PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Zone X

spock
05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Thinking of putting in for the cow elk draw in a Zone X MU, is there anything in particular I should know about this area, lot's of private land, shot out after the youth/sr opening? which time period september 21-30 or October would be better to put in for.

05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Thinking of putting in for the cow elk draw in a Zone X MU, is there anything in particular I should know about this area, lot's of private land, shot out after the youth/sr opening? which time period september 21-30 or October would be better to put in for.

If you put in for anywhere north of Skookumchuck the late season is better, futher south it doesn't matter. Lots of Crown Land to hunt. Don't worry about "shot out", elk all over the place. Consider the Grasmere area (4-02) and you can get in on the private land enfranchizement pilot project. For more info on this program see the first (regional map) page of the region 4 section in the hunting regs.

hunter1947
05-03-2008, 06:00 AM
I would say the earlier the better ,that way you are getting a crack at them befor they get shot at and pushed hard.

sawmill
05-03-2008, 06:39 AM
There is some bullshit ALTITUDE restriction,no hunting above 2500 feet .:roll:Something like that,it`s been in place for a couple of years.So buy an altimeter or turn back when your ears pop.

Poguebilt
05-03-2008, 07:08 AM
hunted zone x last year for 1 week... had to watch the alt. alot!!!! you a re very restricted in that area... we still got one cow elk and 1 black bear that week though!

fyi.. we are putting in for a different area this year due to the height restriction....

rocksteady
05-03-2008, 07:16 AM
The elevation restriction is 1100 metres, about 3500 feet or so...Any GPS will show you that, still gives you a lot of country.

05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
The x-zone elevation limit is in place for a very important reason. It allows the non-migratory elk to be targeted.

brotherjack
05-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Ummm... last I looked, the Zone-X was the yellow area on the map. Tis true that mostly it's borders follow the 1100 meter contour lines, but there are areas within it that are higher than 1100 meters (and there are areas below 1100 meters that are off limits). Either that, or their map is wildly misleading.

05-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Ummm... last I looked, the Zone-X was the yellow area on the map. Tis true that mostly it's borders follow the 1100 meter contour lines, but there are areas within it that are higher than 1100 meters (and there are areas below 1100 meters that are off limits). Either that, or their map is wildly misleading.

That's true, but the few areas and hills within the x-zone that are over 1100 meters are still part of the zone (as per the map), and open for the x-zone hunts. Any area that's yellow on the map is x-zone.

The entire EK below 1100 meters is not designated as x-zones. The x-zones roughly encompass the agriculture areas plus buffers where the elk depredation on agriculture land is heaviest.

Variations are simply mapping details to make identification of the x-zones and the x-zone boundaries easier. It would be much more difficult if there were islands of non-x-zone within the yellow.

As you know BJ, a significant portion of the East Kootenay elk population is non-migratory. This component is mostly responsible for the ag-land depredation. Additionally the non-migratory elk forage on the winter range year around and thus compromise the amount of forage and carrying capacity for migratory elk. Reducing the population of non-migratory elk is not just for the ranchers benefit, it also benefits the migratory elk. The x-zones are an attempt to impact this non-migratory component. That's why the x-zone hunts end in mid October when the migratory elk appear in the lowlands.

spock
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the responses guys

brotherjack
05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
That's true, but the few areas and hills within the x-zone that are over 1100 meters are still part of the zone (as per the map), and open for the x-zone hunts. Any area that's yellow on the map is x-zone.

The entire EK below 1100 meters is not designated as x-zones. The x-zones roughly encompass the agriculture areas plus buffers where the elk depredation on agriculture land is heaviest.

Sorry, I guess I didn't quite say it right - yeah, what you are saying, that's what I meant. I was saying it in response to the folks who were saying you could just run around with a GPS to see if you're legal or not - that won't work, because it doesn't universally use the 1100meter contour.

Thanks,

hunter1947
05-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Just stay down on the flats and you will be safe ,if not then do your home work with area maps look at land marks etc. I would ask farmers that want the elk gone from there fields if you could hunt there property ,nothing to loose by asking ,all they can say is no.

rocksteady
05-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I would ask farmers that want the elk gone from there fields if you could hunt there property ,nothing to loose by asking ,all they can say is no.

Just don't knock on thier door on day one and expect the go ahead...

Start a few days early, so that you have time to BS with the guy and he gets a sense of who/what you are....First impressions are critical. DOn't just roll up in your truck with the quad in the back and step out in full camo.....Also offer up a portion of your game if you get one (most will decline), if nothing else a small token of your appreciation (24 pack or 26er of something special) goes a long way...

J_T
05-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Just don't knock on thier door on day one and expect the go ahead...

Start a few days early, so that you have time to BS with the guy and he gets a sense of who/what you are....First impressions are critical. DOn't just roll up in your truck with the quad in the back and step out in full camo.....Also offer up a portion of your game if you get one (most will decline), if nothing else a small token of your appreciation (24 pack or 26er of something special) goes a long way... Yup, this is definitely a common mistake. Show up in your civies, if you're from the okanagan, bring wine or fruit aplenty, if your from the coast, bring seafood as tokens of appreciation.

mark4
05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
There are way too many other awesome hunting spots in the Kootenay's to put up with all that BULL !!! I'm not into the begging and pleading part myself, tip-toeing around- oh I can hunt here- but I can't hunt there- plus I find the crown land and remote areas way better to hunt anyway.

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Well put mark4, I found myself saying them exact words last year, they taste better when you work for them anyway!

Nooker77
05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Well the wife got that draw last year and we waited till the 3rd wk of Sept and the cows where spookier than WT's by then..lol we had a few chances/encounters but no good shots. We go later because I want to hunt for my 6pt and I find the latre on a little better for the bugling! Very busy on weekends in the 1100m range...lots of local traffic! We go for 2 to 3 weeks and have a great time! The 1100m mark is tough to stay below....have to stay pretty close to the Lk..lots of deer around though!! Even went for a swim in Kookanusa Lk first week of OCT!! Brrrrr...lol! Then a hot shower at the camp ground!! :cool: