PDA

View Full Version : what makes the best blanket?

Mr. Friendly
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
if I were to hunt bear, I'd not want to waste it's fur, but at the same time, am not interested in a rug, so I'd want it to become something to throw on top of my bed (I like a heavy bed cover). would bear be the best bet for that, or is there something better, aside from small game pelts? :?:

srupp
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
a bunch of prime coyotes tanned and made into a quilt would be warm and cozy...:biggrin:

Steven

Blainer
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Buffalo!!!

Flinch
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Beaver:wink:

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Beaver:wink:

You been dating those razorless chicks from Nelson again Flinch?

Wolfman
05-07-2008, 03:19 PM
I agree with Blainer: Buffalo is AWESOME. Very warm and comfy. Camped out more than a few times under a buffalo hide.

Wolfman

Sideofabarn
05-07-2008, 03:20 PM
You been dating those razorless chicks from Nelson again Flinch?

LMAO

That was awesome!

I wonder, does anyone make bear leather? Sounds like it would make a good jacket due to its thickness. Hmm, might look into that...

Jelvis
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Silver fox pelts taken after the winter is extremely cold so the fur is thick and full of luster brah, then trimmed and lined with ermine it's white pelt with a black tipped tail to tickle your fur lined fantasy of warmth and soft smooth comfort but wait, make sure it's big enough to cover your king size bed. jel-silverfox+ermine

Mr. Friendly
05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
considering how many animals you'd need to get to make a blanket out of everything mentioned but for the buffalo (does that include bison, being BC doesn't have buffalo?), I think the costs would become extremely prohibitive for me.

considering nobody supported bear, I take it it's not that good? :confused:

Mr. Dean
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't think a Bear hide would make for a great blanket, the hide isn't soft and sumptuous. But it would look NICE just draped over a bed.

OR, maybe there's a process that makes the hide baby soft??? I dunno. Try PMing Mainlandhunter, he'd know.

hunter1947
05-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Muskox I would think would be the best hide to keep the cold out .

boxhitch
05-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Muskox isn't really a luxurious type hide
Many a bed in the north are covered with Polar Bear or Caribou
Bear hide can be thinned so it is more supple, think of womens coats of old.
Lots were made from shaved beaver too.

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Lots were made from shaved beaver too.

Now Flinch is going to California to find dates! :lol:

rishu_pepper
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
On a similar note, can one get a bear hide and turn it into some sort of clothing item, i.e. vest, jacket, cap, etc.? How much would that approximately cost? I'm just wondering, not like I'm using it for warmth, but it could make a nice keepsake.

Steeleco
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM

LMAO, from a Blanket topic I now know where to get good and bad girls!!!

I have a throw rug done by Mainlandhunter. It's very soft but not so supple. I have a co-worker friend who's EX makes jacket for all purposes from deer hide. Apparently in my 2 wheeled days they were the best to have if you came off.

vortex
05-08-2008, 01:17 PM
bison gets my vote for sure. I caped my bull out and still have a pretty big rug for the bed with whats remaining. Too hot for a bed in the summer but very nice on cold winter nights.

Gateholio
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I've slept under tanned bear hides. Satisfyingly heavy, pretty warm, but smells a bit liek a bear;)

Flinch
05-08-2008, 08:46 PM

It has been a while since I was on the prowl for beaver, but you Dude, you know all the hostspots now don't ya! I heard they are nearly extinct in your part of Rutland.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-08-2008, 09:11 PM
It has been a while since I was on the prowl for beaver, but you Dude, you know all the hostspots now don't ya! I heard they are nearly extinct in your part of Rutland.

F/D found one of these on his toilet seat the morning after he entertained the last date from Rutland.

Don't think this guy would make a good blanky:shock:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/pubichare.jpg

SSS

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2008, 11:06 PM
The last date I had from Rutland asked me if I want to go back to her place and do "a few rails". After I came home I Googled "rails" (I'm naive about the modern drug culture) and understood why she was such a nut case! :?

I'll leave the Rutland chicks for One $hit and Beeker! SSS, is that one of the "hares" you bagged last summer? Send the hide over to Flinch - it looks like one of the "Nelson" strain!

Wolfman
05-08-2008, 11:43 PM
On a similar note, can one get a bear hide and turn it into some sort of clothing item, i.e. vest, jacket, cap, etc.? How much would that approximately cost? I'm just wondering, not like I'm using it for warmth, but it could make a nice keepsake.

That got me thinking of those long bearskin coats the sports fans used to wear to football games in the twenties ;-)

Probably be pretty cool - heavy though...

Wolfman