PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Bear??

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Made it out last night and managed to see 8 bears(including a sow and 2 cubs) in two different locations.
Managed to get a few pics and video clips (with the video mode on my still camera) through the spotter of this "milk chocolate".
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CIMG0379.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9151&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CIMG0380.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9152&ppuser=1509)

Video clips

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=May520082.flv

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=May520081.flv

He's in a nasty spot(same place as Beer Belly was last year) and with this late melt it would even be more nasty as snowshoes would be required(yuck).

While he's not quite the same caliber of bear that BB was, I have not yet taken an animal with my bow. Plus, I have not taken a bear of this "flavour".
He's a "portly" fella and I could see a nice groove down the middle of his forehead but I don't he's got a very long frame.

Soooo......should I make a play on him???

SSS

kenkell1
05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Nice bear and nice color. Do it...make that play.

one-shot-wonder
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
For sure! Go get him..... looks like a decent bear. Love the colour too!

Sure wish I had as much time as you to chase bears in the spring.:frown:

I guess there are some perks to being a wineo.

srupp
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
sss..absolutley !! He has the midline crease indicating some decent age and muscle to his face..so not a imature bear.The coat looks primo..and the angle of the front leg where it meets the chest is straight accros or even down so some tremendous weight there... RUPPINSKI disease..

he's a good rich color so sling some slivers..

Steven

BCrams
05-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Go get him. You need the excersise going into that hell hole :biggrin:

Blainer
05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Harvest that fine bruin.
Good looking bear.
Hope to see a hero shot soon.
Good luck.

whitetailsheds
05-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Looks like a gooder.......and a chocolate too! Let's see field photos next.

Fisher-Dude
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Go get him! You've got to break in that new pack anyways, right? If you think an old cartilage-challenged fatso like me can help, give me a call, 'cause I owe ya a pack out for the Ravine Buck!

browningboy
05-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Not too bad of a bear, not a 3 year old but respectable, legs don't seem too long, nice gut ahh go for it, your allowed 2!

mcrae
05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
For sure its a good bear. I made a stalk on one last year same kind of color phase and situation. Mine was hanging out on the very top of an avalanche chute we got close but no good shot... I am going back this year to the same spot hopefully I will get to use my new pack to haul him out LOL.

Flinch
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Go get him steve. Like FD said, if you need fat slow people helping, you can add me to the list. I would be happy to shoot it in the skull for you after you put an arrow into it!:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Go get him steve. Like FD said, if you need fat slow people helping, you can add me to the list. I would be happy to shoot it in the skull for you after you put an arrow into it!:lol:

Flinch-I think Calvin has reserved that job:roll:.

I can always use extra sets of eyes and someone to call for Search & Rescue:roll:. The more the merrier!8)

OSW-I'll trade you some spring hunting time for some fall hunting time any day.
I only take a couple of hours here and there. Gotta love these long spring days.

Wife just told me her ball game tonight is cancelled. I may head back up this evening. I haven't even packed a weapon so far this year. Just been window shopping.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I took this video clip on Sat.
I had two billies and two bears in the spotter at once. One bear just walked out of the field of view just before I got the camera on them.
I need to edit this clip but haven't figured out how to do it yet as i don't have a program on my computer since this was taken with my still camera.

Soooooo.. it's a little shakey. My apologies.
I saw the same two bears hanging together last year and think they must be siblings.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=May302008billiesandbear.flv

SSS

srupp
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
go get em SSS..looking forward to another exciting read..and oh ya pictures...:lol:..

Steven

jrjonesy
05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Have at him! Break that bow in!

Kitimat Killer
05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
go get him he's a nice looking bear plus with a bow that would be awesome i totally would do it

tomahawk
05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
That's a nice bear, big muscular legs, looks mature and nice colour and coat. Show us the close up when he's on the ground.

daycort
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
SSS,

Yes sir that there is a nice bear. I would most definetly go after him. Sounds like ya got lots of offers for help. If there is enough of ya one of them might even pack your bow over there for ya:-D.

daycort

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
SSS,

Yes sir that there is a nice bear. I would most definetly go after him. Sounds like ya got lots of offers for help. If there is enough of ya one of them might even pack your bow over there for ya.

daycort

The more the meerier!8) That way everyone can pack out one roast each:-D. Who needs a quad or horses when you've got sherpas??!!:mrgreen:

I went up solo tonight prepared to head over if I could find the bear in a favorable location. Found him within minutes but he was in a nasty little spot where if he died he would head down, down, down...into the abyss:roll:. He stayed put for over two staight hours so I could have easily got onto him. Looks like he may have got himself a rub on one side.

How does Sat late afternoon work for you volunteers?? Back up shooter gets a crack at him if I blow the stalk. Sound okay??

SSS

bearheart
05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Could someone elaborate on the furrow in the brow as indicator of bear's age or size. Thanks alot.

BCBairdo
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Brent,

Seems like a decent bear to start off your archery career...nice colour too. Cool video footage too.....maybe a little too much coffee for the cameraman? I gave one a shave on Sunday night and saw another cranker so will be heading up on Sat for another poke around to see if I can find either one of them. Good luck. Hope we have pics to share with each other come Sunday.

