PDA

View Full Version : Horse Ranch Range

msawyer
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Hello all...

I'm planning on doing a 5-10 day walk about this July in northern BC (just after the Atlin music festival) and wanted to know if anyone who has been into the Horse Ranch Range can give me any info... I'm interested in a good wilderness walk with lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing/scenery... Anyone?

Thanks

Mike
________
medical marijuana doctor (http://mmjp.org)

Brambles
04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Thats a big ass mountain, I flew over it in September. Not sure about hiking to it, I think there is a outfitter horse trail that goes tot he south end of it, check the backroad mapbook.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2008, 04:02 PM
You'll, somehow, have to cross the Dease River to get to it or you can fly into Looncry Lk.

SSS

Brambles
04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
There are some smaller un-named puddles on the north end that our pilot said he could land on but it still put you a km or two from the range.

msawyer
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks Gentlemen...

My plan is to fly in and out using float or helicopter, what ever is available and most cost effective... I am, however, intrigued with the idea that there may be horse trails that I could follow in from the southwest... Any ideas where I would get more information on these "horse trails"?

Having said that, I am wondering if anyone has actually been in/on the Horse Ranch Ranch... I am specifically trying to get a handle on what wildlife a person would likely see and whether or not a person could hike/scramble along the spine of the range without having to detour off the height of land to many times...

Any special features of note would also be good to know about (ie fossil beds, springs, cultural sites, rare plant communities ect)

Thanks again...

Mike
________
Fujio Cho (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Fujio_Cho)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Take a look at Google Earth. I think that small area is high def(? going on memory)
The G/O has a cabin on Looncry so I would imagine horse trails leave the lake from there.

Caribou, Stone Sheep, Grizzlies, moose, wolverines, Mtn goats. Probably a chance of seeing any of those. Caribou for sure.

Sure looks like one could dance along the ridge tops but can't tell for sure just from Google Earth.

SSS

Lil Buck
04-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Cant use a helicopter if hunting ....

just a little tid bit of info for ya

But wha
t do I know

LB:cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Hello all...

I'm planning on doing a 5-10 day walk about this July ... I'm interested in a good wilderness walk

Doesn't sound like much hunting planned.

SSS

msawyer
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Roger that... No hunting planned... Except with my camera... I just want to get into some good country...

Mike
________
vaporizer shop (http://vaporshop.com)

Brambles
04-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Personally If I was going up there and not hunting I'd get a helicopter to drop me off right on the ridge.

I'll dig through my photo's in the morning of my trip past the range, it was bad weather so you can't see the whole thing but I think I have some photo's that might give you an idea of what to expect. I even have some 8mm footage of it in better weather on the way out IIRC but its at my brothers house and he just moved so its probably in the abyss of boxes.