it on all the time .... I would just go to an RV store and get some of that dri Ease stuff ...

Most units I have seen wont hold a 29" barrell on a Monte stock
would this one ?

Rob
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Ive got the green Brinks one from Costco as well, love it. The only problem was I thought I could get it in the house myself, 350lbs! Not gonna happen.Rob

Dano
05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
What's that pink thing you have in there?

It's the cleaning rod for my shotguns. It's call the "Tico Tool", made by Outers and it works great. Bought while at Cabelas in Lacey.

Bowzone_Mikey,
With the top shelf in, you need to be under 49" total length to fit under it. My Beretta A303 (30" barrel), BT-99 (32" barrel, and Browning A5 (30" barrel) don't make it. I'll figure out something though.
Dan

David Heitsman
05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I have the Costco Brinks model with the digital lock and have had it for 2 - 3 years now. I kind of like the smell in it.

I keep the guns, optics, cameras, ammo, wills, and insurance etc. inside.

Living in Abbotsford with an air-conditoned home: should I be watching for humidity issues.

Haven't noticed any rust at all.

Wolfman
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Looks good!

If I did that drive, however, my Ford's Triton V8 would probably cost me more 'n' the safe in gas ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

popcan
05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I have two of them, now over 4 years old, no big issues. Had to adjust the bars inside on one of the doors, as it was jamming/binding a bit, and had to replace batteries twice on one of the units.

Honestly, they are not super-secure safes.... and should not be confused with a "real" heavy duty fireproof safe.... but they do an excellent job for the price, and easily meet CFC requirements.