PDA

View Full Version : First Bear Attack this year (as per Edm. Sun)

whitetailsheds
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
VANCOUVER — Bears across B.C. are just coming out of hibernation but already a Central Coast man has been injured in a grizzly attack.
The man, who does not want to be identified, was taking pictures along the Noosgulch River about 30 kilometres east of Bella Coola on the B.C. coast when he was attacked.
According to locals, he suffered gashes to his head and bite wounds to his left elbow and right knee. The incident happened Saturday and the man was airlifted to a Vancouver hospital the next day.
It’s the first bear attack in B.C. this season and came just days before the province announced $450,000 dollars for bear awareness programs aimed at reducing the number of human-bear conflicts.
Conservation officers are now setting traps and searching for the grizzly.

Phreddy
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Grizzley Bear....."Shoot, shovel, & shut up." (Ralph Klein)
Re-stocking them in hi-use recreation areas like Manning Park, etc., is a recipe for disaster. There's a reason they have been decimated over the centuries.

bigwhiteys
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I have seen the pictures... It got him pretty good.

Carl

Wolfman
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Grizzley Bear....."Shoot, shovel, & shut up." (Ralph Klein)
Re-stocking them in hi-use recreation areas like Manning Park, etc., is a recipe for disaster. There's a reason they have been decimated over the centuries.

Hey Fred and all.

Isn't that INSANE? Restocking them in high use areas!!!?
Give me a blackie any day over a griz. My experience with them is that most of 'em are just plain mean.

Wolfman

Laurence_Erickson
05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
well if he'd been taking visual images through the scope ,he probably would have come out on top . The pictures are supposed to come after the big bang. Just my opinion.

silvicon
05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
all nice and good.
however: the bears have been here long before humans.
if people are stupid enough to go looking for trouble the they deserve them.

elkdom
05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
all nice and good.

STUPID includes anyone who ventures outdoors, be it with a camera, their camping gear, their hiking gear, their work gear, or their hunting gear! every year countless numbers of persons are mauled or killed by bears, many persons working in resource based jobs are most at risk!, especially tree planters! mostly staffed by out of province students looking to earn some wages and enjoy the outdoors , while earning a living. Sadly employers tend to ignore or at most pay lip service to safety issues surrounding bear/ predator encounters, even sadder is the MOE policies of relocating problem bears, year after year and attack after attack, PARKS and MOE Management officials insist on relocating problem bears, and all the stats prove it ends in tragedy so often! And in closing, anyone that responds to the fact a human being was mauled by a bear as being an act of stupidity, then that person has never been present or attended a scene where someone was mauled, not only do the scars requiring stitches last a life time, the trauma and emotional scars can last a life time and destroy life! many years after for the unfortunate person mauled ! and lastly "silvicon" your insensitive and ignorant comment leaves me no doubt, that YOU! are the kind of person most at risk from being mauled by a bear!

ElectricDyck
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Is there anymore details to the story? Did someone find him or did he walk out?

Squirrelnuts
05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
all nice and good.

Wow. I work in the bush every day, and now I guess if I get mauled I'm "stupid". I could live with "unlucky", (or even slow to the trigger) but to label me "stupid" and deserving of an attack is a bit much, no?

mark
05-06-2008, 06:21 PM

There was just a long story on the news a few minutes ago. The guy has 30 exp. working in the bush, he played dead, the bear left, he hiked to his truck and drove 25 kms to Hagonsberg. He was airlifted to williams lake (maybe in srupps care???) supposed to be alright! They reported that bear numbers are way up in BC and also reported stats about bear attacks and fatalities over the years. Maybe a few less bear huggers after that news story!

Fisher-Dude
05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
all nice and good.

Nice remark. The guy is working and gets attacked by a bear. That makes him stupid and "looking for trouble"? Good grief. :frown:

ElectricDyck
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Just watched it on the news, sounds like he kept his head during the whole attack. They say he'll walk out of hospital in a couple days.

He said before the attack he had the feeling something was watching him.

