PDA

View Full Version : Squamish way?

Phoneguy
04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I am looking for some info on the area for a potential day trip. Normally I would head out to Harrison, but I have a very large picture framing tool that needs to get to the framing shop in squamish, maybe I could get it out of my garage and go after some bear too!

I want an eater, my buddy may want a rug as well. What are they like around there, fishy? Also, which general direction(s) should we head?

Thanks
James

BANG!
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi James I took a drive up the Elaho Valley last week. You can get pretty far up the river but not too high into the side roads. Saw some fairly fresh bear scat but no fur - other than a couple of nice little blacktails. I think another couple of weeks and there will be better access to the higher ground - whcih still hadn't really greened up that much compared to the grass at sea level. I think I'll be trying Boston bar for my next day trip.

Let us know how you get on if you do go up.

PS - there are a few Grizzlies up in the Elaho these days.

sneg
04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
I went up to Squamish and Elaho FSR last weekend. Lot of snow in higher elevation,stuck a couple of times. Have seen real monster in swamp just across Squamish river bridge iwo Elaho.I was a little slow on trigger , as could not believe my own eyes the size of that blackie. Than I passed on smallish size bear, b/c now I want my monster back. Busy next w/end, but heading back week after that . Good luck.

ryanb
05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Drive up the Elaho, take some spur roads, shoot a bear.

Just make sure it's not a grizzly before you shoot. If it's brown, make damn sure it's not a grizz because there aren't many if any colour phases in the area.

Bow Walker
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I used to hunt a lot up in the Squamish area - specifically in the Indain and Shannon river watersheds. Never did see any bears :frown: but there was always lottsa sign. Last time (almost 8 years ago) I was up there the roads were ditched out pretty good. Obviously "they" didn't want vehicles or hunters up in there. The Indian river basin was pretty much off limits completely. :mad:

Probably changed by now, though. Sorry for the out of date info.:icon_frow

Blainer
05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Indian River basin has been closed for years now.
check forestry website for more info.
The Mamquiam should be accessable.

pointandshoot
05-01-2008, 10:49 PM
i went up the mamquiam 2 weeks ago and didn't get any further than the bridge at the 10km marker because the road turned into snow. i took a drive up the elaho for the first time this morning. very nice drive, saw a blackie (small) but it was on the indian res. and also seen a deer. i only went as far as the 30 mile mark because i had to go to work in the afternoon but i think next week a buddy and i are going to spend the day going further.

Phoneguy
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Any road reports this week. We are heading out tomorrow!

humble hunter
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Any road reports this week. We are heading out tomorrow!

If you are coming up please take a drive up the mamquam and if you see a nice brown phase bear, shoot him. I am sick of him coming into my yard and wrecking my garden. I would shoot him but I already have a brown. :smile:

Phoneguy
05-03-2008, 09:49 PM
If you are coming up please take a drive up the mamquam and if you see a nice brown phase bear, shoot him. I am sick of him coming into my yard and wrecking my garden. I would shoot him but I already have a brown. :smile:

Did you want to point him out to us? We will have two tags with us! We will be leaving New West around 9AM (Sunday). Have to drop off the framing equipment in town, probably fill up on gas and refreshments and then we are on our way. Anything to help out a fellow HBC member!:smile:

Where would it be considered legal shooting on the Mamquam, I have never driven that FSR (or any of the other ones out there). Just the usual distance off the paved road rules....and I am trying to find them in the regs without success

Blainer
05-03-2008, 10:20 PM
It should be posted,but you must pass all the new residential that you will see on the left.Few k's up and then fork to the left,follow it around to the river,and good luck.