PDA

View Full Version : Elk in Enderby

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Must say I was a little surprised last week-end, when I seen 2 elk across the highway from that drive in theater on highway 97a. One was a small 2 point bull(yep he still had his antlers) and the other was a small bull/cow.

Any Enderby guys here who see elk on a regular basis or is this a freak occurance?

RO

GoatGuy
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Must say I was a little surprised last week-end, when I seen 2 elk across the highway from that drive in theater on highway 97a. One was a small 2 point bull(yep he still had his antlers) and the other was a small bull/cow.

Any Enderby guys here who see elk on a regular basis or is this a freak occurance?

RO

They've been watching the elk for the last 6+ years that I know of and picking up some whopper sheds. Sometimes you can spot 'em from the highway.

BCrams
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Hopefully it won't be long before they open a season in region three and region five for elk.

They will continue to spread. I have seen elk through to Blue River so I am not surprised elk are making the push south from the Robson Valley.

Just wait until they hit the open grasslands along the Fraser down through the Chilcotin country!

May have to sit tight in the meantime until the First Nations issues are resolved.

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
They've been watching the elk for the last 6+ years that I know of and picking up some whopper sheds. Sometimes you can spot 'em from the highway.

That's great, I just don't frequent that area very much, but have seen and heard of elk in areas not far away from there.

RO

GoatGuy
04-25-2008, 01:16 PM
That's great, I just don't frequent that area very much, but have seen and heard of elk in areas not far away from there.

RO

Buddies have also been seeing some honker bulls near Falkland as well. They're definitely spreading out.

Fisher-Dude
04-25-2008, 01:29 PM

RO

GG is there all the time. He picks up dates at the Enderby Super Save station and takes them to the drive-in for some coochie-coo. :biggrin:

KevinB
04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
GG is there all the time. He picks up dates at the Enderby Super Save station and takes them to the drive-in for some coochie-coo. :biggrin:

He's hunting Cougars now??

A friend of mine saw a couple of elk cross the highway near Falkland last year. They are definitely around. I haven't seen any sign of them closer to Kamloops but it probably won't be long!

BCrams
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
He's hunting Cougars now??

A friend of mine saw a couple of elk cross the highway near Falkland last year. They are definitely around. I haven't seen any sign of them closer to Kamloops but it probably won't be long!

It will be like hunting them in the states with the grasslands / sage brush etc.

They probably won't open a season on them until they realize the elk are out competing the sheep along Kamloops Lake. or perhaps when elk are running rampant along the winter sheep range along the Fraser River. With our interior winters a little colder and more snow than region 5 - those elk will just keep moving and spreading south into easier areas.

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 03:46 PM

That's one way to pass the time between seasons....and get info on some local honey holes :-D:-D:-D

RO

Dannybuoy
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Seen them up Hidden lake road as well

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
A friend of mine saw a couple of elk cross the highway near Falkland last year.

Thought I seen a lone bull elk in one of those alfalfa fields, between Whispering Pines and Falkland last summer. I was going too fast and only got a glimpse on the first pass, so I turned around and came back, turned out to be a very large 4 point mulie. Falkland is only a short jaunt from Enderby for a roaming elk.

RO

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
The elk in enderby where planted in the Hidden lake area years ago, guessing i would say at least 20 years ago. They have had a hard time! the herd winters on the native reserve and summer mostly up by silver star ski hill. their numbers have just started to pick up. the original herd was something like 12 animals now they count about 30 on the winter range

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I've seen and heard the Mable lake elk on a few occasions. 2 years ago while doing some slash burning, I was headed down the road on my quad to assess the next block. I stopped for a leak beside the road and about chit my pants when a bull let out a bugle about 30 yards from me in the timber. Pretty cool, once I realized it wasn't a Sasquatch........:mrgreen:

RO

sealevel
04-25-2008, 06:26 PM
there`s a small herd on mount ida has been for about 15 years . Last summer i saw a couple just a couple clicks west of chase.

ruttinbuck
04-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Buddies have also been seeing some honker bulls near Falkland as well. They're definitely spreading out.
Thought I was onto the "Father of all mulies" one day when I saw the rubs one of these guys was making.I saw the elk that winter and it all fell into place.RB

ruttinbuck
04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
I've seen and heard the Mable lake elk on a few occasions. 2 years ago while doing some slash burning, I was headed down the road on my quad to assess the next block. I stopped for a leak beside the road and about chit my pants when a bull let out a bugle about 30 yards from me in the timber. Pretty cool, once I realized it wasn't a Sasquatch........:mrgreen:

RO
They are hanging around the sugar lake country as well.If you time your driving accordingly you can see them when arriving or leaving.RB

boxhitch
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
definitely spreading out.

takes them to the drive-in for some coochie-coo.

on some local honey holes
And I thought F-D was referring to a KFC when he said it was f.l.g.

bckev
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
mowitch slayer, rumour has it that you have them tied up in your back yard, waiting for the sheds to drop care to comment on this speculation.

Gunner
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
There's a few small bunches,once in a while someone will poach one.(2 heads were found last year in a ditch on Salmon River Road).I've seen the Westwold bunch,I've also seen elk crossing at the drive in where River Otter saw them.There's been a couple at a friends place near the Enderby bluffs.We've seen a couple of cows near Silver Star while chasing cats.A friend saw a bull with good sized velvet stumps on the Trinity road last week(at 3:00 AM after night shift!).I also know where there is a bunch of 20 with 2 good bulls,but the numbers locally don't appear to have increased a lot in the 8 years I've been here.I don't think you'll see a season anytime soon! Gunner

Fisher-Dude
04-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I saw two dead house cats on the road there this morning, maybe the elk stampeded the kitties into the pavement? :grin:

Boxhitch - *****!

Sharkey
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Pretty cool, once I realized it wasn't a Sasquatch........:mrgreen:

RO

No - the Sasquatch hangs out at the Enderby Inn.

But seriously folks - that's pretty cool to see them in this area. I haven't seen any myself but will keep an eye open for them for sure now.

Pete
04-27-2008, 05:14 AM
We had them on our ranch in the Paxton north of Falkland back in the late 50's early 60's. Over the years their numbers have been slowly increasing. Now we are seeing them at Westwold, Hulcar, Okeefe flats, Sliverstar and the list goes on.

RiverOtter
04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
They are hanging around the sugar lake country as well.If you time your driving accordingly you can see them when arriving or leaving.RB

I've seen members of that herd(s) on a number of occasiongs, right where the pavement ends on Sugar lake road. They winter on the south slope, across the Shuswap river.

RO

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
BCKEV, i don't think so . (shhhh!!!) Thats why i'm coming to your back yard to put up my treeestand

bckev
04-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Just make sure you don't shoot my donkey or llama's

RiverOtter
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Funny you should say that, as my BIL's girl friend exclaimed, "Look at those 2 horses", as we drove past the elk......grin

I thought the antlers were a dead give away, but I guess not:lol::lol:

RO

muzzy
04-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Ya, let's kill every damn one before it makes into the grasslands, if nothing else kill them all for hunter recruitment purposes..who needs them ????

Fisher-Dude
04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Ya, let's kill every damn one before it makes into the grasslands, if nothing else kill them all for hunter recruitment purposes..who needs them ????

No willy, we're going to spend a bunch of tax money managing them so that only non-residents can hunt them. To hell with the resident hunters. :roll:

Thanks for your input willy. :cool: