PDA

View Full Version : Long Weekend Fishing

browningboy
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
It's almost here! I'm trying to decide where to go for the first trip, either Merrit or Princeton area, going to haul a travel trailer etc. and figure where would the place to go, provincial parks are a gong show, so any ideas that wouldn't be bad? Was thinking of Paske Lake but probably still has ice and or Thaila Lake area but that may have ice as well! Anyhow if anyone has any ideas , could you give me a hint as now I'm towing a big trailer so options are limited but trying to find a nice place to go without the "partiers" getting blasted all night!LOL

Hmmm HBC Fishing Derby??

BlacktailStalker
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Saw a whack of punts in a lake along highway 97C on the way home from Kelowna today, not a big lake either, didn't catch the name of it but I didnt see any ice on any lakes come to think of it.
About half way to 5A on the right, just an observation that may or may not help.
Wish I coulda stopped !

wetcoastwillie
05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
We just got back from a weekend at Sugar lake, the weather was beautiful, a little bit of snow on the ground but all in all a GREAT weekend out with the wife and kids!

Lots of great camping around there!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9137

swampdonkey
05-05-2008, 07:38 AM
going up to my cabin by paska this weekeed i will let you no if the ice is off

tomahawk
05-05-2008, 09:05 AM
BB, I'll be out off shore from Bamfield and Ukie where I don't need to worry about ice off, good luck on your trip!

browningboy
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
going up to my cabin by paska this weekeed i will let you no if the ice is off

That would be great, looked at Surrey Lakes current cam and ice is still on but still have two weeks, but if its good, thats the most likely place I'll be.
Let me know, that will be great!

browningboy
05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
BB, I'll be out off shore from Bamfield and Ukie where I don't need to worry about ice off, good luck on your trip!

Thanks Tomahawk, you better not speak too soon, ice still on lakes in may?? LOL Anyhow good luck to you too, are you looking for some springs?

tomahawk
05-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Tomahawk, you better not speak too soon, ice still on lakes in may?? LOL Anyhow good luck to you too, are you looking for some springs?

Unfortunately my partners dad just passed away and they are going to have his service that weekend so it will be delayed a little but we will be after some prings and hali's if the weather cooperates.

browningboy
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately my partners dad just passed away and they are going to have his service that weekend so it will be delayed a little but we will be after some prings and hali's if the weather cooperates.

Best of luck man, just fish deep and hard!:twisted:

Robert_G
05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
That would be great, looked at Surrey Lakes current cam and ice is still on but still have two weeks, but if its good, thats the most likely place I'll be.
Let me know, that will be great!

Could you post a link to that cam?
Thanks.

srupp
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
tomohawk my twin brother guides out of Nanaimo but gets up to UKI often we are there in August for hali and salmon..

Steven

BIGHUNTERFISH
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Loon lake near Clinton is very nice ,great fishing beautiful scenery and easy access.No ice to worry about and the fish are biting I am heading up there on Thursday.:lol:

newhunterette
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I heard that Green lake was still ice on and also canim lake has ice one but beginning its thaw - it better be thawed by the long weekend sigh need to get into the cabin and fish and wohoooooooooooooo bear hunting

loon lake is at 20 mile so could be a thaw happening - could phone whitemoose resort they will let ya know

BigBanger
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Ive stayed in the cabins at whitemoose resort . Real nice people . Cant wait to go back.

browningboy
05-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Loon lake near Clinton is very nice ,great fishing beautiful scenery and easy access.No ice to worry about and the fish are biting I am heading up there on Thursday.:lol:

Whats a good spot for an RV? I know theres several fishing resorts there but is there any FSR campsites?

browningboy
05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I heard that Green lake was still ice on and also canim lake has ice one but beginning its thaw - it better be thawed by the long weekend sigh need to get into the cabin and fish and wohoooooooooooooo bear hunting

loon lake is at 20 mile so could be a thaw happening - could phone whitemoose resort they will let ya know

Damn ice! Looks like it should be fine for the long weekend, funny though I was looking at pics of previous may weekends and some were of us swimming! Imagine doing that now! LOL Be hung like a budgee!

BIGHUNTERFISH
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Whats a good spot for an RV? I know theres several fishing resorts there but is there any FSR campsites?

