PDA

View Full Version : Leica rangefinder question

BlacktailStalker
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Do the Leica rangefinders take into consideration the angle, like the ARC bushnells ?
Or are they ballistically challenged still.
Time to upgrade the bushnell yardage pro I think.

eaglesnester
05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
No, but they will perform well in low light, dark backgrounds, good optics, simple to use, dead accurate, DID I SAY EASY TO USE? The CRF 1200 comes to mind. Point it at the target hold er steady and push the button. You do not have to search through endless menus and push buttons in complicated sequences.

model88
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I have the Bushnell 1500 ARC. If you want to use the bullet drop info, then yeah you gotta plug in a little info. Otherwise it is a simple point and shoot rangefinder.

There are some features you can turn off and on when you want but otherwise it is very simple, albeit not as simple as the Leica.

killman
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
My luppy rx2 does as well haven't had a chance to use yet though.

338 winmag
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Just buy the Leica crf then u wont have to keep upgrading every other year , fits nicely in your shirt pocket and clear enough to substitute for a pair of binoculars if wanted.

Gateholio
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I had a Bushnell ARC 1500, and it was a good RF. The angle and bullet drop feature are great if you spend a few minutes and figure out how to use it.

It has a few features that I didn't need, but it's got something for everyhting. Just set it on what your needs are. I expect it's great for bowhunters for angles from treestands.

Anyway, last year I soaked mine, and I mean SOAKED it....Liek it was in a puddle of water in my pack for hours at cold temps. It leaked and fogged up. So I sent it back to Bushnell for replacement. I really don't think that the way I treated it was representitive of how it shoudl be treated, but it DID say WATERPROOF!!

Anyway, Bushenell always seems to make good on thier warranties but they take forever. So I bought a Leica 1200 while I was waiting. Our sponsor, Omineca Source for Sports in Vanderhoof BC, gave me an incredible deal and I couldn't pass it up.

I like the Leica better. It's smaller and does what I want it to do- Range find. That is ALL it does, but it's aboutthe size of a deck of cards, so that is better for me.:tongue:

mikek blacktail
05-11-2008, 06:39 AM
if yah want to try one out I just got the 900 amonth ago

boxhitch
05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I may be wrong here, but IIRC the Bushnell tells you what your holdover should be according to ballistics programmed in for your cartridge ?
And the Leica gives corrected horizontal distance, requiring either turret setting change, or hold over according to attached notepaper showing ballistics table?

blaker_99
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
My oldest brother owns the Leica 1200 and it is the most amazing rangefinder we have ever looked through. It performs very well in low light and delivers very accurate measurments. We compared the distances with that of my Scout 1000 with ARC and it was quite a bit more accurate even at short distances ie. 30-90 yards. If it were me i would hands down go for the Leica but i really wanted the ARC funtction of the Scout 1000 ARC.

todbartell
05-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Ive owned both Elite 1500 ARC and the CRF 1200

For flat out ranging, the Bushnell is a bit better, considering it will calculate true horizontal distance, and give bullet drop out to 600 yards. But as a complete package the Leica takes the cake, and its what I use now

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1200_CRF_001.jpg

pictured with a 280 Remington shell for reference

PS a real good bang-for-the-buck LRF is the new Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC, which is only slightly bigger than the Leica CRF, and has ARC technology. Only downfall is it isnt terribly powerful, trees @ 600 yards is about max. Price is around $375