Ian

boxhitch
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Somebodies got to say it.........
No, leave him alone.
Pack a headlamp, it could get late.

GrouseRiver
05-06-2008, 11:21 PM
There's something else that somebody has to say...any animal with a bow is an accomplishment. Most people would kill for a bow bear like this and if you'll pardon the pun I think you should too.

Strap those 'shoes on and start walking.

hunter1947
05-07-2008, 03:15 AM
SSS ,that is one hell of a bear ,I wouldn't think twice on hammering him. I would say that he would be around a 7 foot bear ,good luck on pursuing him.

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2008, 05:48 AM
The more the meerier!8) That way everyone can pack out one roast each:-D. Who needs a quad or horses when you've got sherpas??!!:mrgreen:

How does Sat late afternoon work for you volunteers?? Back up shooter gets a crack at him if I blow the stalk. Sound okay??

SSS

It could happen. I can pack a roast and two steaks. Should I dust off the 250 Savage?

Steve, who's this "Brent" guy? :roll:

calvin L
05-07-2008, 06:26 AM
It sounds like I should be feel poorly on sat. The freash air may help out my problem . Again SSS you find a bear in a hell hole . Waht ever happened to looking for them on the road . After this amount of time hunting that spot I thought you would have a zip line installed .;)

calvin L

Stone Sheep Steve
05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Both of you need some fresh air.

F/D-You got that "sighthound" using the Leicas yet??:razz:

Can always use gome good glassers with good "glass".

I stacked some firewood last night and will bring some smokies and buns.

Zip line, eh?? My Dad still has an old "high-lead" unit kicking around. Now you've got me thinking:smile:.

SSS

Flinch
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Good chance I'm in for a little adventure. I can just see 6 or 7 guys all getting shushh'd by SSS as he is trying to get an arrow off and FD trying to get there with his quad! I better bring the video camera.

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Good chance I'm in for a little adventure. I can just see 6 or 7 guys all getting shushh'd by SSS as he is trying to get an arrow off and FD trying to get there with his quad! I better bring the video camera.

You mean we can't ride right up to the bear and kill it on the side of the road? :eek:

Flinch
05-07-2008, 09:46 AM
You mean we can't ride right up to the bear and kill it on the side of the road? :eek:

I know....it all sounds a bit concerning to me! If this is going to involve packboards and hard work then I dunno:wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I know....it all sounds a bit concerning to me! If this is going to involve packboards and hard work then I dunno:wink:

The only way to think of it is training for sheep season.

I know I'm getting a late start on my training this year....just like the spring:roll:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
The only way to think of it is training for sheep season.

I know I'm getting a late start on my training this year....just like the spring:roll:.

SSS

For supper last night I ate a bag of Doritos, salsa/sour cream dip, and some Breyers ice cream. I'm ready.

Flinch
05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
For supper last night I ate a bag of Doritos, salsa/sour cream dip, and some Breyers ice cream. I'm ready.

Are you a vegetarian???:eek: Where is the meat?

Freak

:biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Are you a vegetarian???:eek: Where is the meat?

Freak

:biggrin:

I think there was a dead fly in the salsa.

Mr. Dean
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
If you know how to reload, a small rocket booster shouldn't be too difficult... 8-)

The bear would make for a soft landing, being all fluffy and all. :lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
If you know how to reload, a small rocket booster shouldn't be too difficult... 8-)

The bear would make for a soft landing, being all fluffy and all. :lol:

That would certainly reduce the "edible portions"....:?.....or was the rocket launcher for the skull???:wink:

SSS

Mr. Dean
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
That would certainly reduce the "edible portions"....:?.....or was the rocket launcher for the skull???:wink:

SSS

For YOU... Improvised jet-pack. :tongue:

boxhitch
05-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Good idea to check the change of wind currents in the evening, the change is dramatic now with all the snow around.
Timing could be everything.

TIKA 300
05-08-2008, 06:12 AM
:eek:BANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!or whap

Stone Sheep Steve
05-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Good idea to check the change of wind currents in the evening, the change is dramatic now with all the snow around.
Timing could be everything.

Yes, wind direction is always an issue in that area since the approach always has to be from the same direction. From my experience over there EVERYTHING has to go just right....and that's only happenned once. Using a bow will make it all the more challenging.......................

SSS

GoatGuy
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Yes, wind direction is always an issue in that area since the approach always has to be from the same direction. From my experience over there EVERYTHING has to go just right....and that's only happenned once. Using a bow will make it all the more challenging.......................

SSS

Go over there and stroke that thing.

Hunting bears there is practically as easy as turkey hunting.......... .......................:lol:

hunter1947
05-09-2008, 03:24 AM
I have found out over my hunting carrier that when you work into the wind most times it is in your favor 60% of the time ,the other 40% of the time it changes direction especially in the black timber ,many of times i have got busted from elk when the wind shifts to a different direction. I really don't know what to do when this happens ,there is really nothing a person can do except make sure he has showed that morning and to have lots of cover scent on him ,but that never has worked for me I still get busted.:roll:.