I dont know about FSR campsites but my buddy brings his big trailer and stays at Marigold resort ,it is quiet, family oriented and has good facilities.
www.bcadventure.com/marigold/ (http://www.bcadventure.com/marigold/)

browningboy
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I dont know about FSR campsites but my buddy brings his big trailer and stays at Marigold resort ,it is quiet, family oriented and has good facilities.
www.bcadventure.com/marigold/ (http://www.bcadventure.com/marigold/)

Looks like a nice spot, will have to try it out, thanks BHF!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Just to give you an idea on how far things are behind..........a co-worker ran into the lodge owner from Pennask and he has cancelled all bookings for the month of May.
He took his auger out this past Sat to measure the ice...it's still 4 feet thick:eek:.
I know Pennask is higher than you're looking to fish but this gives you an idea on how slow everything is this year.

SSS

newhunterette
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I spoke to my Mom last night - she says Canim Lake is thawed - she was in forest grove and everything seems to be warming up and a freind of hers went up to mahood and the lake there is almost all thawed

tomahawk
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
tomohawk my twin brother guides out of Nanaimo but gets up to UKI often we are there in August for hali and salmon..

Steven

Steven

I will be there in "Fogust" as well. Just love that area and all it has to offer. Coincidently my brother comes down from the "Puddle" to go out there with me as well. If you get a chance we should get together for a coffee or whatever when you hit town if you've got a spare moment!

Tom

srupp
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
good idea Tom..I am bringing my Alberta buddy and his DAD along...we head to Nanaimo on August 14 fish 15th and 16th and 17th and then head home...

Steven

browningboy
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Well I'm going to a conference in Penticton today for the rest of the weekend, drive up hwy 3 and come home the coq to see how some of the other lakes are doing, may need to do some ice fishing!

kishman
05-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Corbett Lake is Ice free so you'd think that Kentucky and Alleyne Lakes would be as well. Also, Peterhope, Tunkwa and Lieghton(sp?) should be shaping up. Plenty of other small lakes with rough FSR sites in the Tunky-Lieghton area to camp at as well. Good luck, play safe.:-o

browningboy
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Corbett Lake is Ice free so you'd think that Kentucky and Alleyne Lakes would be as well. Also, Peterhope, Tunkwa and Lieghton(sp?) should be shaping up. Plenty of other small lakes with rough FSR sites in the Tunky-Lieghton area to camp at as well. Good luck, play safe.:-o

Hey Kishman, you going to be "getting down" to the Elvis tunes and make some more kick ass pics! LOL Those were great! I'm going to have to get some made of myself as those are the "good ones" to look back at!

tomahawk
05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
good idea Tom..I am bringing my Alberta buddy and his DAD along...we head to Nanaimo on August 14 fish 15th and 16th and 17th and then head home...

Steven

Steven

Give me a PM the week before and we can try and hook up. I will send a PM as well.

Tom

bcfarmer
05-12-2008, 06:22 AM
was in the kettle yesterday...ice still on lks at 4000ft....off at 3700...so should be fine by long wkend.

ice went off taurus in 3 days after open water on edges.....so stated by a local up there.

BB...most of the lakes in the Pike mtn area, you can get a T.trailer into...ice has been off them for the last 3-5 days.

Any questions about those lks, I find if you phone Princeton outdoor supply, that they are very helpfull.

bcf

longwalk
05-12-2008, 06:39 AM
BB I was going to suggest the Pike mountain area also. Lakes like Thalia will be pretty busy, but there is lots of small lakes to choose from, Clifford and Johnny are quite nice. I have pulled my 23' trailer into most of them over the last few years. You have to take it easy in some spots but nothing that is undoable. Good luck and good fishing, we will be pulling the shack out the following week for ten days.

browningboy
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I was thinking the pike mountain area as well, I just can't comprehend spending money to camp (provincial) as theres so many areas to go, its just been a while since I camped in lower bc as most of the trips were up north. I came back from Penticton on sunday and a light snow in Manning Park but deer by the mine in Princeton! Man saw about 80 at least, no bears but getting ready for hauling the big bucket for the first time, should be a hoot! Once I figure the lake, I'll post and stop by for a brew!

browningboy
05-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Well which lake next...Loon..Paske...???
Whats the reports saying??

swampdonkey
05-28-2008, 02:57 PM
paska is ice free fished it sat 24th was into a few nothing big but still had fun will be back up june 6 7 8

browningboy
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
If I get my new truck brfore then, I'm going to try to make it up, check out your new digs!