PDA

View Full Version : Black VS Grizz meat

Beardy
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey all!

Someone asked the question before in another thread and I was really interested but no one ever answered! Do any of you find a difference between black and grizz meat? Is the grizz meat worth packing out? I was hoping to pack mine out (if I'm successful of course) but if it's no good, I won't break my back over it! Thanks for the input!

wolverine
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd sure pack it out. Nothing wrong with it at all. Some don't like it but it's like a black bear, it depends what it's been feeding on. Fish? It's going to be hard enough to skin out let alone eat. Garbage? Same thing. Steady diet of carion? Have fun getting close to it. The Griz that I ate was from the Kootenays and was taken in the spring of the year after den out. After about a month of feeding on grasses and getting a good clean out after the hibernation it neither stunk at the kill site and the meat was great. I don't know about a coastal griz that had been feeding almost exclusively on fish in the fall. Pack it out and give it a go.

Cheers.

BiG Boar
05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
you will know when you smell it. I would avoid gutting it. I would just skin and debone the meat.

Beardy
05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Why do people avoid gutting a bear?