PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Grizzly hunt....

srupp
05-02-2008, 10:48 AM
The lucky guys that won the Leh for K bay area for coastal grizzly were here at my place last nite and again today..couple hrs last nite and a couple hrs today and they are off for the wild wet west..:cool:.. seemed like great guys who asked some good questions..then they met Tim..who got the amazing bear from last spring..made sure all the gear was in order..and the "why ...how ...where... when..." got went over did the best I could to help them be successful..the rest is up to Mother Nature..the good Lord...and them...they have several weeks..:eek:..so I anticipate another B&C BEAR !!!..Just one thing woud have made it better...If they would have let me tag along...sigh...

Hope my map comes back in one piece eh Gate./?? chuckle...

Sheesh..now just 6 other groups of grizzly hunters to stop by and head out THEN I can concentrate on the black bear hunters..lol

Spring..gotta love it...

Steven

BiG Boar
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
well, i am heading out for the mighty americanus blackus giganticus bear in T minus 3 hours. hopefully everything this grasshoper has learned will pay off. Its time to rock and roll. Bears 120000–160000, Dave and Joel 2. I have ate so many damn sardines I think I am growing gills. My next post will have myself and my buddy with the new boone and crocket record pictured. Any last words of advice?

Leaseman
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Don't forget about us fall hunters eh Buddy....:shock:

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of help you give to so many.....!!

I take my hat off to you Mr Rupp....:cool:

BiG Boar
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Me too, thanks for all your help, so far you have helped me see one bear I wouldnt have otherwise. You are the godfather of bear hunters.

tomahawk
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Don't forget about us fall hunters eh Buddy....:shock:

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of help you give to so many.....!!

I take my hat off to you Mr Rupp....:cool:

I second that, your willingness to share info with your fellow hunters deserves to be recognized and applauded. Steven thanks for all you do in sharing your vast knowledge with the rest of us. My hat goes off to you too!

srupp
05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Leaseman I have a place for you and your son Nick already... in the hopes you guys do find time between surgeries to come for some deer..

bigbore straight shooting if Biaggio doesnt respond I will be in contact..remember stay out till LAST shooting light with ursus americanas..

tomahawk..awww Im not that nice..lol they asked if Susan(my wife ) could go along as cook..I did SAY NO..lol:tongue:...joke!

I try and give back some of what Ive been blessed with..and in the process have met some amazing wonderful individuals..like Boo, Gate Kutenay..Springer..sx2....etc etc etc etc..it goes around...:oops: I DID mention I still dont have a stone sheep..oooops..

These grizzly draws are one in a lifetime..and I know "I" would dearly love to have help if I was new to a area and wanted a grizzly and to do it right and safely..these guys will have THE trip of their lifetime and I for one cant wait for their stories and photos...

Steven

BCbillies
05-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Look forward to seeing a few pics in the weeks ahead. We're heading out tomorrow with two grizz and two blackie tags. The focus is on grizz and rumour has it they're out! :smile:

srupp
05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
good luck and straight shooting bcbillies...

Steven

BCbillies
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
good luck and straight shooting bcbillies...

Steven

Thanks Steven. I'm just going along for the ride and romance. ;) The boys with the tags are good to go!

Leaseman
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Steve....
you are way too generous.... even in my books....:eek:

hopefully, later this summer, may the sturgeon gods smile on you....:wink:.... I want top see you break my boats boundaries and hit the eight foot mark....

Mike

newhunterette
05-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Steve....
you are way too generous.... even in my books....:eek:

hopefully, later this summer, may the sturgeon gods smile on you....:wink:.... I want top see you break my boats boundaries and hit the eight foot mark....

Mike

no no no I am gonna break the record on the boat hehehehehe - sorry Steven :)

srupp
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I hope you do ALI.. Mike is so generous taking and showing guys and gasl sturgeon action...

Leaseman
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Actually Steve old Buddy....

You will be on my boat and break (hopefully) many records... the time with you, Thomas and me is the highlite of my sturgeon career.... hope you can break it with me and Nick sometime.....

pmj
05-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Good on you Steve,
It is great you are able to help these guys. It is good to read Gates thread about his grizzly hunt which is a must read for first time griz hunters.
You are a true sportsman Srupp.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

srupp
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I still remember Rob and Gate and THEIR grizzly draw there, meeting them and going over "stuff":roll:...and then thinking of them while they were there how was it going ??? did they connect yet??? how big etc etc..and then to read Clarkes saga of Kwatna Bay..he has such a talent for telling stories..it took me along for their hunt...

I cant honestly recall how many hunters have graced our homes door ways...literally hundreds...and countless hours on the phone..and e-mails..beyond counting... EACH YEAR......usually a dozen or so bear hunters...in the spring one or two in the fall...40 or 50 moose hunters some goat hunters..and sheeeeeep...and of course deer and then the fishermen...lol I dont recall a day in 7 years that i havnt had some sort of contact asking about this or that...today I am at work and have had 13 e-mails from Caribou to grizzly...

