PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a guide

Moose_Eater
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Does anybody know a good web site or any kind of information on who to talk to about getting a job as a guide? This is something I have been looking into for a while and I haven't really been able to find much information.

Thanks

BlacktailStalker
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/game_guide.html#ShowAll

Deaddog
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Give reg collingwood (collingwood bros outfitting) a call they run a guide school every year up there.

04-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Try looking at the classifieds in "The Western Producer"
From my experience, the only requirment to become a guide is a pulse...

bruin
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, guides are stupid!!:biggrin:

endtimerwithabow
04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
there is or used to be any way a course in willies puddle that teaches you guiding and winter survival i looked into it a few yrs back. not sure if they still have it there or not i cant afford to take time off work for to much fun i have too many mouths to feed (4 kids and a wife).

GoatGuy
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Give reg collingwood (collingwood bros outfitting) a call they run a guide school every year up there.

And if you do a good job you'll find yourself a job with a good outfitter.

Rod
04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
The courses will help if you need experience with people, horses, caping etc. and they will probably help get you in touch with outfitters looking for fresh meat :-)

You still need to have an outfitter hire you and sponsor you as a asistant guide. WOW now you are in!!

what's next?

Long days, lousy pay, crappy living conditions and for me it has proven to be the most satisfying job I have ever had the pleasure to hold!

Rod

pupper
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.harrymccowan.com/outfitter.htm

Sikanni Stalker
04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Long days, lousy pay, crappy living conditions and for me it has proven to be the most satisfying job I have ever had the pleasure to hold!

Rod

Amen brother!

Sikanni Stalker
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
PM me if you are interested. I can give you some good info and even set you up with some of the glamour Rod talked about on the job if you like.

dana
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
If you have a fair amount of hunting and bush experience, you don't need to go to guide school. Just look up the email addys of the outfitters you are interested in working for on the GOABC website and send them a resume.

Sitkaspruce
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
If you have a fair amount of hunting and bush experience, you don't need to go to guide school. Just look up the email addys of the outfitters you are interested in working for on the GOABC website and send them a resume.

Thats all I did 9 years ago. Also tell them you are good cook, do not smoke or drink and that you do not mind being by yourself with two strangers. Another recommendation is to start off with a small outfitt, perferably with drive in access, to see if the life is for you. Nothing worse than going to a fly-in camp and find out three days later that it is not for you and there is no chance of getting out:eek:.

About 15 years ago, I looked a guide school, but then talked to a few outfitters and they all laughed at the school and said why go to some place that you have to pay to learn, when you can come work for us and we will pay you learn. Made sense to me.

As said before, be prepared for stange characters, brutal weather, long days, crappy pay, so-so accomadations, and having to sometimes baby sit strangers, but I would not trade it for another job in the fall anyday.

Any questions fire me off a PM.

SS

MattB
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Guiding sucks, you never know though you might end up witha nice shiney belt buckle if you work hard enough :twisted:

steveo32
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry posted under my brothers name.

Pm me i might have a job if your really are interensted and dont mind a angry outfitter yelling all the time:biggrin:

boxhitch
04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Chances of getting a job with a Guide/Outfitter are very good.
Chances of getting a guiding job with a reputable G/O, if you have no experience guiding, are slim. A good G/O generally has too much at stake to put a rookie on the front line. But it happens, the stories are there to prove it.
Chances are a starter job would be wrangling horses, cutting wood, opening trails, packing meat, general Camp Jack stuff.
A guiding school is a good idea for getting some experience of the Equine type, probably the toughest hurdle for most kids these days. If you're using horses, and F--k-p, it could be the end.
Anyone can cook and hunt and entertain strangers (some intelligently).

Hot Shoe
04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Pick an area or species you want to guide for, pick up the phone and start selling yourself. The biggest thing Outfitters look for is your enthusiasm, if you want to learn it you will. Most Outfitters would rather have you learn their ways as opposed to coming from a guide school. Be prepared to prove yourself by doing the grunt work, but if you are true guide material you will move up fast. Always hard to find quality guides, even more so now with the western economy booming, not much young blood with out a job anymore.
The easiest thing to teach someone is horses, when it comes to hunting skill you either have it or you don't, very hard to teach.

fireonethree
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey,

NorthWest Community College has a Hunting and Fishing Guide Program offered through their Smithers Campus. There are two courses starting in May.

Check out the link:

www.nwcc.bc.ca/ce (http://www.nwcc.bc.ca/ce)

Hope this helps, and good luck.

-FOT

GoatGuy
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
If you have a fair amount of hunting and bush experience, you don't need to go to guide school.

You might get lucky and find a decent outfitter that will take you on but you also might find yourself out on a lake using a spade as a paddle or sleeping in a tent from crappy tire in a blizzard or given canned food for a backpack hunt.

You take your chances.

