PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eat raw liver from your kill?

BiG Boar
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I have heard stories of hunters eating the liver raw once the animal is downed. Is this true? Do any of you do it? What organs do you go for first? Raw or cooked, what organs do you take? Dare I ask if anyone cooks up the animals willie? BTW that would be really sic. Anyone ever drink milk from a deer or anything wierd like that? Anyone ever eat the black bears gall bladder and get massive wood? Should be an interesting topic.

05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
All of the above, just after I swallow it down I scream RED DAWN, then walk away with my club and wench in hand......
What kind of thread is this??

browningboy
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Dude, thats some sick shit man! or time to get out of the woods and see the light!LOL:lol:

rishu_pepper
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I done ate the deer liver and heart I got on the Island, but cooked, of course. They were both quite tasty, though deer liver is not as good as store-bought pork liver.

I have had raw beef liver sushi before :eek: (it wasn't that great :-?) Visit the wonderfully weird country known as Japan.

Steeleco
05-08-2008, 08:34 AM
There is a reason we COOK out meat, we're not dogs!!! Well most of us anyway!

The bladder as HOT of a topic as it is, needs to be dried and ground to dust, then it's used for WHATEVER your mind tells you it's good for.

If you've ever seen one up close, a "WOOD" as you say is the last thing on your mind!!!

mrdoog
05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I used to eat the fleas off Gophers until I learned they may carry the Plague.

BiG Boar
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
http://agonist.org/candy/20060403/animal_penis_on_the_menu_at_new_beijing_restaurant

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/eating-raw-deer-liver/2628762981?icid=acvsv1

One chronicles a Mr. Wen who lived to a ripe old age due to drinking milk and had a great complexion to boot. And did you know that drinking pig’s milk can help a baby to sleep?
Turn left and walk further down. At the end there’s a display on deer milk. It was commonly consumed by northern Chinese tribes, such as the Manchurians, to help defend against the cold.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/LifesizeArticles/01/e/0149428A3.html

I mean the native people used all parts of the animal at one time so I just thought I would find out what people are using these days?

eastkoot
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
When I lived and worked in Lillooet years ago, the natives, after killing a deer did infact pass the raw liver around and each had a bite!!!

Beardy
05-08-2008, 09:24 AM
This is the funniest reply I have ever read! LOL

All of the above, just after I swallow it down I scream RED DAWN, then walk away with my club and wench in hand......
What kind of thread is this??

srupp
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
hmmm considering that the the liver processes and filters toxins from your blood..I would suggest thats NOT a very good idea for liver..eating it raw..

soaked in cold water ice cold..then rinsed well dipped in milk..then rolled in a mixture of salt/pepper and flour fried on high with onions...delicious

raw..yuk..

And I personally would never eat any bear liver or heart etc etc..

Steven

Wolfman
05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
I done ate the deer liver and heart I got on the Island, but cooked, of course. They were both quite tasty, though deer liver is not as good as store-bought pork liver.

I have had raw beef liver sushi before :eek: (it wasn't that great :-?) Visit the wonderfully weird country known as Japan.

Yeah, but dude, we already know you eat just about anything ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

kishman
05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
........shudder......shudder

newhunterette
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I have heard stories of hunters eating the liver raw once the animal is downed. Is this true? Do any of you do it? What organs do you go for first? Raw or cooked, what organs do you take? Dare I ask if anyone cooks up the animals willie? BTW that would be really sic. Anyone ever drink milk from a deer or anything wierd like that? Anyone ever eat the black bears gall bladder and get massive wood? Should be an interesting topic.

you crack me up - good greif - are y'all getting that bored or just having a delayed "LSD" trip

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
What's Worm Boy's take on this? Hopefully we can get some video of him eating the guts of the Arrow Bear this weekend! :shock:

ohotnik
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
There is such a hunting tradition in former Soviet Union republics. It is called "drink on the blood". Usually used moose or deer liver which is still steaming and of cause 100ml of vodka or other traditional drink (like Jagermeister). Tried it several times myself (being from Ukraine) and should tell it is not bad at all. Never had any problems as vodka makes it pretty safe to eat. Just a small peice of raw liver and shot of vodka at the downed and hard earned animal adds a nice hint to my hunt.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/Ohotnik/IMG_4549.jpg

308BAR
05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The Inuite (sp?) do it and some natives has this tradition as well. I haven't seen it first hand but my cousine who's a geologist works up north has eaten and shared in a few of their experience. Everything from whale to polarbear. I personally couldn't stomach it.

308Lover
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Once you see liver flukes (a white parasite somewhat like a tapeworm) squirming around in your moose/deer liver, it takes a lot of the fun out of eating it raw.

Jonny outdoors
05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Two years ago my brother in law ,my uncle were moose hunting and my brother in law shot his first moose so we were all joking around and bugging him saying that he would have to eat the heart so anyways the bull went down close to the road so I went back to camp an the atv to get the pickup. The plan was that they would get the bull gutted and we would take it back to camp and quarter there .About 20minutes goes by and as I pull up to the moose it is now getting dark so put my head lights on and when the meat heads turned around they had these red mustaches ,my stomack turned when i stoped laughing I said what the hell are you guys doing? my brother in law told me that after they gutted the animal my uncle turned to my brother inlaw and asked him if he had ever seen the movie dances with wolfs,my brother inlaw repiled "I think so" and then my uncle held up a piece of the liver and said ugg .So the two sick buggers each took a small bite. Now thats sick!

huntcoop
05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
That tradition can be kept in ol' Russia and for the Indians, well, I'd be banned if I went any further.

rishu_pepper
05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, but dude, we already know you eat just about anything ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

I like it like that :biggrin:

I hate celery though, damn does that stink.

horsethief
05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
dont eat cooked liver, no way in hell would i eat it raw

srupp
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
as for POLAR BEAR..the liver is SO high in levels of vitamin A..that it makes it lethal toxic...not recommended..even the Eskimos(spelling oops) wont eat it

Steven

Islandeer
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I hear it's good with catfish.

silvicon
05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
eastkoot:
get real, no indian has eaten raw liver in 100 years.

bigbore:
heart, liver cooked,
touge boiled,
stomache boiled (gives the dogs stinky farts),
penis boone from bear boild and bleached ( cocktail stir)
brain saved for my girls who tain the hide the old way.
any other Q's?

boyd050
05-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Love liver....cooked!!!! mmmm!!:mrgreen: but my favourite..... turkey livers, heart and of course the best... the gizard, I'm getting hungry just writing it!!!!
Nothing wrong with any of it anytime! i don't do the kidneys... yechhhh but check with hotload he might!!! yuk yuk!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

makara9
05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I was suckered, by my uncle into taking a bite of raw liver (still hot from the gut pile) out of my first moose a couple years back. tasted great! never gotsick.

hunter1947
05-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Never have and never will. I love eating liver cooked but when it comes to the raw thing I will leave that up to the Eskimos :roll:.