05-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Thinking Back To Some Of Silvicons Other Comments On Other Threads.....
He Must Be A Real Smart Guy....not Stupid !
I Guess He's Not Really A Hunter Either.....for If He Was To Go Into The Forest......that Would Make Him Stupid Too....
Sounds Like Silvicon Might Be One Of Those Guys Who Wishes He Could Hunt Or Be A Hunter.....but Then Again...hunting Usually Requires One To Go Into The Forest......according To Silvicon...
We Must All Be Real Stupid....

Nice Comment Silvicon.....give Your Head A Shake. !!

BiG Boar
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
:| ya silvicon I am jumping on the bandwagon! You are a terrible person....

05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We just finished watching the news on the Bear Attack.....

Wow, I guess the guy really deserved it as SILVICON said.....
Sounded like the guys bush knowledge on Grizzly Bear and the bush saved his life.....hardly his Stupidity that the guy displayed by being attacked in the first place. Cool survival story, watch the news.

To the guy attacked, I wish you a speedy recovery and hats off to you!
Your a brave soul!

I hope I never have such an incident.....3 times uncomfortable encounters but no attacks....sheeeiiisshhh!

elkdom
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Bear attacks are tragedies no matter what the circumstances leading up to a mauling of a human being! sometimes persons say something and then moments later we realize we have just opened our mouth and put our foot in it! Silvicon said something I didn't think was appropriate and I told him so! any of his future posts will be read by me and given all the respect I would for anyone else! as far as I am concerned, the post has gotten off track and I do not wish to flog anyone, good luck Silvicon,we all learn from one another!

hunter1947
05-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Another reason a person should have some kind of back up fire power when in the bush. This person sounds like he is an experienced outdoors person having 30 years spent in the bush ,but it only takes one time for something like this to happen. To bad for this person ,I feel sorry for him and his family ,hope everything is going to come out ok for him. Changing the subject I have seen the way people get out of there vehicles and run off to film wildlife they see along the hiway. They don't think what could happen to them when they do this. I'm just surprised that there aren't more bear attacks on people that do this kind of thing.

Wolfman
05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
all nice and good.

Yo, Silvicon;

As an Aboriginal person myself I have long since been taught about the sacredness and importance of bears - and indeed, that they were here before humans.
But what I think you miss is that both humans and the bears are supposed to live in balance. Sadly that balance is off kilter - admittedly because of human development etc., so humans - more than ever - have to play a role in conservation management. When we mis-manage our stewardship - like we often do with regard to bear relocation - we make the problem worse.

If you've ever been chased by a grizzly or treed by a bear - or seen one of them trying to get at your horses, or had one of 'em try to kill and eat your dog - like I have - then you might come to the understanding that bears can be very dangerous - and need to be controlled; especially in human inhabited areas. I don't think a person is stupid for venturing out in the woods. As far as I'm concerned, Creator gave us as much 'right' to be out there as the bears.

But if you work in the bush you would know all this...

Just my two or three shekels on the subject.

Wolfman

brian
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
The guy has 30 exp. working in the bush, he played dead, the bear left, he hiked to his truck and drove 25 kms to Hagonsberg.

IT would have worked better if the bear played dead and he had to hike to his truck to get the shovel.

srupp
05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
hmmmm MEDIVAC...we simply can NOT comment on our CLIENTS..:biggrin:....
he did EVERYTNING right well done..

a LOT of the problem grizzlies are tranqued and sent6 to a remote valley south of Bella Coola..it is called KWATNA BAY...some miserable very dangerous bears there with a history of very agressive behavior towards stupid humans...:eek:..

Anyone working in these areas NEEDS defense weapons AND TRAINING...IMHO..

Steven

Wolfman
05-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Another reason a person should have some kind of back up fire power when in the bush.

Hunter 1947;
Words of wisdom, man.

Your statement said it all I think. A .44 mag, Desert Eagle or a Widley might make a good bear-discourager.

Wolfman

msawyer
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I've been on the Noosgulch River and I can tell you all there are a lot of bears in that valley, particularly in the lower valley during a time when there are salmon in the Bella Coola river... Bear sign is everywhere and if anyone out there is paying attention, it ought to be obvious that you are sharing the woods with theses beasts... Assuming the gent was aware and taking all the standard precautions, then bad luck come to mind. If he wasn't taking any precautions, then stupid may be more appropriate. Regardless, it's still a drag, particularly for the bear that was just doing what bears do... Having said that, the devil is in the details and at this moment we know very little... I'm curious though if the bear was a female protecting its cubs... the fact that it broke of the attack when the victim played dead indicates that it was most likely a defensive attack... Anyway, I for one do not blame the bear and I hope the victin is of similar views... Now if only the Governmewnt would let it be...

