PDA

View Full Version : Group or Individual for LEH?

Gun Babe
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I am a new hunter and would like to know if you would have a better chance in the LEH lotto if you are an individual or as a group?

GoatGuy
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Shared hunt so long as no one has reduced odds. Group hunts give you the worst odds.

hunter1947
05-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Shared hunt is the best alright. Just make sure non of you have got picked in the last 3 years or your odds will all be reduced.

Benthos
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
are you guys sure that the entire group odds will be reduced if just one has been picked in the previous few years? it was my understanding the draws are still done on an individual basis, but, if one of the people in the shared hunt group are pulled, then the whole group gets the draw. so, if one has reduced odds, only they would have reduced odds during the actually lottery

GoatGuy
05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
are you guys sure that the entire group odds will be reduced if just one has been picked in the previous few years? it was my understanding the draws are still done on an individual basis, but, if one of the people in the shared hunt group are pulled, then the whole group gets the draw. so, if one has reduced odds, only they would have reduced odds during the actually lottery

"5. HOW GROUP APPLICATIONS ARE HANDLED IN THE DRAW
Throughout the above process, in all of the three passes through the file of applications, Group Applications are
treated exactly as an individual application. In other words, only one random number is assigned for a group. If
any member of the group is ‘flagged’ as previously successful, then the entire group is treated as ‘flagged’. If the
group is drawn, then all members of the group receive authorizations to hunt. However, if the computer looks at a
group application and there are too few authorizations still available for the hunt of choice to give each member of
the group an authorization, then the entire group is passed over and not assigned any authorizations. The computer
then moves to the next application on the file.

6. LIMITED ENTRY SHARED MOOSE HUNTS
Limited Entry Shared moose hunts were introduced in the 2001 draw on an experimental basis for late bull hunts
in Region 3 only. They are similar to group hunts, but instead of all group members being entitled to take a
moose, there is a group limit. Under Limited Entry Shared Hunting, a group of two may take only one moose,
while a group of three or four may take two moose. It does not matter which group member actually harvests the
moose, but all participating group members must possess a valid moose hunting licence and no individual group
member may kill more than one moose.
The idea behind Limited Entry Shared moose hunting is to give more hunters the opportunity to hunt without significantly
increasing the number of moose harvested. Applicants are not required to apply for these hunts as part
of a group – they may apply as individuals if they wish – but group applications are given a higher chance of
being drawn than single applications. Unlike the regular group applications described in the previous section,
group Shared Hunt applications enter the draw individually rather than as one. If any member of a group application
for a Shared Hunt is drawn, then the entire group is drawn. Therefore, a group of four applying for a Shared
Hunt has four chances to be drawn whereas an individual application has only one chance,
This concept was confined to the pilot project in Region 3 for three years. After the 2003 draw, Limited Entry
Shared moose hunts were evaluated and the decision was made to expand them to all moose hunts in all areas
of the province, commencing with the 2004 draw."

__________________________________________________ ___________
Although it doesn't stipulate there - reduced odds apply to shared hunts as well.:smile:

308BAR
05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Here's one for the mathematicians we've been debating this amongst our friends.

Lets say you go a shared draw the previous year. Your odds are reduced by 50% this year.

Would you have better odds entering as a individual or entering as a shared group again?

Some say yes, some say no. Me I just know cause I'm not a mathematician. ;)

Gun Babe
05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Thank you for the replies so far....but being my real first time hunting with the husband, is there a difference between SHARED and GROUP.

I want to go for a antlerless tag. Being a disabled hunter I am very excited to get out and about on the quad with my new rifle, and I thought a doe would be a sure find. When I went last year (no tag just loooking) all I saw were doe.

Red Foreman
05-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Gun Babe I beleive doe draws are all single draws.No shared or group hunts.