PDA

View Full Version : Bear Down!

Wildfoot
05-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Well I just finished skinning and quartering my first bear! Sorry I didn't snap any pics. I was just getting everything sorted for gutting when i found that I had lost my knife! I had another 2 knives with me, but no sharpening stone and they were both utility knives! So instead of pics I had to rush the whole bear home and deal with it in the backyard! By then it was too dark for pics, and I was in quite a rush. So no, no pictures. Did take one of the bullet hole. if anyone is interested.

Now the story!.

Went out this evening about 6:30 and headed up the FSR's around White Lake. I was scoutin for a nice camping spot for may long, and Lee Enfield decided to tag along. Well on the way up I didnt see much. Managed to put a few nice campspots into the gps for later but that was about it. Was commin back down to go home for dinner when i startled a blackie in the middle of the road. So, following advice off this site I drove about 1/2 km down the road and decided to take a walk back up. I didn't get a great look at the bear so I was at least curious to see him a little closer. I took my time and walked a few yards up a couple grassy roads before rounding the corner back to where I saw the bear. Low and behold he was still there! just cruising down the ditch munchin on grass. I decided to put the stalk on. I closed the distance between me and the bruin from about 250 yds to 70 - 80 yards and took cover behind a dirt mound and watched him for a while. After about 30 minutes of watching I had decided he was alone (no cubs), and was decent sized. I wasn't looking at a monster, but I thought he would be good for a first bear. I lined up the sights and waited for a nice quarting away or broadside shot. After about 10 minutes something startled him up the road from us, and he started to go into the bush - this was my chance! I waited as he turned and headed up a little bank. He stopped for a quick look behind his back and BANG! I sent 180g of lead into his lungs. Classic bang flop. He actually rolled all the way down the bank and into the middle of the FSR! how convienient!

well there was some ground shrinkage, Id age him at 1-2 years old. nose to tail about 4' 6". I was a little let down at the size, but the fur was in great condition and since this will be my first sample of bear meat, I am kind of glad to get a younger bear.

the bullet entered through the elbow, hit the lungs and heart and exited just clipping the meat of the far front leg. There was no heart to be found inside - complete jello! Pretty good for a 100 year old rifle ;) entry and exit wounds in the rib cage were both around 2.5" diameter. Hole in the hide was pretty much just a 30 cal hole.

Well overall, I had a blast! Great way to spend the evening and I have dinner for the next month or 2, and a great new rug to go in our living room!

Thanks all for the advice! Now I can focus my energy on getting Calamity Jane a big bruin, and try takin a few newbies out for their first hunting experiences!

Another note: I did the gutless method of deboning the bear. I dont think I will ever cut into the body cavity again! Way less smell and mess! Definately worth trying this method out, if you have not already.

Can anyone reccommend a good taxidermist in the kamloops - salmon arm area? Any idea what it will cost to get a rug made - just cape, no skull.

I will snap pics of the hyde as soon as i get it back from the taxidermist!

BigBanger
05-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Nice , wow you got me so pumped .
Some times it just happins eh.
godd thing Lee Enfield decided to tag along.

Mr. Dean
05-09-2008, 12:24 AM
FREAKIN' WOW!!!
Excellent write-up and a good story. Thanks for that!

Question Period:

- Good chance it was a bigger bear that spooked him. Did you notice what he was looking back for?
- Boar or Sow?
- White or yellow fat?
- How did it smell?

As for a taxi out that ways, try looking up Dan @ TrueLife Studios, located in Monty Creek. Turn around is a little on the slow side but his work is decent and he's an honest family man. Look over his studio and judge for yourself, before commiting. He wont mind.

Other than that, I'd say bring it down here and let Mainlanhunter take care of it. I KNOW he runs a smooth operation.

Congrat's on your 1st EVER Bear!!!

srupp
05-09-2008, 12:33 AM
congradulations well done....now you can go and camp on the long weekend..dont feel bad bears are definatly the hardest big game animal to judge..and by far the ones linked to "ground shrinkage "

Steven

Wildfoot
05-09-2008, 12:40 AM
FREAKIN' WOW!!!
Excellent write-up and a good story. Thanks for that!