Mike
________
Toyota Comfort (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Comfort)

Inlet Hunter
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
This fellow in question is a good friend of mine. As far as I'm concerned,
the only STUPID person is the person who wrote that previous post, who would probably be dead by now. This gentleman has had plenty of outdoor experience along with the knowlege and savvy to act in the smartest fashion. He walked to his truck after the attack to get help and subsequently was treated in the local hospital, then flown to Vancouver.
This man is lucky to be alive and I applaud this bravery.

msawyer
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey Inlet Hunter...

Ok, so the guy is your friend and you are justifiably upset. And I have broad shoulders and can handle being called stupid - hell, I call myself that all the time. But what exactly was out of line, as far as you are concerned about my post?

As for me being dead already (if it had been me that was mauled), that seems a little harsh to write being that you don't even know me... But I understand that you are upset right now, so I'm OK with that to!

I hope your friend fully recovers from his adventure...

Take care

Mike
________
home made vaporizer (http://homemadevaporizers.info/)

358win
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
What if the BIG forest companies who have pull cared enough to fight for the right to have employees (tree planters and the like) to Carry back up?

*hic*

sorry dreamin out loud....

willy442
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM

The investigating officer is a very good friend of mine and the story as I got it is.

The fellow is a surveyor and very experianced and bush wise. He was working at the time of the attack and if any of you have ever been in the area of the attack you would know how dense the cover is. Apparently the bear actually stalked the fellow for a considerable distance before charging from close proximity. The bear bit him first in the head and then carrying his head in his teeth drug him with his legs dangling between his front feet. The bear let him down near a big dead fall and after lying there briefly the fellow rolled under the log for protection and the bear again attacked grabbing him by the arm and pulling him out from under the log. The guy played dead again and the bear backed off allowing the guy to get farther under the log and out of the bears reach. After a short time of the bear trying to again get him out, the bear gave up and left. Some time later the fellow made it to his truck and then to help.

This just goes to show how fast something like this can happen no matter how much experiance or bush wisdom you have. In most cases like this if the fellow had been making noise the attack may not of happened but we can't say that for sure. I give the guy full credit for engaging his survival instincts and getting to safety under excruciating pain and truama.

I hope he may have a speedy recovery.

ElectricDyck
05-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Yesterday's province said he's out of hospital. Very lucky.

kenkell1
05-10-2008, 07:54 AM
all nice and good.
HOLY CRAP....a tree hugger on this site!!
Some things are better off unsaid!!
Way to make friends dude.

scorpio_21
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/bearsmart/bearsmintro.html

I am relatively new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from it over the past few months. Hope the gentleman who was injured recovers quickly.

My girlfriend and I will actually be visiting Bella Coola and camping at Itcha Ilgachuz park in two weeks. After reading this post I went to review what to do in a bear situation. Followed by checking my bear spray expiry date. Tomorrow I will be heading to the range to make sure we both are comfortable with 00 in the 12 gauge... sounds like the best defence is staying smart with the rest being lucky.

Arsie
05-11-2008, 07:54 AM
So..the lesson to all here is that when you go in the bush hunting be sure to strap many pots and pans on to yourself so you will be heard well in advance and the bears know you are coming..if you dont do this then you may run the risk of being called stupid,,,best of luck on all your next hunts and see you in the meat store buying beef

ElectricDyck
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
My girlfriend and I will actually be visiting Bella Coola and camping at Itcha Ilgachuz park in two weeks. After reading this post I went to review what to do in a bear situation. Followed by checking my bear spray expiry date. Tomorrow I will be heading to the range to make sure we both are comfortable with 00 in the 12 gauge... sounds like the best defence is staying smart with the rest being lucky. Yesterday 07:54 AM

I think I am a bit paranoid, but whatever gives me peace of mind. I carry my rifle and follow Gary Shelton's advice and carry a can of bear spray on each hip and a knife with a 6" blade. I've never been close to being in a bad situation, but I'd rather carry them my whole life and never need them then not have them when I do.

bigwhiteys
05-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I carry my rifle and follow Gary Shelton's advice and carry a can of bear spray on each hip and a knife with a 6" blade.

