PDA

View Full Version : Hunting North of Pitt Lake

pupper
05-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Im planning a boat in trip north of pitt lake for spring black bear, just wondering who has done this before in this area and if you have any advice or direction for a newbi to the pitt lake area. I will be flying over this week to see if there are some spots that catch my eye but I thought I could start getting some information here. I know it can get very choppy on the lake, and I am not going for slumach's gold so I should be okay in that department.Any tips, precautions,warnings, success stories are welcome here.

longwalk
05-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Good luck up there, somewhere I would love to go. I have heard there are lots of bear and deer in the upper Pitt.

ElectricDyck
05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
You should stop at the hot springs and take pictures, always wanted to go there too.

David Heitsman
05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Do you have one of those jets that you can carry an ATV on or are you planning on docking your boat and walking up the river to hunt?

Wolfman
05-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Watch out for sasquatches.

Wolfman

pupper
05-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Do you have one of those jets that you can carry an ATV on or are you planning on docking your boat and walking up the river to hunt?
we are going to bring some mountain bikes and bike the logging roads and do some hiking.

Jelvis
05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Mu 2-8
Fraser North-Golden Ears Park
Like the rest of the Lower Mainland on the North bank of the Fraser, this is rain forest of the dampest sort. Persistent cloud cover reduces the productivity of the game lands. Openings are few. Lots of deer and bear in upper Pitt, Indian Arm. Jel boat access and the odd lakeside abandoned logging road.

Dad and son
05-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Pitt Lake is a difficult lake to drive a boat on because of the waves and the shallow locations. You definitely need to follow the buoys. If you have not driven a boat on this lake before please talk to me or someone familiar with the lake as you will end up with problems if you do not. Make sure you stop at the hot springs as they are only 5 minutes off the main logging road. Don't forget a spare bike tube, last time I was up one of the fellows broke his chain. We had a spare bike along so he was OK. There are bears up there.

pupper
05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
where abouts are the hot springs up there? any one care to share the Coordinates?

ElectricDyck
05-11-2008, 08:06 AM
where abouts are the hot springs up there? any one care to share the Coordinates?

It's in the backroads map book, even used to be a small picture. Looks like a nice one and the lack of traffic would keep it cleaner than the rest.

dino
05-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Buy a gas powered off road scooter .they are cheap and only weigh about 50 pounds,unless your in wicked shape use the bike its steep in there,Ive been.

Doe Eyes
05-11-2008, 04:48 PM
The hot springs are about 20+ K up the road from the dock. First section of road up to the logging camp is all private property. Would not hurt to find out who Jerry is...as he is the camp caretaker and letting him know that you are up there.

lip_ripper00
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I neve never been up to the North Pitt, but plan to do this, this season (my 4 stroke outboard is more fuel efficent than my Suzuki) I have 2 Honda Sprees about 80 lbs each, it is close enough for a week end. I have been in to the lake many times. (great beach right hand side just South of Goose Island) Between Grant narrows and Goose Island it can be a bitch, the lake is tidal controlled late afternoon winds blow down the lake, and if the tide is coming in it can get lumpy, get a chart and follow the bouys, hope this helps. LR

Jimbo
05-12-2008, 08:52 AM
You definately need some kind of motorized transport in there. There is very good bear hunting but it is several km. from the beach and up the mountains. I don't think a bike is a good option.

humble hunter
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
still snow at the hot springs, I was sledding last weekend and we rode from the squamish side over the top of the mamquam glacier and down the other side and were looking down on the upper pitt logging road We could not find a safe route down the snow very unstable and we did not want to get into something we couldn't get out of. I do not want to part with 1000 bucks for a heli right now. There is still ALOT of snow in the hills around the coast.

EvanG
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Nice little elk herd taking off up there as well.