PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Workshops -

BCrams
04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
I believe there should be informative workshops of sorts for hunters new and old for those who wish to learn more about the animals in which they pursue.

Would you attend such workshops if they were put on with a collaborative and joint effort by the regional Ministry of Environment office, your local clubs, and the BCWF?

I am not talking about drawing X's on maps but provide information which will hopefully increase your success as a hunter. Especially for new hunters or even veteran hunters wishing to hunt new areas in a different part of the province.

Examples:

In many states where draw sheep hunts occur such as California for California bighorn sheep or Nevada for Desert Bighorn's. All successful persons drawn for the hunt are required to attend a mandatory information session. At these sessions, hunters are educated on the biology of the sheep, judging trophy sheep, and yes - including where these sheep populations are to ensure these hunters have a successful hunt and maps are provided of the draw areas. Perhaps this could be done for BC's LEH sheep permit areas? (Kamloops LEH sheep draw, Assiniboine bighorn permit, Salmo, Spatsizi Stone's sheep, Mt Edziza Stone's sheep, Fraser River sheep draws, Vaseaux, Crater Mtn area etc)

Workshops for elk, moose, mountain goat, sheep, mule deer and whitetail deer, bear hunting........

Landowner work shops: building positive land owner relationships (i.e., Peace River area - I am aware they have a program in place already, but why not take it a step further)

What I would like to know is: Would you participate if this was offered and available?

Gateholio
04-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I think it's a great idea.

Probably help new hunters as well as more experienced that wish to broaden thier horizons.:D

BigBanger
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I believe you are right and i would attend.This would be great for people who did not grow up around hunters.

ThinAir
04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I think it's a great idea. Any sort of hunting related education is time well spent. I think it would also be a good opportunity to teach our non hunting friends/family a thing or two. If people saw that hunters care about our resources- maybe they could gain a better understanding.

tufferthandug
04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I think workshops are great.

Actually there's a moose & elk calling workshop in Quesnel on June 24th at the Rec Center. I don't know the fellow doing it but I was thinking of going if I can make it. It's only 2 hours so I hope to take my boy.

I would probably go to workshops as far as Prince George if someone put them on.

buckguy
04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, the workshops would be very helpful for us newer hunters who didn't grow up withit. You can never be to informed, knowledge is power. Would be a great way to make new contacts.

daycort
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
hands down a great idea. I know there are a few people on here I would like to have a chat wiht about certain animals. Maybe some of the more informative HBC members could through a little something together for the other hunters that don't mind learning a little something extra.

srupp
04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
yup..I would go...

maybe get bcrams to do a sheep seminar????

Steven

islandboy
04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Great idea. I attended the IBEP bowhunter course and found it very informative.

rishu_pepper
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I would definitely go if they were offered. It'd really help newbies like me, who need all the help we can get :biggrin:

CanuckShooter
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
.""" All successful persons drawn for the hunt are required to attend a mandatory information session"""

If it's something that is mandatory I would say nix that idea !!! The last thing I would be interested in is sitting down for a two hour tutorial from some university educated bioligist that's never popped anything stronger than a wine cork.

BCrams
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM
.""" All successful persons drawn for the hunt are required to attend a mandatory information session"""

If it's something that is mandatory I would say nix that idea !!! The last thing I would be interested in is sitting down for a two hour tutorial from some university educated bioligist that's never popped anything stronger than a wine cork.

This has been very successful in the US for sheep permits to maximize the success of the hunter(s) who drew permits. Typically these permits are a once in a life time draw and many permit holders have no clue whatsoever about sheep. These information sessions are given by qualified persons who know the behaviour, habitat utilized, maps where the sheep populations are, and how to judge legal rams.

I am not saying this would apply to other species.

bighornbob
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM

The mandatory info sessions are usually for sheep. As they want you to shoot a certain age class and above sheep. You have to remember down there sheep hunting is usually once in a lifetime so when it comes to sheep hunting most hunters have never seen a sheep in the wild, so they get some good information.

BHB

bighornbob
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
This has been very successful in the US for sheep permits to maximize the success of the hunter(s) who drew permits. Typically these permits are a once in a life time draw and many permit holders have no clue whatsoever about sheep. These information sessions are given by qualified persons who know the behaviour, habitat utilized, maps where the sheep populations are, and how to judge legal rams.

I am not saying this would apply to other species.

