PDA

View Full Version : Would you hunt black bear if....

04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I have taken a few black bear in my hunting career, and really enjoy hunting them. I have always kept the meat, and like it, but my family will not eat it. So I basically no longer hunt black bear.

I was just wondering how many of you would be more likely to hunt black bear if you did not have to keep the meat?

twoSevenO
04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
i would .... in a heart beat!

kgriz
04-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Technically you do not have to keep the meat for consumption, you just must transport it to your permanent residence. What you do after that is your business, many people I know cook it and feed it to their dogs.

elkdom
04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
The regulations require the hunter to remove edible portions of black bear to a place of residence,you do not have to transport the entire bear carcass,only edible portions, so find your bear of choice,harvest the black bear bone out the edible portions take it home, once there you can boil it,feed it to your pets,eat yourself,give it to a friend,provided the friend does not discard the meat in a manner contrary to the Reg's, the recent requirement to remove bear meat was only established to pacify the anti-bear hunting movement! years ago the limit for black bear in BC was 5 per year in some areas,in those days very few hunters bothered with any part of a black bear but the hide, black bear still remainin the Reg's as a fur bearing animal,trappers use bear meat as bait for other species sought after by the trapper,not so many years ago residents could also take 2 moose per year!

Gateholio
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I woudl hunt black beears regardless of the meat retention rule, but I'd make the choice on keeping the meat after the animal was tagged...If it smelled liek a salmon eating bear, I'd leave the meat!:biggrin:

one-shot-wonder
04-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I hunt black bears without knowing if I am going to eat the meat. I still packout the edible portions but once home decide if I need the meat, otherwise give it away....lots of friends with dogs that will take it as well!

Steeleco
04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I hunt them for the meat first and foremost, as well how many hides can I afford to have done?? If I ever went off the meat, I'm sure I could find a benefactor here on the site that would eat the meat.

I also think that if the Biologist think we have too many bears the "meat out" regulation should be changed to allow hide only hunting, or else have the ministry for the less fortunate folks set up a system whereby we could donate meat for these folks?

abbyfireguy
04-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I used to hunt bears . Took a really nice looking cinnamon behind Whipsaw Creek about 23 years ago.( Oh the freedom to take off when ever you wanted before the invention of children:confused:)
That's the last bear I harvested during recreational hunting. Had to shoot one black a few years ago that was taking a liking to beef(after having the vet out three times the bear went on the hit list,CO approved of course:wink:)..
My family won't eat bear now so I just shoot them with the camera and video.
I also couldn't afford to get the rug done ,teenagers are too expensive..:???:
I have noticed a definate increase in bears in all areas we hunt,esspecially the 5-13,6-1,7-11 areas south of Vanderhoof 100 km or so...
You were lucky to see one or two a day and almost never a Grizz,now its 10-15 blacks a day and 2 or 3 Grizz on each trip.
Makes you keep you eyes open a bit more with more Grizz around and new teenaged beginner hunters in your care..
Unless pushed ,I don't think I'd shoot another black.

MichelD
04-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I hunt 'em for the meat only.

Chuck
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
No, I won't hunt to kill anything I and the family won't eat. One exception is perhaps an animal which has become a pestilence or a threat. Since we don't eat bear, I'd sooner pursue one with a camera.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I would still hunt them for sure. I love getting out in the spring.

Since I can't get out much in the fall, I have come to rely on black bear meat to get us through.
While bear roasts are not our favorite(since we prefer rare to med-rare meat), the burger is amazing neutral in flavour and very versatile.
Also, lately I have used bear meat in stir-fries and it has been a hit!

SSS

islandboy
04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Last two bears were better than prime beef. I would not waste the meat.:smile:

Mr. Dean
04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Last two bears were better than prime beef. I would not waste the meat.:smile:

AGREED!

Love them bear hunts. If the reg's were to change, I'd still be eating Bears. It would be nice to have the option though, in case of a 'bad' meat bear.

sawmill
04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I quit hunting bears after the meat law,I`ve seen some goddamn horrible critters that live in them.Thread worms crawling out of a roast I had just butchered was the end for me.:eek:I`d eat my dog first.I would like one last good one for a big tanned hide bed cover ,but not untill the law changes.

Cedarstrip
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
If I don't eat it I won't hunt it. Just a personal choice. Love watching them though!

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I'd still hunt them, regardless of the meat requirement. Honestly though, I rarely eat bear meat, simply because I only harvest big old mature boars. That said, the guy I sell my hides to, knows quite a few people who love it, so the meat still gets used.

It would be nice if more guys took up bear hunting, whether or not they eat the meat, because it would take some pressure off the CO's who have to deal with problem bears that get pushed into residential areas by more dominant bears.

RO

silvicon
04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
i am with river otter here. i am the only one in my group that eats bear meat. my girls will not look at it.
i only take older mature boars, so do my clients.
i have written several letters to the 'authorities' re. bear meat.
but the remf's wont to anythig about.

outdoorsman812
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I hunt black bears for the meat, usually the taste just as good as any other meat, but there is the odd one that isn't so good. Mostly they get ground into just burger. I used to tan my own hides, but havent for a few years. Blackies have always been my favourite animal to hunt!