Reputable outfitters hire guides out of that school. Other outfitters hire guides off the street.

elkdom
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
You might get lucky and find a decent You take your chances.

Reputable outfitters hire guides out of that school. Other outfitters hire guides off the street.

YEH ! and the Provincial Government hires Wildlife Biologists out of University, and look what a success that is! need anyone say more????

dana
05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
You might get lucky and find a decent outfitter that will take you on but you also might find yourself out on a lake using a spade as a paddle or sleeping in a tent from crappy tire in a blizzard or given canned food for a backpack hunt.

You take your chances.

When I first was lookin at getting into guiding, all I did was grab the email addy's of various outfitters on the GOABC website and I sent out emails. Funny that I had quite the response very quickly as a result. I believe it was around a dozen job offers by the next day. I think by the end of the first week it was pushing 20. Pretty well known outfitters called me right away. Heck, was offered a job guiding for Lancaster/Fontana even. They wanted me up in Nahanni Butte, but being a family man, it wasn't in the cards for me. Told them if they needed a mule deer guide for their Fraser operation to give me a call.
Maybe it was the fact I attached some of my hunting photos with each job enquiry or the fact I had lots of horse experience. I don't know. But I was able to pick and choose. If and when forestry really hits rock bottom, I know I can always fall back on guiding again. Getting a job from my experience is pretty damn easy.

willy442
05-01-2008, 05:09 PM
As an ex outfitter and employer of many guides out of Collingwoods school, I must for once agree with GG. The experience that you will gain in the matters of Horse's, packing, Caping, care of hides, and equipment, will make you graduate from a wrangler to a guide alot quicker. One huge part of guiding is learning the country you hunt, this can only be achieved through hard work and a keen interest of listening to those with area experiance. The actual job itself is not hard to get, to be able to fill it once there can be a diferent story. All the best and good luck its a hell of a good time for a young fellow.

Moose_Eater
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot. I've gotten a ton of great information. Hopefull I'll figure everything out and be working the dream job by next season. Thanks again

browningboy
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
One of our members just bought a territory around Lilloet and has 1500 sq miles, starts guiding this fall, has unlimited bear, deer and 8 sheep, should be interesting! I won't mention names as of yet as I'm not sure he would want me to?

ElectricDyck
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I know you do it for the life style, but for curiousity sake, what's a starting wage and what's an established, experienced wage?

bigwhiteys
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
what's a starting wage and what's an established, experienced wage?

Oh this should be good :)

model88
05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Well I might as well get the ball rolling.......:wink:

most outfitters around here pay $150 to start, from there it just goes up. I have heard of some getting $225 a day. Now take $225 a day, figure how many hours you work and figure it out in dollars per hour:smile:(typical day starts at around 5:00am and goes untill.......)

Most do it for the love of the job not the money. I have been at it for 10 years now, aint rich but have met some amazing people and experienced some pretty cool things.

bruin
05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I would agree with you model, but you also have to include tips which can be a pretty substancial part of your seasonal income, although it is not always predictable.

hunter1947
05-02-2008, 03:21 AM
When becoming a guide The one thing that you have to be good at is tolerating they the clients needs on whats if and donts ,you have to more unless in lots of cases look after them like a young teenager. That's one thing that I would not be cut out for if I was a guide outfitter.

GoatGuy
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I know you do it for the life style, but for curiousity sake, what's a starting wage and what's an established, experienced wage?

Depends on the outfitter - start between $100/day as a grunt -$180/day depending on experience and it goes up from there. Top end is usually 200-250. Having said that my buddy gets $300/day for rockies on one heck of a fun hunt.

Tips are way better working for better outfitters and of course big ticket critters. Good outfitters also offer bonuses for shooting old/big critters. Flip side is you pay if you screw up and shoot a young ram. Other neat things include a free hunt for the guide every couple of years in the territory.

newhunterette
05-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I wanted my guiding license but decided I would rather be the camp cook :)

model88
05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
I would agree with you model, but you also have to include tips which can be a pretty substancial part of your seasonal income, although it is not always predictable.

I didn't include tips cause that can be a sore spot for some. But in general, most tips run around $300 and up. Kinda sucks now the way our dollar is against theirs:(

There are other kinds of tips as well, such as gifts etc.

newhunterette
05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/becoming_guide_outfitter.html

browningboy
05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I wanted my guiding license but decided I would rather be the camp cook :)

You can be our camp cook ANYTIME!! After all those dishes I seen last year, anytime Ali!:lol:

Sitkaspruce
05-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I started at $165/day and am now around $210/day. I have an easy hunt as the area I work in. My day usually starts around 6 am, we usually hunt to noon, then rest until 3 or 4, then off for the evening. I am usually in bed by 9:30-10. In between, I cook the food and wash the dishes (when I cannot get the clients to:smile:). They have to fill up their own wood box and sweep out their cabin. If we get an animal down, then there is a little more work, but not that much.

