PDA

View Full Version : Goat in region 3

captain highliner
05-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at the LEH synopsis and am seriously thinking of putting in for Mountain Goat in 3-16, 3-33, (around Lytton) etc. The odds are OK and it's pretty close to the ferry for an Islander. Have any of you had any luck there in the past? Is logging road access OK or is there lots of private land? I'm a bit familiar with the area from when I used to live in the Interior, but that was years ago.

Obviously, these are questions that I should research in depth on my own before the hunt, but right now I just would like an opinion as to whether it's even worth putting in a draw?

Cheers,
Captain Highliner

Gateholio
05-11-2008, 05:58 PM
It's steep country and the access isn't as good as it used to be. Many of the older roads have been washed out a few times, and I heard that a bridge was destroyed by some natives protesting a ski resort on the Duffey Lake Road, so that eliminates one access point.

You can get to all the areas, you just might have to hike more.

It's steep coastal mountain hunting, so you should know that beforehand.:-P

MattB
05-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Theres goats all along the highway up above the bridge river!

frenchbar
05-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Theres goats all along the highway up above the bridge river! There is but a lot of the access is through first nations lands its also steep terrain .your better off putting in for 3-16.

frenchbar
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/goat_pic.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9217&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)3-33 goats from the other day.

MattB
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Nice pic! Find any sheds lately?

frenchbar
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
havent been out ,been busy with other things .going out camping this weekend and probably spend a day trucking through the firs searching for some bone . i see youve been doing good on the finds.

MattB
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Not as good as usual, i picked up a 4 point and a dead 3 point muley on friday. Scooped up 8 more yesterday. The long weekend should be good im hoping!

frenchbar
05-11-2008, 07:06 PM
supposed to be nice and hot ,and i got 5 days off so shoukld be able to make time to get a couple days in .wanna try the jeep out as well:smile:

David Heitsman
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
We took a goat on the southeast side of Skihist Mtn in 3-16 zone C I think.
At the time you could drive to the base of the hill and hike a couple hours
to the goats. You went in on the upper Kioeek Rd.
Now they have de-activated the roads and pulled the bridges and I think it would a days hike (15 K?) just to the base of the mtn. You couldn't hike in from the Litton side as it is probably 2500' of vertical to get on top from the Fraser.

I flew it two years ago and only saw two goats from the air. I'm sure there is more there just didn't see them.

ElectricDyck
05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Kwioek is blocked at about 2km from large slide (shown in picture). The hike to the the border ridge of 3:16 from the end of kwioek is 5000' to approx 8000' in elevation no trail.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/BostonBarBearHuntMay2008053.jpg

captain highliner
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply with all the info. I'm gonna go for it, hopefully I'm lucky and get a chance to hit the region 3 high country for goats this fall.

I also noticed that there's a regular season for sheep in 3-17, 3-31, and 3-32. Anybody have any success with that? I assume the same access issues apply as for goat. I didn't realize that there were that many sheep in the area, but it makes sense given the topography.

ElectricDyck
05-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I love google earth, especially the distance measuring tape and elevation numbers, helps put things into perspective when going into a new area.

David Heitsman
05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Electricdyck"

I've seen goats not 300 yards from where your standing there. Of course there is no season on them that close to the river.

Can you get an ATV thru that blockage?

About 5 - 6 years ago there was a slide closer to the river that blocked it for a long time but somebody walked a cat in and pushed the boulders back so you could get thru. Wonder how long it will take this time?

ElectricDyck
05-17-2008, 06:26 AM
I've seen goats not 300 yards from where your standing there. Of course there is no season on them that close to the river.

Can you get an ATV thru that blockage?

We had lunch there and watched 2 goats climb the cliffs. My first time seeing goats like that, it was amazing how they hug the sheer drop offs.

Yeah you can get a quad through.