A Grizzly bear is about the last creature on earth that I would personally want to spray with bear spray (within it's effective range). The words "more pissed off" come to mind.

Carl

ElectricDyck
05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
A Grizzly bear is about the last creature on earth that I would personally want to spray with bear spray (within it's effective range). The words "more pissed off" come to mind.

Yeah 12 feet is close, but if it's that close and for reasons left to be discovered bullets haven't deterred it, I'd sooner spray then do nothing. It has worked in the past.

willy442
05-11-2008, 11:27 AM
So..the lesson to all here is that when you go in the bush hunting be sure to strap many pots and pans on to yourself so you will be heard well in advance and the bears know you are coming..if you dont do this then you may run the risk of being called stupid,,,best of luck on all your next hunts and see you in the meat store buying beef

Hey Smart ARSIE:

You wear what ever you want. My point was that between Surveyors, Tree Planters and those that usally work in the bush with out the benifit of a hunting licence and rifle, can usually some what prevent a suprise attack by making some noise as they go about thier business. This is a proven fact amongst those that survey and hand cut oil exploration lines in Bear Country every summer.

You have gone way out side the realm of stupid with your post by the way.:)

308Lover
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Jasper Park Alta has been "exporting" problem bears over the mtns. to an area close to Cadomin. We have seen Griz right in town. It's very dangerous, but everyone owns dogs and they sure warn us at night. Every person --armed--unarmed--experienced or not can be mauled in a flash. It's NEVER appropriate to second guess these poor guys who get into trouble. Doesn't matter what caused the attack. YOU could be next, and you wouldn't be thought of as STUPID by anyone who knows the outdoors.

Comshel
05-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Jasper Park Alta has been "exporting" problem bears over the mtns. to an area close to Cadomin. We have seen Griz right in town. It's very dangerous, but everyone owns dogs and they sure warn us at night. Every person --armed--unarmed--experienced or not can be mauled in a flash. It's NEVER appropriate to second guess these poor guys who get into trouble. Doesn't matter what caused the attack. YOU could be next, and you wouldn't be thought of as STUPID by anyone who knows the outdoors.
Well said 308Lover, I know Brent also and he's as bush/bear savvy as they come. The bear was predatory it stalked and attacked, if he was armed it probably would have been on him before he'd gotten a shot off. Remember he was working not steathly hunting with gun at ready. It can happen to any of us, believe it.

Twobucks
05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Spending time in grizz country is like driving -- you do it for long enough and you're going to have an incident.

Bear spray has stopped charging grizz in the past (I knew a national park warden in Jasper that stopped one) and a gun is a long way from perfect protection.

The way I see it, bears have a right to exist in their natural ranges. Humans have beaten them back from the prairies and reduced their numbers in the rockies. The coast is one of only a few places where the species numbers are secure.

I've run into grizz three times on the trail -- and each time everything ended just fine. I wasn't armed any one of those times. I was a little bit lucky and a little bit smart and two out of the three I nearly crapped myself.

The guy who got mauled had a tough go and I wish him the best in recovering -- but homestly, your chances of rolling your truck on a logging road and getting killed are a lot higher than getting killed by a bear.

When you step into the forest you accept certain risks - if you can't deal with that, stay out of the woods and take up lawn bowling.

But in the long run, your brain is more effective at keeping a guy safe than any gun.

Nailgunslinger
05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Um, some of you are super harsh in relation to this guy, who in my opinion is tough as fricken nails. Bears are fast, much faster than you or me and even of he had a gun it doesn't mean he would be safe. Most of you would be food in the woods if a bear stalked you to kill, even if you had a gun and knew how to use it. It reminds me of a guy who was a blackbelt in Karate, who thought he was tough, then got into a fight with a regular ol streetfighter, seemed to forget all he knew and started throwing haymakers and poorly placed shots, then got his ass handed to him on a cement platter.:cool:
The guy got bit in the head, then walked to his truck hes an f'n champ.

srupp
05-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Some pretty smart ass coments coming from individuals who apparantly know nothing about this gentleman.Nor NOTHING about the BElla Coola valley..
After 30 odd (and some wierd) years down in the valley...and having literally..over 100 encounters of one sort or another and spending weeks on end down there I feel I can comment...

