PDA

View Full Version : If one doesnt have dogs to hunt cougar, what does one do? Is it illegal to hire dogs

BiG Boar
04-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I have never even seen a cougar track in the wild, but I hear they are out there...somewhere. Anyone want me to be thier b*t@h on a cougar hunting trip? I would do whatever I can help with just to come along and get some experience. Just seems like one of the coolest animals ever to hunt.

hunter1947
04-25-2008, 03:54 AM
You can hirer dogs alright ,just find someone that has them and ask them to take you out after a cat.:wink:

sealevel
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
There is a cat hunter around that don`t use any dogs . He just tracks the cat in the snow hollering and beating some noise makers .He`s pretty succesful but he`s in dam good shape.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
As far as I know hiring dogs is classified as guiding. unless your going with an outfitter. I've had complaints about taking friends out. people have reported me for harvesting a problem cat with a friend of 20 years. Everything was legal but the CO's still wasted alot of my time and my buddies time. so you can see it is a touchy subject, alot of grey area.

browningboy
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Get an old pole cat to spray the hell out of you really good, make sure he gets you all over (cover eyes) and when you're nice and stinky, the odour will be like perfume to the cougars so when hiking afterwards, keep an eye out as they will come for you!

Gateholio
04-26-2008, 01:32 AM
The issue is compensation.

If you go out with some hound hunters, have a good time, etc, there is no issue.

If you compensate them in any way, they are de facto "guides" which would make things illegal.

I doubt sharing costs such as fuel, food etc would be considered compenastion, but cash sure would.