PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Falconry?

BiG Boar
05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey guys, I know this isn't normal hunting, but is anyone here into falconry? There is a place out in Maple Ridge that you can do it for a day. I was thinking of checking it out. Anyone been to one of these things? There is also one out on the island. What is the biggest prey you could go for with a falcon anyways? It would definitley save a lot of time scouting, they have eyes like a frikin......hawk! raptors ridge is the place http://www.raptorsridge.com/
Anyone up for checking it out for a day?

LOC
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm hoping to head out there to do the day course they have this summer.

bighornbob
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Get a big enough bird and you could hunt deer with it, well island blacktails. Check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsXtDKdU0Q

BHB

rishu_pepper
05-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow that's pretty crazy!

Yeah I'd be interested to check it out in the summer, I have nothing to do for 2 months anyway.

Steeleco
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
We have a guy that comes to the hanger to rid the rafters of Pigeons. They are wicked to watch, deadly accurate and FAST. I just wish they would take the bell off their feet so the shite hawks don't hear them coming!!

morris
05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I used to have a Red Tailed Hawk that I used for hunting when I lived on the Island! Captured young (proper authorizations and permits etc through the Gov't) and imprinted on me that I was "Mom" or Dad as the case was. It was an absolute blast! I raised her from about 3 weeks old and had her for about 8 years until I moved to the LML and did not have the proper Mews for her to live in. I gave her to a fellow falconer (ostringer for Hawks) in Victoria and last I heard she was still doing great. Training is intense and all based on weight. When hungry (correct weight) she would hunt and return to the glove. Well I had her at my work and one day someone must have screwed with the scale as when I flew her she just sat in a tree and didn't respond. Weight was way off. I lost her for a year. Then one day some one told me that he saw a bird like I used to have in YellowPoint just outa Nanaimo. I went by and found her in a tree. I put my glove on and whistled and she came right down to the glove. A quick check of the band proved it was in fact Rusti and I had her back.

I used to hunt rabbits with her and she was damn good at it. Took a ton of work though, feeding and caring for her. Ensuring the Mews is up to snuff and reporting to the MOE. Great bird though. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the time and the space. I should check this place out and see if they need any volunteers. Thanks for posting the link!

Rich

rishu_pepper
05-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Rich, that sounds like some kind of experience! I have read some literature regarding falconry and I have serious interest in it. I definitely have the time to do it (I'm a 9 to 3 kind of guy, and no summer, being a teacher and all), and might be able to fork up the cash. Can you give me some details on what is needed to get in this majestic sport? PM me if you wish. Thank you so much.