PDA

View Full Version : Was it a wolf kill ?

Slime green cat
05-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I was up at Larson hill on the Coq yesterday ATVing and came aross a bunch of moose bones .... It was a young bull .
The skull and a few rib bones and a leg bone were in the main pile and there were ribs, vertibrae and leg bones scattered in different spots in a hundred foot radius ?
It made me think it must have been wolves ?? each one taking a chunk and eating it in different spots ? I would think a bear or cougar would kill and eat in one spot ?
What are everyones thoughts ?

I also saw a young moose on a pipeline cut .... I crested a hill and he was right in front of me, he walked off the trail into the tree's and then just stopped and looked at me . I shut the Rhino off and walked towards him .... he would take a few steps and then pause and look at me again, he wasn't scared at all ? I followed him until the bush got too thick and he dissapeared .
It's amazing how an animal that size can walk through bush without even making a sound, yet the bush got so thick I couldn't even get through it :-o

I also saw a couple bears .... one walked right past us on the road where our trucks were parked and made his way up the bank towards the highway . he didn't seem to pay much attention even when we whistled at him .... no fear at all :-?
And then driving home, between the Juliet creek overpass and the Mine creek exit I seen a BIG !! blackie ... big head on him and a redish brown color on his back .... would have made a nice rug .
He was relaxing under a tree about 50 ft from the game fence watching the cars go by :lol:

It was a good day in the bush, lots of interesting sights :-)

MattB
05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Could be wolves. A biologist told me that a cat will eat its kill and not scatter the bones all over the country. Coyotes, on the other hand, will...

Fisher-Dude
05-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Could be a pack of samsquanches from Pemberton. They are nasty beasts!

Poguebilt
05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Ive seen LOC leave a mess like that behind! Larson hill is on the way to his property... never know!

houndogger
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Were the bones chewed on?

Slime green cat
05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Were the bones chewed on?
Nope, didn't see any chew marks .
I guess the moose could have died some way other than a predator and then Coyotes had their way with the carcass ??
I would think it would take a more powerful animal than a coyote to seperate vertibrae on a moose :eek:
Maybe a Sow with a couple second or third year cubs ??? do they eat together or take a chunk and go off on their own ??
Just curious is all .... I thought it was kind of neat that it may have been a wolf kill, I dont doubt there are wolves in the area, but I think they are still quite rare ?

Pete
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Looking at a pile of bones and saying that it is a wolf kill is jumping to conclusions that may not be even close to being correct. Even seeing a wolf, coyote, bear or a cougar on a kill does not mean that they were the one that killed that particular animal but rather they are the ones that were observed at the site. Once that animal is down everything will dine off it.

Wolfman
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Could be a pack of samsquanches from Pemberton. They are nasty beasts!

Gotta watch them samquanches - especially the ones from Sunnyvale Trailer Park ;-)

Geez, whatever happened to Trailer Park Boyz anyway, eh? Supposed to be a new season starting filming soon.

Wolfman

hunter1947
05-12-2008, 05:01 AM
My thoughts ,it was a pack of wolfs that did this.

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Looking at a pile of bones and saying that it is a wolf kill is jumping to conclusions that may not be even close to being correct. Even seeing a wolf, coyote, bear or a cougar on a kill does not mean that they were the one that killed that particular animal but rather they are the ones that were observed at the site. Once that animal is down everything will dine off it.

Pete, you're a sharp cookie! :wink:

By the time it's all said and done you could have had every scavenger and predator take a bite out of it.

Unless you saw it happen, or actually know what you're looking for you don't know what happened.

4pointer
05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
I've walked up on a cougar and his kill last year. It looked exactly how you described but it was also up in the tree. Most of it was on the ground half buried.