Question Period:

- Good chance it was a bigger bear that spooked him. Did you notice what he was looking back for?
- Boar or Sow?
- White or yellow fat?
- How did it smell?

It was a bigger black bear that spooked him, sow with cubs was just commin out of the creek back at my van when i went back to it. She must have been cruisin down the creek along the other side of the road.

It was a boar

The fat was white. no smell at all. the meat smells great actually!

thanks for all the kind words!

aspo
05-09-2008, 01:12 AM
well done, sounds like my first bear. I reccomend you get the meat made into pepporoni and sausage. Personally i think its too strong of a taste for steaks.
hopefully i get a bit of your luck on the long weekend

Mr. Dean
05-09-2008, 01:13 AM
The fat was white. no smell at all. the meat smells great actually!

I predict that bear as a fine eater ---> Cut all the steaks you can. Use the fronts for burger or sausage. Get into the backstraps ASAP!

I have a BBQ. :wink: :cool: :mrgreen:

hunter1947
05-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Good for you wildfoot ,and very good write up on the story ,I don't know which one out of the two is better ,the bear taken or the write up ,congrats to you.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

franKENloader
05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
congrats on the bar ! i appreciate all the details thats very interesting

TIKA 300
05-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Good on ya,and great write up :smile:.TK

sealevel
05-09-2008, 06:10 AM
good going wildfoot. The`s a taxi close to you ,Dawn to Dusk, at notch hill. But i would recommend either arrowhead, or wildside both do good work.

3kills
05-09-2008, 06:51 AM
As for a taxi out that ways, try looking up Dan @ TrueLife Studios, located in Monty Creek. Turn around is a little on the slow side but his work is decent and he's an honest family man. Look over his studio and judge for yourself, before commiting. He wont mind.

i will second dan at true life he did up my bear a couple years ago and he didnt an awesome job and he is reasonably priced..i think a 4'6 bear would run around the 600 to 700 dollar range...i think when i got mine done dan was 125. a foot and 35 bucks to skin out the head and paws if it needs to be done...congrats on ur first bear..its more exciting then shootin ur first buck isnt it...

Archer
05-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Way to go, Wildfoot! Gotta love the first of any species. Sounds like he'll be a good eater. I managed to score my first archery bear on wednesday and I'll post pics and story later.
Congrats:biggrin:

Blainer
05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Way to go,and great story.Sounds like you were real patient.
The bear would probably be older than 1 or there would have been a sow with it.The sows generally send them off after the secound year,so probably at least a 2 year old.I'm not a big fan of bearmeat,but I would share some bear and beans just for the story and adventure.

tomahawk
05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I predict that bear as a fine eater ---> Cut all the steaks you can. Use the fronts for burger or sausage. Get into the backstraps ASAP!

I have a BBQ. :wink: :cool: :mrgreen:

Agree 100%, this will be prime eating and make great steaks, hamburgers and sausage. If your real adventerous get a hind cured, delicious ham!

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Good kill ! and great story ! Joe Sarrazin (Arrowhead Taxidermy) does good work. He is pretty busy so it might take a while to get it back , you can contact him at the silver creek store. He also gives good deals on artchery supplies , try your next one with a bow, now there is a rush!!!

2slow
05-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Good story congrats nice job

Wildfoot
05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
thanks for the replies.

I will be making mostly ground and sausage. I plan to keep the loins, ribs and hams for bbqing. Im going to try and cure my own ham. I was hoping for more belly meat so I could try making my own bacon as well.

I tried last year to arrow a bear, had the opportunity a few times but didnt take the shot since I was holding out for a larger bear. This year I decided to not be as picky ;). Definately will be with archery tackle next time. Sneaking within 70 yards was tough, but sneaking to 20 yards is pure pants wettin excitement!

Ive got a few different names of taxidermists in this area and kelowna. I think I will check out some of their showrooms and decide based on that. How should I store the hide? right now its bagged up and frozen.

Mr. Dean
05-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Open up the bag!
It only retains heat. The inner portion of the folds could likely spoil before freezing.

Elkhound
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM

me too. nice job by the way. Too bad about the long drag to the truck;)