This is NOT a remote area along the coast, these bears have had a long association with man in this valley, and most of the bears that inhabit the valley do so year after year at certain times..other times they range out of the valley and up and over the mountains into other valleys and locations.These BEARS HAVE HAD A hard WINTER..and the green up is really really late, some of these bears are skulking around farms and the edge of town etc looking for anything to eat. They have had many many many run ins with "man" some have learned to bluff charge and see what we drop..lunches packs and fish...they are NOT the typical see a man smell a man ..they run like hell..some hardly stray off the trails when they encounter fishermen hikers or whoever...

The nastiest bears are relocated to a beautiful valley south of Bella Coola..and there are some NASTY ones...this is NOT the first attack in this area..

Some of these bears seek easy food from back yards, and whatever they can scavange..they are literally starving when coming out from the den..and this year is especially long and difficult..

As for bells and whistles...yes for almost every bear they alert it so there isnt an encounter of a furry kind..I SAID MOST...some have bad days or just bad attitudes..some are teenage thugs of the animal world.. some apparantly never read just what a bear is "supposed to do" they are like people each and every one is different.
I do believe in bells and talking out loud""hey bear hey bear.....etc etc.. I do believe in watching around and being especially vigilent around the noisy bella Coola River and Atnarko rivers....when fishing down there I believe in cleaning fish and throwing guts in the water...when camping I DO carry a shotgun..no sling..and no pellets..slugs all the way..I believe it was Garry Sheldon who changed my mind on that one...I dont believe in warning shots...shoot to kill in defense of life...

Steven

kgriz
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Well said SRUPP, My partners and I have had at least 5 nearly lethal encounters with bears while working and this is while CONTINUALLY yelling back and forth while cruising and/or surveying. Each time a very quick and available hand-gun was used, once on a griz at full speed charge at about 10m. We're still working, knock on wood, unscathed. I previously offered to give anybody info on obtaining a carry permit for a side-arm and surprisingly got a bunch of BS comments on how hand-guns aren't necessary etc. instead of " gee that might be a good idea, how do I obtain one?" Well I'd like to say these attacks and their devastating results are surprising, but....... not so much. I do have sympathy for the workers who "aren't allowed" to carry a firearm by their employer but unless my family was truly starving, I wouldn't work there under those circumstances....If I had in the past myself or once of my partners would surely be dead by now.

Mr. Dean
05-13-2008, 11:40 PM
... Gee, I thinks its a good idea.

hunter1947
05-14-2008, 02:55 AM
I think that anyone that has a clean record from the past should be able to carry a hand gun while working in the bush to defend themselves from bears if they want to.

Mr. Dean
05-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Well said SRUPP, My partners and I have had at least 5 nearly lethal encounters with bears while working and this is while CONTINUALLY yelling back and forth while cruising and/or surveying. Each time a very quick and available hand-gun was used, once on a griz at full speed charge at about 10m. We're still working, knock on wood, unscathed. I previously offered to give anybody info on obtaining a carry permit for a side-arm and surprisingly got a bunch of BS comments on how hand-guns aren't necessary etc. instead of " gee that might be a good idea, how do I obtain one?" Well I'd like to say these attacks and their devastating results are surprising, but....... not so much. I do have sympathy for the workers who "aren't allowed" to carry a firearm by their employer but unless my family was truly starving, I wouldn't work there under those circumstances....If I had in the past myself or once of my partners would surely be dead by now.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18597

Post 35,,, 38,,,, and 57. :redface:

rgv
05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I think that anyone that has a clean record from the past should be able to carry a hand gun while working in the bush to defend themselves from bears if they want to.

they can.

unfortunately for law-abiding people in this country, the key word is 'working'

kgriz
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
My bad, I didn't follow the thread in its entirety............I was quickly lost on all the chatter about which load to use in a shotgun that always seems to be a favorite topic. People seem to think that a shotgun is the best protection from bears and my point is and always is that if you can get a handgun permit, please do so. They are WAY FASTER and I feel that in one instance it made the difference between living and dying. Obviously not many people can obtain a permit but those who can should. Thats it.