If you do this, one thing I recommend is to get into a routine, if you can, and try to stick to it as much as possible.

The tips average between 300-400/client for 7 day hunts. I usually guide 4-6 clients per year. The bonus for me is that I am still collecting a paycheck at my real job as I do the guiding on my holidays

About 70% of my clients are repeats, which makes it easier to guide as we know each other and have a lot of fun. I do this fun and not to get rich. The money I make goes towards toys and the hunting fund. The tips go into our travel/slush fund and the wife and I do something with it together.

SS

Moose_Eater
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
To be honest I would like to get into guiding more for the lifestyle than for the money. I can't think of anything better to wake up to every morning.

newhunterette
05-02-2008, 03:48 PM
You can be our camp cook ANYTIME!! After all those dishes I seen last year, anytime Ali!:lol:

I will be ready by opening day - working on my food safe license, my serve it right - I already have the experience

sorry moose eater - I kind of went off your topic

silvicon
05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
$ 300 -400 tips per hunt?
you must be guiding amerikans.
europeans are realy cheap and you may not even get a hand shake!
i am sick and tired of this bozos'!
can't shoot, can't hike, won't ride a horse, whiny sniffling b.s.'ers!

waistdeep
05-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds like someone should get out of the business!

silvicon
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
not realy,
the yanks are pretty good and many come back to fish with me,
in return i get free fishing trips in the lower 49.

waistdeep
05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
now that sounds like a good trade off

model88
05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Of all the hunters I have guided, the most troublesome and cheapest where.....Canadians! go figure.

Like Sitka said, get a routine going, get as much sleep as possible and most importantly have fun! I have no regrets doing it, was always a dream of mine. My uncle was an outfitter in the Okanagan for years, he was my hero.

steveo32
05-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I have had some problem americans to and some awsome europeans so i guess it all depends on how you get along with the client.

If it were up to my i would guide for free if the outfitter would let me take a moose and caribou maybe the odd grizz every year!

silvicon
05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
yes, there are good and bad ones in every bunch.
my 'dance card' for fishing trips is full for this summer.
Michigan, Idaho, Washington state, Montana, Wyoming.

ElectricDyck
05-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Those wages sound reasonable, actually higher than I would of thought after hearing peo;e talk about it. If I weren't in the system with wife, kids and house it would be a good adventure.

My problem would be guiding the arrogant types with no respect for nature that I'm sure you get now and then. I know I run into them in the bush.

model88
05-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Those wages sound reasonable, actually higher than I would of thought after hearing peo;e talk about it. If I weren't in the system with wife, kids and house it would be a good adventure.

My problem would be guiding the arrogant types with no respect for nature that I'm sure you get now and then. I know I run into them in the bush.

OH YEAH, I love running the no-it alls into the ground. Walk their arses off for a couple of days;-) that usually shuts them up.

boxhitch
05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Walk their arses off for a couple of days:wink: that usually shuts them up.

LOL . A common phrase, 'I had to ride em around the mountains for a couple days' :tongue:.
Builds respect, and changes the size of acceptable Trophy. I think it helps give the client the full experience :wink:.

358mag
05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
LOL . A common phrase, 'I had to ride em around the mountains for a couple days' :tongue:.
Builds respect, and changes the size of acceptable Trophy. I think it helps give the client the full experience :wink:.
does your "BOSS" know your ways or was he the one who showed you that method ???

Sitkaspruce
05-04-2008, 07:15 PM
OH YEAH, I love running the no-it alls into the ground. Walk their arses off for a couple of days;-) that usually shuts them up.

That is one of the best ways to bring someone to your way of thinking:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Another way is tell tham up front that I am not their joe boy and if they do not like it, they can get back on the next plane and enjoy their holiday somewhere else. They usually do not know what to do or say and then when they scream for the boss, I tell them where the radio is and have at it. I have never A$$ kisses or bent to their ways. Not my style. I am also lucky in that most of the hunters I guide are blue collar working stiffs like us and understand what it means to make a buck. Make it an adventure and not a hunting trip and it goes much easier and faster.

