PDA

View Full Version : Gizz in Boston Bar!

ElectricDyck
04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
We were on our way out of the Nahatlatch area at around 8:00 and had just hit pavement. We were driving admiring some deer in a farmers field to the left when we looked left and saw 4 very large bears in ranch land about 100 yards away coming down a grassy slope toward the road. I stopped the truck to look, they stopped turned and lumbered back up hill, 2 of them stopping to look back for a brief time. I grabed my binos and had just enough time to see their blond humps dissapear into the bush. My passenger who is quite familiar with bears got a good look at the 2 bears faces when they turned. Unbelievable but definitely grizz and 4 same size together.
We saw these right before the start of north bend fsr in Boston Bar.

Comments?

Mr. Dean
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Other than Banff Bears, I have only had the fortune of seeing one other in the wilds. Seeing a group as you did, must have left you in awe.

hunter1947
04-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Its nice to see that a few Griz coming back in that area ,good spotting on your part.

gerrygoat
04-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Probably a smallish sow with 3 big cubs. My late uncle told me that he and his son shot a sow grizz many years ago (they both used 7x57's) that was causing trouble on the farm that was actually smaller than her cubs. If that is the case I would think they would be splitting up soon before mating season. Nice to see them filling up their original range again.

ruger#1
04-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Seen griz at the north end of harrison lake, only seen their tracks in between Boston bar and Lyton, on north side of the river.

browningboy
04-27-2008, 08:30 AM
I've run into grizz lots of times but it was at least 44km mark up the NSR, but as theres a strong salmon run up further and quite secluded (Unless you know where to go) so most will not see any but tracks forture!

I remember one time we were dropped off in a 12foot boat and did a drift into the nahatlatch river to the lake and when we were drifting along a stretch there was an uprooted cedar (8 foot dia) and two heads poked up and we didn't think much of it then moma stepped up and holy shit, we were floating right towards her (drifting, no motor) so we made lots of noise and they did take off, sounded like thunder in the bush as they ran right beside us through all the smaller aspen etc.
Another funny thing too, there was two squatters cabins right on the river , one sign said " All tresspassers will be shot on site!"
**For any FS personel on here**

Dirty
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I almost died laughing. Somebody has to fix it. I thought you might have picked up two stranded female hikers and had an enlightening experience in the woods of Boston Bar. On a side note, nice spot. It seems like they never stick around long enough to truly appreciate them (only when you are in the truck:biggrin:).

browningboy
04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I almost died laughing. Somebody has to fix it. I thought you might have picked up two stranded female hikers and had an enlightening experience in the woods of Boston Bar. On a side note, nice spot. It seems like they never stick around long enough to truly appreciate them (only when you are in the truck:biggrin:).
X2 on the title!

TIKA 300
04-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Thats great on you guys

Was up Kwoiek (north of Nahatlatch)2 years ago and seen what i thought was a griz,but was one of those 49/51% situations
Was in the same area again 1 month later,and talked with a guy who lives in BB and said his parents own a ranch along there ,so every spring they would see the same sow griz.

Fisher-Dude
04-27-2008, 08:49 AM
X2 on the title!

LOL! X3!

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "Don't ya get no gizz upon that sofa, sofa..."

Dragginbait
04-27-2008, 08:52 AM
I thought you might have picked up two stranded female hikers and had an enlightening experience in the woods :biggrin:).
Then it would have said "cougar" not grizz.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_100.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt425YYCA)

Dirty
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Then it would have said "cougar" not grizz.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_100.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt425YYCA)
http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZNxpt425YYCA (http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZNxpt425YYCA)

I see you have a refined taste. You like your meat "aged" before you eat it. :biggrin:

boxhitch
04-27-2008, 09:02 AM
In the immortal words of Frank Zappa:
F-Dude, you are full of surprises.

browningboy
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
F-Dude, you are full of surprises.

X2, and always full of funny pics!

Fisher-Dude
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
X2, and always full of funny pics!

Well, full of something anyways...

Dirty
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, full of something anyways...

Is it Gizz?

ElectricDyck
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Probably a smallish sow with 3 big cubs. My late uncle told me that he and his son shot a sow grizz many years ago (they both used 7x57's) that was causing trouble on the farm that was actually smaller than her cubs. If that is the case I would think they would be splitting up soon before mating season. Nice to see them filling up their original range again.Yeah that's what my body figured, either that or a bachelor group. Quite the cool sight seeing large bears like that after seeing 41/2 to 5 1/2 foot black bears all day. They definitely had some weight it looked like they were carrying saddle bags under their fur coats.

EvanG
04-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow good to hear, come to think of it an experianced buddy of mine fromwork mentioned he had seen fresh grizzly tracks a couple weeks back up in that area

BCBairdo
04-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Have seen one grizz up between the Nahatlach and Kwoiek drainages before and my buddy who was wildlife Bio for the area says the Ranch in there has had problems with Grizz in the past. Surprising to see 4, like someone noted probably sow with 3 large cubs.

vortex
04-29-2008, 07:27 AM
last year the little boston bar newspaper had a little story about a grizzly eating apples from somebodies yard (on the north bend side). I have seen a grizzly in hornet ck. (east harrison) and there is definately some resident bears in kwioek.

The Dawg
04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Is it Gizz?

Doubt it....apparently it was left in Boston Bar...

ASPEN
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Spend a lot of time up log creek road - saw 5 Separate grizz one weekend.Loggers couple years back having problem with sow and 2x 2 year old cubs-They apparently did air count and found ten , relocated 6-said they have never seen such a dense population.One in particular was known for visiting the dump in boston bar.Guy i met up with that weekend had video of the sow and two cubs on the ridge top!

elkdom
04-29-2008, 08:47 AM
LOL! X3!

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "Don't ya get no gizz upon that sofa, sofa..."

You guys are SOFA KING, funny!