PDA

View Full Version : Good day bear hunting in Boston Bar

ElectricDyck
04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow what an exciting day. The bears are definitely up and moving around. Being relatively new to predator hunting I was really not prepared for the excitement of bear hunting. I was within 15 yards of 2 bears and 40 of another. We couldn't find any cuts that were green yet but we found a road lower down that had greened up and did our best to spot them in some low bush areas.We ended up coming home empty handed but a very good day none the less. Sorry got some pics of some black tails, but forgot about the camera when the bears were around. I don't know if it was the weather but there was a lot of game moving around.

Total game seen:

7 grouse
34 black tails
5 black bears
4 grizzly bears (gonna start another thread on this)

hunter1947
04-27-2008, 04:30 AM
That is one heck of a lot of animals to see in the day ,good for you,

tomahawk
04-27-2008, 06:28 AM
That's a great day and a lot of excitement just watching all the animals you saw.

Blainer
04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
You seen 4 Grizzly bears in Boston Bar?
look forward to a new thread on this topic.
I have hunted Boston Bar on many occasions and have yet to see a Grizz.

browningboy
04-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I've hunted the Nahatlatch for 20 + years, where did you go? Km mark?

bsa30-06
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
What the hell 34 blacktails, are you sure that aint a typo.Sounds like a awesome day.

c.r.hunter
04-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow what an exciting day. The bears are definitely up and moving around. Being relatively new to predator hunting I was really not prepared for the excitement of bear hunting. I was within 15 yards of 2 bears and 40 of another. We couldn't find any cuts that were green yet but we found a road lower down that had greened up and did our best to spot them in some low bush areas.We ended up coming home empty handed but a very good day none the less. Sorry got some pics of some black tails, but forgot about the camera when the bears were around. I don't know if it was the weather but there was a lot of game moving around.

Total game seen:

7 grouse
34 black tails
5 black bears
4 grizzly bears (gonna start another thread on this)

Are you sure they weren't mulies? I've always seen mulies around Boston Bar....But I suppose I'ts a huge area.

ElectricDyck
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I had more pics but my little point and click camera gets very grainy when I zoom and takes terrible pictures at dusk so I deleted them. Crappy pic but if you look closely at the one looking it has some fairly large bases starting. How come you don't see these guys in season.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/BlacktailBostonBar.jpg

bsa30-06
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I had more pics but my little point and click camera gets very grainy when I zoom and takes terrible pictures at dusk so I deleted them. Crappy pic but if you look closely at the one looking it has some fairly large bases starting. How come you don't see these guys in season.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/BlacktailBostonBar.jpg

You dont see them in season because they all get leaked copies of the regs and know when opening day is.

EvanG
04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
yeah, according to the BC club, the boundary for mulies and blacktails is ruby creek on the North, side of the fraser and the skagit on the south. Wow four grizzlies? last count I saw was 15-20 grizzlies left in the cascades, sure they werent just phase blacks?

manalishi
04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
I camped at Nahatlatch Prov Park during the week nice looking area up there. I seen lots of deer no bears, got some great video of a buck and doe and 2 fawns eating on the side of the road just coming out of the park. Filmed them for 20 mins from 30 feet away with a HiDef video camera. I'll post some fotage after I master video editing.

Tarp Man
04-27-2008, 05:38 PM
It depends where you were in Boston Bar and Nahatlach, but the boundary there has those deer listed as Mule Deer. Sorry to disappoint. You gotta go to suburban Victoria and Sooke to see Blacktail lounging around like that!

endtimerwithabow
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
there are grizz in that area I know this because I grew up in BBar and North Bend. at the bottom of the road that goes up to blue lake ther was a grizz (long time ago). the mountain that north bend is on is called deer mountain by the locals for good reason.

mainland hunter
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I was up there with him, the deer looked to be mulie blacktail crosses. some had mulie ears some had small ears. some no rump patch with others in the same group having rump patches, all had solid blacktails. deer dont listen to boundries always but they were not pure blacktails but they definately had blacktail traits, The grizzlies were nice looking decent sized bears, i was quite surprised to see them there. the bears were close to north bend

Mr. Dean
04-28-2008, 12:09 AM
:eek:
HYBRID DEER!!!