BOOMSTICK
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Get out and hunt them regardless. If you don't eat it, donate it to someone who will or who needs it. Might take a little more work on your part, big deal. I take my 2 every year, and take out all the young fellers I know to get theirs as well. Those blacks are absolute hell on the moose calves in the spring.

Once again, get out and hunt bears!

browningboy
04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't hunt them as I don't eat it, I'd like to go shoot one but....if anyone wants some bear meat, I'll get one and you can have it, just pm me as I always seem to be the bear magnet anyhow.:lol:

BlacktailStalker
04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
I love black bear hunting, but I dont care for it unless its pepperoni.
The last bear I shot weighed 400lbs.
So I got 400lbs of bear minus bones made into pepperoni lol.
Needless to say I gave lots away to friends, but I wont shoot another one with a rifle just because it's too much undesirable meat for me.

I would however like to take one with my bow, a better than average bear (meaning 7' or darn close around here) and I'll continue to have fun hunting and stalking them until I find that one worthy of a rug and 500lb batch of pepperoni LOL !

Darren and I saw three bears in 30 minutes today looking for elk sheds actually, here's one lil guy that treed...
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/Bear111111002.jpg

bigwhiteys
04-25-2008, 07:39 PM
I enjoy bear hunting... I definitely don't enjoy the meat. I would prefer to take the hide/skull and leave the rest of the bear in the ecosystem where it lived. If someone spoke up for the meat I may bring some out...

But for now taking it home and then to the dump works too...

Carl

uraarchr
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
will there still be "edible portions"when my 45-70 is empty?havent shot anything w it yet ;so just wondering.

harder rd
04-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't hunt them as I don't eat it, I'd like to go shoot one but....if anyone wants some bear meat, I'll get one and you can have it, just pm me as I always seem to be the bear magnet anyhow.:lol:
I would take a clean spring bear. never have time to go out in the spring . I make a real good smoked kelbasa with bear meat,but not interested in a old dump bear.

browningboy
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I would take a clean spring bear. never have time to go out in the spring . I make a real good smoked kelbasa with bear meat,but not interested in a old dump bear.

PM sent, let me know and I'll get you one.

Gateholio
04-25-2008, 11:59 PM
This evening I was walking down the roa in town. A woman stopped me and said " Hey, you were the chef at the wildlife banquet a few weeks ago,right?"

I confirmed that yes I was.

She said "I've never eaten bear meat before, but damn your bear curry was the best thing I have ever had"

I've already heard that about a dozen times, but I thanked her.

The truth is, bears are what they eat. So if they eat alot of fish, they will taste like spawning salmon.. IF they don't they will taste better.

I've eaten some Island bears that were a wee bit fishy but with enough spice, they were fine, and I've eaten Island bears that were so fishy I gagged. I've also eaten mountian bears that tasted very good.

Steeleco
04-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Where's home? Smoked kelbasa, sharezies :wink::wink:

hunter1947
04-26-2008, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't hunt black bear if i dident have to keep the meat. Reason being is I have always been a firm believer that I shoot what I eat and thats what I have believed in all the years I have hunted. I have only shot 3 bears in 49 years of hunting ,the 3 I did shoot went to hunters that wear with me and I used my tag because they ask me to shoot it because they would eat the bear ,no wast. I always Carrie a black bear tag just incase I ever have to shoot one in self defence but have never had to use it because of that to this day.

kenkell1
04-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Nope, I wouldn't hunt bear if I didn't have to keep the meat...but then I don't hunt bear anyway.

steel_ram
04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Knowing that I have to take it home, has made me hesitant to shoot bears. If I split the critter open and it looks like a spaghetti factory, I'd like the option to kick it over the bank, returning the nutrients to the environment.

boxhitch
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
If I split the critter open and it looks like a spaghetti factory,But, does that still fall into 'edible portions' ?

Bears make a good practice round, for the critters I take more seriously.

sawmill
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Knowing that I have to take it home, has made me hesitant to shoot bears. If I split the critter open and it looks like a spaghetti factory, I'd like the option to kick it over the bank, returning the nutrients to the environment.

If you had to buy a tag for all the wild life that lives in bears it would cost more than an African Safari:biggrin:

happygilmore
04-27-2008, 08:53 AM
If you don't eat it all pass it along to someone who will. I just pass the word onto my family and friends I've got some extra deer, bear, moose from last year or there's way to many smokies help me eat them and poof my freezer is cleared up for next season.

steel_ram
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
But, does that still fall into 'edible portions' ?

Technically, even with all the critters in bear meat, it is usually consumable by humans, especially when cooked right, just like the critters you don't see in domestic meats etc. But with bears, they are often past their prime 'food value' years and those parasites are very abundant and visible. I envy those that can push that stuff to the side of the plate and carry on.

Back in the 80's when bear hunting on Van Isle took off, I had some problem with the common practise of booting the skinned carcass over the bank, but after getting into bear hunting and seeing how abundant they really are, and how there increase in population seemed to coralate with the decrease of deer, I had no problem with other cutting the population down a bit.