Best thing is most ARE successful..not all but most...makes a guy feel good...

gotta run finished flying in the A-star for the day..now to look on a ma[p where I was and what I saw..where it was also...lol

The boysa should be in K bay making camp..and having dinner...fresh crabs...:lol:

steven

BCbillies
05-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Got back last night from a 3 day hunt just slightly inland from the coast. The focus was grizz but had the blackie tags just in case. Saw 16 bears of which one was a Kermode. The next bear we spotted after the white bear was a very dark(black) grizzly with silver tips at over a km away. From the tracks we'd seen in the area and initial scoping on the bear we put him at around 7'. The wind was perfect but the ground was dry and crunchy! At 300 yards we could make the bear out through the brush but no consideration given for taking a shot. Too far in my books even if line of sight is clear. From here the bear would be out of sight due to the topography. With the wind working with us we moved ever so slowly to close the distance with no room for a screw up or to even risk passing gas. As we neared the danger zone we had both rifles ready to go at a moments notice. We could hear the bear in the brush but could not make him out. Until he bolted at less than 10 yards away we didn't know where he was. The bear had moved down from a more open area and into the thick brush right next to where we were going to sit and wait him out. This was a great stock and as close as one can come to success without firing a shot. From what we observed this isn't the only grizz in the area and believe he heard our movement and got a little nervous. The next evening the bear came back out and at the same time so did the rain. We saw the bear for a very brief period and he disappeared.

Thanks to TSW and Gerrygoat for a great hunt and for the LEH's. Too bad I can't be part of the action this weekend! :sad:

srupp
05-10-2008, 03:07 AM
hmmmm its very early on May 10th and STILL no news from the Coastal grizzly hunters...hope they are having a blast...

Saw one little 5 foot black bear with a perfect hide out near Likely tonite..

Steven

Elkhound
05-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Steven you are a man among men, truly all the help you give is above and beyond.

I wish all the hunters a safe and triumphant return.

Hope it's me one day.

But I will want you to tag along;)

srupp
05-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Elkhound..YOU get the draw..I WILL be there with video camera and POPCORN..wouldnt miss your adventure on a dare...

16 hour niteshift is over yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn sleeeepy time...

Say g;nite elmer

Steven:D

Mr. Dean
05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
The lucky guys that won the Leh for K bay area for coastal grizzly were here at my place last nite and again today..couple hrs last nite and a couple hrs today and they are off for the wild wet west..:cool:.. seemed like great guys who asked some good questions..then they met Tim..who got the amazing bear from last spring..made sure all the gear was in order..and the "why ...how ...where... when..." got went over did the best I could to help them be successful..the rest is up to Mother Nature..the good Lord...and them...they have several weeks..:eek:..so I anticipate another B&C BEAR !!!..Just one thing woud have made it better...If they would have let me tag along...sigh...

Hope my map comes back in one piece eh Gate./?? chuckle...

Sheesh..now just 6 other groups of grizzly hunters to stop by and head out THEN I can concentrate on the black bear hunters..lol

Spring..gotta love it...

Steven

That right there tells me that they're committed to not only cutting their tag, but selecting a brute as well. If they come home empty handed, it'll be because they just didn't find "their" Bear.... But I predict they will. 8-)

Nice to see that they are truly taking this hunt seriously, and that they're making it an experience of a life-time. For a group of guys to abandon their families and other life commitments, for this hunt, is admirable.

I wish them well and envy them also.
GOOD LUCK!

Gamebuster
05-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Is Gatehouse's story from Kwatna still on here...I can't seem to find it

srupp
05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Mr. Dean they DID show extreme diligence in their preparation and in the questions they asked , showed insight into admitting when they didn't know something...grizz hunting is different in a lot of ways from other hunting..

However there ARE numerous other hunters who also got "this area" who may not know how to and the serious negative impact to everyone including Scott and Kevin by just running around smelling up the area and disturbing the bears..they WILL in fact change their location and their habits.. even becoming nocturnal..and at the very least choosing locations that are inaccessible to reasonable shooting..

I love helping other hunters and spend a considerable amount of time and effort and lately with fuel costs not an inconsiderable amount of coin checking changes and conditions..I don't want to do anything but the best for everyone who spends the time and effort to seek some advice and help out.Some dont put in the effort nor listen to "advice" and sometimes the results are less than anticipated..however a very high percentage do extremely well .For this specific area I know how many bears are there, and the BIG DIFFERENCE between spring and fall hunting this spot where the bears are and more importantly when and WHY they are at any given location at any given time..that comes from study, experience and a couple decades of going in there hunting.I take their success in harvesting a bear personally...and am probably more disappointed in them failing to harvest a big animal than perhaps even they are . When the guys last year went to the Cariboo Mountains to where I suggested they would find a trail..a well hidden trail that at the very end held a small slide that very few would find and even fewer would sit on and watch they indeed found their grizzly..however the next part about NOT shooting at 200 or 300 yards was discarded in their excitement and eagerness to obtain their trophy...and they did HIT the bear, and then did everything right to find the wounded bear, unfortunately they could not , BUT they DID do the right thing again and CANCELLED their tag..knowing with the amount of hits the bear was in all likelihood deceased..a great experience with family members, to FIND the elusive animal on ITS terms all takes planning ,knowlege gear, time and LOTS of effort and it still was only 95% done..

Well I ramble...I wish sincerely for these guys to be successful in their endeavour..I STILL have to learn not to take others results personally as I can not control the events so far from home...

They seem like they will do well...

Steven