PDA

View Full Version : Osoyoos Lake fish?

oddsix
04-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Im heading out to Osoyoos lake for the first time and was wondering if any of you guys know what kind of fish there are and what are the odds of getting one off the shore.

thanks

OS

bighornbob
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
You can catch large mouth bass right from shore.

BHB

Wildfoot
04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
lots of bass, trout (brook and rainbow) and some other stuff. TONS of carp.

For bass go down to the beach near the fruit packing werehouse. It is just north of town about 2 mins. turn off the highway and drive until you reach the packing house. ask one of the orchardists for permission to cross their land to get to the beach. If you find a bunch of satanic crap on the ground - maybe even some dead animals... you are at the honey hole.

lots of guys fish off the bridge in town going to the hotels on the spit. just gotta pull your line out when a boat comes. ive seen some big trout get pulled onto that bridge.

also try vasseaux lake just north of osoyoos. great bass fishin from any of the roadside pullouts along the highway. BEWARE OF traffic when pulling in and out of those rest stops. people drive like idiots around that section of road.

Marmo+
04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
lots of bass, trout (brook and rainbow) and some other stuff. TONS of carp.

For bass go down to the beach near the fruit packing werehouse. It is just north of town about 2 mins. turn off the highway and drive until you reach the packing house. ask one of the orchardists for permission to cross their land to get to the beach. If you find a bunch of satanic crap on the ground - maybe even some dead animals... you are at the honey hole.

lots of guys fish off the bridge in town going to the hotels on the spit. just gotta pull your line out when a boat comes. ive seen some big trout get pulled onto that bridge.

also try vasseaux lake just north of osoyoos. great bass fishin from any of the roadside pullouts along the highway. BEWARE OF traffic when pulling in and out of those rest stops. people drive like idiots around that section of road.

The bass are satanists in osoyoos lake??? Good point mentioning the pullouts, they really are bad...2 votes for vaseaux!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
You can catch large mouth bass right from shore.

BHB

I believe they are "smallies" although I've never caught a bass down there.

SSS

Flinch
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Both Small and Largemout in Vaseaux, the smalls like rocky areas, large like weeds. Temps might be a bit cool yet , but always worth a try.

oddsix
04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow i had no idea there were bass in there. What would you guys use for getting those suckers onto the shore?

bighornbob
04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
If you feel like you are snagged set the hook hard and reel like hell. Do not play them or let them pull line out or anything like that. They will bury themselves into the biggest weed patch and a a warn winch wont get them out. Just reel until they are on shore.

For a basic bait use a large earth worm and some good weight and cast out as far as you can and just let it sit there for a minite or two before trying to reel in. The wiggling worm will get the fish striking if one is around.

The biggest bass I caught around Kelowna I was fishing with my nephew (his first time). So I bait my hook and give her a cast. Then I set the rod down and get his hook ready a couple of minites. When I tried to reel mine in it felt like I was snagged. There was no movement like I had a fish. I remembered what a guy told me once and set the hook hard, then I knew I had a fish on.

All the fishing shops down there have bass gear, like rubber worms, crank baits, weedless hooks and weights etc etc.

Have fun.

BHB

oddsix
04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Alright thanks BHB.

oddsix
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh, just one other thing:)

I will be on the u.s side. are the laws and all that the same?

Marmo+
04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Laws not the same. check the regs for US. You shouldn't need a license... i don't think...at least in oregon you don't.

Bass fishing near kelowna hey BHB? Shannon lake I bet....we have caught monsters in there. Ugly lake to fish though and youre right they just dog into the weeds as soon as they are hooked. half the time you pull up twice the fish's weight in weed if that happens. Havent fished bass for a while, might be fun to give it a go again some time.

oddsix
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
i have been looking all over for the regs for washington. but i cant find anything.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
You will need a license to fish in Washington. My co-worker used to go down and camp and fish across the line. It can be really busy on our side in the summertime and wide-open across the line.

SSS

Wildfoot
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
there is a nice fishing / hunting store in oroville, WA. its also a white water rafting place , right on the highway through town. If i recall correctly from last summer.. i think he said it was $15 for us to fish there. He has lots of good info for the area, and sells lisences. Just dont buy the cool blowdart kits he sells.. they are illegal in canada :roll:

I can post a pic of a fly that works great for the bass in those lakes.. Just a cork head with some feathers. kinda a frog pattern. deadly in vasseaux

Marmo+
04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
AH i forgot, if you like mexican food, go to Don Ernestos in oroville...it's great, or at least was last time I was there....might not even be there anymore.

oddsix
04-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Hmmm....thanks guys.

Wildfoot
04-24-2008, 05:27 PM
here are washington's fishing regs:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2007/2007sportregs.pdf

WARNING: It is a .PDF (adobe acrobat reader).. BIG AND SLOW!

A Yearly freshwater fishing lisence is cheaper in WA for us than our own BC ones!

oddsix
04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
thanks wildfoot

EvanG
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
tons of species, I ve caught bass, rainbows, whitefish, yellow pearch, carp, catfish, and even sunfish down in oroville, great public dock to fish off at the mouth of the river there.

oddsix
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Alright so im heading up this friday.
What would you guys use of the shore, and what would you use trolling. Im mostly interested in the trout but i have never caught a bass. So i would like give that a try to. Any info on bait would be great thanks

OS

slyfox
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
A black leech works real good if you have time try fishing some of the sloughs in the oliver area take number 22 road you cant miss the sloughs.

oddsix
04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Gota get me a black leach

pupper
04-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Ive caught; catfish, bass, whitefish, trout,turtles, and carp in that lake. Most of them on worms. Bacon a hook works as well.
My in laws have a place in the oroville on oyosoos lake so we go their quite often.

Marmo+
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
A black leech works real good if you have time try fishing some of the sloughs in the oliver area take number 22 road you cant miss the sloughs.

CHECK THE REGS.....

i think the oxbows are off limits now. We used to fish there a lot too, but I think its a no go now.

Calamity Jane
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that Don Ernestos may have changed their name... but for the life of me I can't think of what it is now... Still very popular - all the Osoyoos locals go down to it. If you stop in at the Osoyoos visitor centre the staff there will know the name for sure (last year this restaurant even listed in the Osoyoos tourist magazine)

bckev
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
If I remember right there are 37 different types of fish in Osoyoos lake. Some friends and I had derby one year based on catching the most varieties. Lots of fun

oddsix
04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
thanks again guys.

jackson13
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
There are no more fish in any of the places that have been described in this thread. Just kidding. Too cold for bass yet. Big rainbows in osoyoos lake...caught about a 6 pounder a couple of weeks ago trolling. Go to Canadian Tire and get an apex lure. 3 1/2 to 4 inch in black/white or green/silver/rainbow. Use some weight and troll around until you find them.

twoSevenO
05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
...caught about a 6 pounder a couple of weeks ago trolling.

I'll believe that when i see it ..... :roll:

pupper
05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
dont forget the guampa and bombilla to drink your mate!

Walksalot
05-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Small mouth bite in colder water and they like moving water. Had friends over for deep fried bass fillets last night. Yesterday I fished hard, caught one and then got blown off the lake. The time before I had my limit within an hour.