SS

boxhitch
05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
does your "BOSS" know your ways or was he the one who showed you that method ???My hunt, therefore my SOP

elkdom
05-04-2008, 08:55 PM
The fact is,'The GUIDE is the BOSS' as the licenced guide it is my choice! to guide the client to a Book Trophy! to a conversation piece Trophy on the clients' wall, a meat trophy on the last day of the hunt( take it or leave it !) or walk the client around for days on end! and he goes home with sore feet and empty game bag! Clients that are disrespectful, arrogant,know it alls,or rich little spoiled guys dont matter squat to me! I obey the Wildlife REG's and the Firearms REG's and I demand a certain amount off respect for myself, the animal we seek,the outdoors and the Environment, I and I only as the licensed Guide am responsible for all actions of my guided client! so yes the Guide is the boss,the Licensed Outfitter will always back up the Guide if there is any question of a client's intentions when issues of safety,Statutes Provincial or Federal or just plain respect for other hunters or the wildlife that we pursue!.I have on a few occasions ,demanded the ammunition from clents and took them straight away to camp and even to the airport and told them ADIOS' dont bother coming back! Thats me!

willy442
05-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Granted over the years I dealt with a few unruley clients. However with the last few posts on this thread it seems the clients are now being dealt with as dudes, rather than being shown the respect as fellow avid out doorsmen and hunters that most desire. This is exactly what I was talking about in my other post about how anyone can land a guiding job, but few can actually perform as proffesionals. No matter how hard a client is to get along with he is in your element and with proper encouragement and guidance rather than looking down on them. They will all come around to joining in and becoming a partner in the journey and hunt rather than being useless dudes as they seem to be refered to on this thread. Remember they have paid to come to your country as guests to enjoy and hunt the great country we have here and they should be treated as such.
:shock:

boxhitch
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Granted over the years I dealt with a few unruley clients.
Looks like you have seen all types, too. So you know that one can't generalize about the characters or how they are treated. Each hunt is different, that is what makes it enjoyable.
Respect has to be earned, not demanded. This goes for all activities, but especially when dealing with paying customers. I have never had a problem that couldn't be resolved in a fashion suitable to two grown adults. I work for The Outfit, and do what is best for it.
Its just sometimes it takes a couple of days to settle the feathers.

model88
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I have been guiding for 10 years now, with many repeat clients. My comments where about the few that just don't get it. By this I mean they figure the animals should be around every tree or the money that paid for their trip just didn't mean anything to them or the ones who figured you should wipe their arse for them.:eek:

I am completely professional when guiding, regardless of how they got the money, its still a lot of money. So I make sure they have the best hunt possible.

The biggest tip I have recieved was from a client who was a millionare, I didn't know this untill he went home, he never harvested an animal, but he had the time of his life:biggrin:

mcrae
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
A little of topic but I have always wondered do you fella's that guide for a living ever loose your passion for hunting being as its your job? Personally hunting is my escape from everyday life so I have always wondered if you did it as job would it mean less to you on a personal level?

Sitkaspruce
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
A little of topic but I have always wondered do you fella's that guide for a living ever loose your passion for hunting being as its your job? Personally hunting is my escape from everyday life so I have always wondered if you did it as job would it mean less to you on a personal level?

I do not do it for a living, but I do get a little burn out when done and usually take two to three weeks off before going hard for mulies. The time off allows me to catch up on the honey to-do-list, spend time with the family and relax. The biggest thing I miss is the elk season and early season deer hunting.

With repect to what some others have said about the client and respect, they have to earn mine as well as I have to earn theirs. If we have a conflict, then we either agree to disagree and move on or we come to some kind of agreement. Knock on wood, but I have only had to deal with two clients who I just could not please, no matter what. One guy shot a 48" bull moose in the morning and a 6'8" black bear in the afternoon of the same day. Of course we saw a 55" bull the next day and he accused me of pressuring him into shooting the "little moose" so that I did not have to hunt any more. You will never be able to please guys like that, no matter how much respect you have or what you may do to try to get along with them. But they are usually far and in between.

SS

GoatGuy
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM

No - as mentioned it's only tiring when you get a tough client. We would generally go moose hunting on our way down after guiding for a couple of months and then deer hunting after that.

I only had one 'bad' client - he had a plate in his head from getting into a motorcycle accident.

Repeated himself a lot, same stories over and over and had major mood swings and some pills that helped keeping him in check.

Definitely had a screw loose.

Very trying experience.

BCrams
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I've been asked to guide a couple times without having applied but have said no so far. Maybe one day I'll take a stab at it.

It is definatly a lifestyle from those I have talked to. I have heard its tough to break away from it once you have done it for a few years.

willy442
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM

To me the passion is being in the country, viewing the animals in thier natural habitat. I was very lucky in the sense that I primarily guided Stone Sheep, Goat, Mtn Caribou and Grizzly Bear at a time when most of region 7 was too remote and unaccessible for most. This gave me the opportunity to stalk and view most speicies with out them having any knowledge of man. It is amazing when you can walk through Rams and they stand and look at you while keeping a safe distance of 50 to hundred meters away.
The other thing is, every animal I've guided for could have been shot by myself. The only thing I failed to do was pull the trigger, so really you are thier for every minute of the hunt. Even today I would much rather be along for the trip than shooting for myself. The only thing that gets old are the clients, some quicker than others but we still have to maintain proffessionalizim, good or bad.

dogsoldier
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
If you haven't had an answer yet, check out Chilcotin Holidays guide school. Good training and employment in the industry.