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
OH YA!!!! Got to love that artchey stuff. Have some one to back you up and go for it. Good luck , can't wait for the story

dukester
05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Holy Crap I'd drive from Sask to get that bear.. Thats a very nice colour forsure.. Keep us posted ..

Gateholio
05-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Kill that bear, or you are a loser. Period.

Fisher-Dude
05-10-2008, 06:54 AM

No pressure to make the shot today SSS! :lol:

Hopefully the weather cooperates for us. Looks kinda crappy right now. Time to get the Nikwax out! ;)

Elkhound
05-10-2008, 09:42 AM

Ouch.:eek: not much to say after that one lol

Fisher-Dude
05-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Hmmm. Poor SSS. We didn't kill that bear today. Saw 6 of 'em but not that one. Maybe some other day.

Just finished killin' a tick that was on my hat. Hate those lil buggers! :mad:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmmm. Poor SSS. We didn't kill that bear today. Saw 6 of 'em but not that one. Maybe some other day.

Just finished killin' a tick that was on my hat. Hate those lil buggers! :mad:

At least we're all fresh for Mother's Day. :?
Always have to look at the positive.
Thanks to FD and Flinch for coming out.:smile:

At least the weather wasn't as bad as today.

SSS

boxhitch
05-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks to FD and Flinch for coming out

No wonder. Too much snow for the Dirtymax and the sQuadcar too, I bet.

Flinch
05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
At least the weather wasn't as bad as today.

SSS

It would have turned pretty miserable if we had made a play and connected....the rain started just after dark...it would have been a little damp out on that hillside at about 1:00 in the morning packing him out:shock:

Fisher-Dude
05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
We saw these two handsome fellows hanging out with the bears last night. Both were really nice billies!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0538.jpg

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 04:50 AM
It would have turned pretty miserable if we had made a play and connected....the rain started just after dark...it would have been a little damp out on that hillside at about 1:00 in the morning packing him out:shock:

Wimps, all of ya!

The pack out ain't that bad.

boxhitch
05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
"The pack out ain't that bad." he says, from 5,000 ft.ASL

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
"The pack out ain't that bad." he says, from 5,000 ft.ASL

2 feet and a heartbeat to get there - not a 50 year old heartbeat mind you :smile:.

Like a walk in the park.

Fisher-Dude
05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
2 feet and a heartbeat to get there - not a 50 year old heartbeat mind you :smile:.

Like a walk in the park.

Looks like quad access is doubtful. Good spot to take pictures. I think I'll apply for wildlife viewing eco-tours there.

Flinch
05-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Looks like quad access is doubtful. Good spot to take pictures. I think I'll apply for wildlife viewing eco-tours there.

From the zipline no doubt!

I think we may be on to something.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Somebody go pound that bear. I'm most likely won't get anymore time in the next couple of weeks with Calvin's grizz hunt coming up.
By then the bears usually move on for new greenery.

SSS

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Somebody go pound that bear. I'm most likely won't get anymore time in the next couple of weeks with Calvin's grizz hunt coming up.
By then the bears usually move on for new greenery.

SSS

There's not enough room in my pack and the dogs for a boned out bear and a quartered out "the dude" and I ain't making two trips.

Fisher-Dude
05-12-2008, 09:56 PM
There's not enough room in my pack and the dogs for a boned out bear and a quartered out "the dude" and I ain't making two trips.

I can walk in and out of there if you and Kaza pack my bear out for me. :lol:

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I can walk in and out of there if you and Kaza pack my bear out for me. :lol:

Sounds good but if you have a jammer you going to be bear bait!!!!!!!!!!!!

boxhitch
05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'll come along, carry a pound or two, just to see F-D try to stalk that pig. Rumour has it his moves are things of legend.

Fisher-Dude
05-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds good but if you have a jammer you going to be bear bait!!!!!!!!!!!!

AV Sako action, no jam. It should only take one shot anyways...

GoatGuy
05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
AV Sako action, no jam. It should only take one shot anyways...

I'm meant a heart attack when I said jammer but hey whatever floats your boat.

Speaking of boats how much does the sako weigh? You'll be walking around lopsided by the time we get back from the hike.

Fisher-Dude
05-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Speaking of boats how much does the sako weigh? You'll be walking around lopsided by the time we get back from the hike.

I think it's 8lbs 7oz scoped. Not too bad for a beautiful piece of walnut!

Mr. Dean
05-13-2008, 09:28 AM
This Bear isn't dead yet???

C'mon guyz,,, get withn it!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
This Bear isn't dead yet???

C'mon guyz,,, get withn it!

We're just your typical "Internet" hunters.......just like to "talk" about it. Really..... it's just too much work.:roll:

SSS

huntcoop
05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
2231 views and 66 replies........brutal.

I'm not sure what's worse...the bear still being alive or all of us morons that keep checking out this post, ME included. :roll:

Mr. Dean
05-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Pretty soon............... I'm just gonna go in and DO IT. :evil:

Fisher-Dude
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Pretty soon............... I'm just gonna go in and DO IT. :evil:

Ever shot a bear that lives in goat country Mr D? 8)