PDA

View Full Version : What to upgrade for my birthday

pupper
05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Its my BDay coming up shortly and I am trying to decide what hunting gear to upgrade. I was hoping to get some advice here, my budget is 400-500.

Hunting boots- i currently have some danners but would like to get a pair of high country boots like lowa sheep hunters or Kenetrek in order to lighten up and get a more proper boot for the high country.
Bino's- I have a set of 10 power bruntons that are good enough but I know how important binos are for hunting, should I do a slight upgrade or wait until I can spent 1-2k and get a real pair like leica or swaro's
rangefinder- I have a bushnell yardage pro rangefinder that is operational but I would like to have that tru ballistic range technology that the new rangefinders have, not to mention my rangefinder glass is not that clear and is almost useless in low light.
Spotting scope- I dont have one, is this the time to get one? Aplen, Nikon, Leupold, what would be a good option for my price range and should I even get one as most of the time binoculars get the use.
Handgun- not totally practical but it would be a fun toy.

Let me know your thoughts!

boxhitch
05-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Get the boots. Essential item.
Anything that you carry, instead of wearing, are luxury items.

pupper
05-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Get the boots. Essential item.
Anything that you carry, instead of wearing, are luxury items.

good point boxhitch, I also could have added Jacket or clothing with the boots as the boots come in around 250-350.

bigwhiteys
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Spotting scope- I dont have one, is this the time to get one?
Yes... And then you'll be able to save some money on the boots for now. Less Walking with the spotter if you're only looking through binos now. Lots of options for spotters in $300-$500 range.

Carl

Fisher-Dude
05-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Its my BDay coming up shortly and I am trying to decide what hunting gear to upgrade. I was hoping to get some advice here, my budget is 400-500.

Hunting boots- i currently have some danners but would like to get a pair of high country boots like lowa sheep hunters or Kenetrek in order to lighten up and get a more proper boot for the high country.
Maybe. Boots are essential.
Bino's- I have a set of 10 power bruntons that are good enough but I know how important binos are for hunting, should I do a slight upgrade or wait until I can spent 1-2k and get a real pair like leica or swaro's
No. Don't replace crap with crap. Save up until you can afford Swaro, Leica, Zeiss. Don't waste another $500 on crap.
rangefinder- I have a bushnell yardage pro rangefinder that is operational but I would like to have that tru ballistic range technology that the new rangefinders have, not to mention my rangefinder glass is not that clear and is almost useless in low light.
Leica 1200 rangefinders are $595. Awesome optics and accuracy, good choice.
Spotting scope- I dont have one, is this the time to get one? Aplen, Nikon, Leupold, what would be a good option for my price range and should I even get one as most of the time binoculars get the use.
See bino answer!
Handgun- not totally practical but it would be a fun toy.
Buying a headache IMO. :wink:

Let me know your thoughts!

My thoughts.

srupp
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree with Fisher-Dude..completely..good advice..

Steven

quadrakid
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
what kind of scope do you have on your shooting iron? a great scope is a good investment.

frenchbar
05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Iwould spend the money on good boots,imo ya can get away with average optics and still have sucessful hunts. save the cash up and pick up some high end gear when you can afford it.

dana
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Good boots are always a good investment. If your Danners are still in good shape, why do you need different ones. I blew my Danners out rather quickly but most guys are not as hard on equipment as I am. I currently am on my second pair of Lowa Sheep Hunters. Yup, blew out the first pair in roughly 2 years. They lasted longer than the Danners and were cheaper too. But again I stress, if there is nothing wrong with your Danners then why upgrade?
Good glass is also a great investment. Sure it would be nice to spend a ton and think you need the best. But, there is a lot out there that will suffice and you don't need to break the bank to do it. The advice that Fisherdude gave is completely Backasswards. Cheap glass is way better than no glass. Glassin is an art. If you don't know how to glass with the cheap glass, the expensive shit ain't gonna make ya a better glasser. For years I used my old man's old Busnell spotter and glassed up more monster muleys with that than most guys ever will with their fancy stuff. When I was in the market for better glass, I found a smoking deal at the Kamloops Gunshow for a Leupold Compact spotter. I bought it well under the price you are looking at spending. With that spotter I too have glassed up tons of animals that guys like Fisher Dude would never see in a million years cause he doesn't get his fat ass off his quad. :) Just recently I picked up a Leupold variable at the Kamloops Gunshow for another smokin deal. If you keep your eye on the Buy and Sell, you can usually find good glass in the price range you are thinking about. Don't go without. Buy what you can afford, and then learn to use it. If you can afford better in the future, then upgrade.

oddsix
05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
A damn good pair of german boots.

pupper
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, I think I have it narrowed down to spotting scope or boots.
what spotter models are good for my price range? I mean not just the brand but what model of the brand?

dana
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
If you can find a Leupold 25x50 Compact, that is a super spotter. Leupold hasn't made them for a while, but I've seen them numerous times in the Interior Buy and Sell in the $300-400 range. Being a Goldring, there is a lifetime warrenty so there is no need to fear buying used. I have one but I'm not willing to part with it as it will be the spotter my kids will pack around. You might want to post up a Wanted to Buy thread in the buy and sell section even here, as there may be someone willing to sell ya one. It was very popular. Mule Deer Guru Mike Eastman raved about it in his book Hunting High Country Mule Deer.

pupper
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
well after searching, humming and hawwing I finally purchased a Leupold 15-30x50 Gold ring compact spotter: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190221091373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009
and these early season hikers:
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-420-HK