I guess you type faster then me:tongue:

BHB

CanuckShooter
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
It's the MANDATORY part that I couldn't support, I could see some value for someone that was drawn for a species they were not familiar with. I already have to take mandatory firearms courses, boating courses, etc etc that are a huge pain in the arse....it's painful sitting there listening to someone trying to teach you something you've known already for years....for the sole purpose of what??????

BOOMSTICK
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Would be an excellent idea, knowledge is key. I'd assume that a good chunk of resident hunters are guys who have basic knowledge from the CORE, and have been plugging away on their own without an experienced teacher. Hard to learn by trial and error unless you spend a lot of time in the field.

Very good idea.

Krico
04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I think it's a great idea, whether for new hunters or for guys looking to get a head start trying out something new. A lot of guys I talk to say "I'd love to hunt for (insert species here) some day, but I have no idea where to start-location, gear, technique etc.

A lot can be learned by watching videos, reading etc. but workshops with a local element could only help. Anything to encourage people to get out there and increase their chance of success.

I've been hunting for 20 years and can think of a couple workshops I would sign up for...I'm always looking to try something new and exciting.

The ministry support (species information, herd location, field judging etc.) for certain out of the way tags such as the sheep ones you mentioned would also be a welcome addition I would think for anyone drawing the tag. Of course there will always be those who already know it all...:roll:

J_T
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Great idea. These are not only informative, but provide a great opportunity to listen to peers, tell stories, network and perhaps find new hunting partners.
From the bowhunting perspective a good example is the IBEP. All bowhunters should consider this course. 2 days, and most who take it say that it has enhanced their hunt.

kgriz
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I think that the time and money spent on something like this
"to increase the success of hunters" could more wisely be utilized on providing better access instead of decreasing it more and more, generalizing the mu's a little more so the average hunter doesn't need a degree in cartology and global positioning to make sure you're not over the wrong boundary, habitat enhancement and taking a close look at the overall goals and objectives of the regs when it comes to things like 4 or 6 point seasons when its probably just mature animals that are trying to be targeted. Why not shorter seasons with more wide open constraints, you'd sure need fewer enforcement people and studies and polls.....oh wait, I think I answered my own question:rolleyes:

hannibal
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I need the help! All seminar or workshop would be great for picking older hunter's tips and tricks. Calling, set up etc. great idea.

EvanG
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
The information part is great and I would deffinatly go, but as for giving away locations, i still feel half the fun is scouting and finding your spots.

MDG3
04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
I believe you are right and i would attend.This would be great for people who did not grow up around hunters.

I would fit in that category, and would be interested for sure. :-)

Kody94
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The mandatory info sessions are usually for sheep. As they want you to shoot a certain age class and above sheep. You have to remember down there sheep hunting is usually once in a lifetime so when it comes to sheep hunting most hunters have never seen a sheep in the wild, so they get some good information.

BHB

I think there should be mandatory info sessions for Grizzly draws, particularly in areas with low numbers of tags. Hunters need to understand the impact of shooting a sow, and what that does to the draw numbers in the following years.

Otherwise, I don't think any mandatory info sessions would be warranted.

I like the idea of hunting workshops. I would bet they would stand on their own financially speaking. Should be good for recruitment/retention.

Steeleco
04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I hang out at the best online workshop I could find!!! One in person would be fun too.

browningboy
04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
I voted no as I wouldn't have the time.
8-)

BiG Boar
04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I think hunting is easy. You see the big bear, look down at your tags, "yup, bear tag" and whack it! How hard could it be? (says the guy heading out for his first bear hunt this may)

BiG Boar
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I am getting a lot of information from this site, but I think Its because I ask so many questions though. However I know that experience can't be replaced with just asking questions, because when I am standing over a dead bear in May I will be thinking, hmmm, where is the internet right now? I dont know what to do! This bear is too big for me to lift, I should have brought something like a crane to lift it. Geez I sure hope that the pictures turn out good for HBC. Smile......click, now what?

tomahawk
04-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Great idea and would benefit everyone from beginner to crusty old hunters.

boxhitch
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
IRC in the Olden Daze, the main reason for groups to get together as Fish & Game , or Rod & Gun clubs was for association and social gatherings around the outdoor sports, with some learning and competition thrown in.
Lots of info exchange with fellow members.

Now, clubs are all too much about the politics. Most clubs have a poor active list. No wonder we are a dying breed.

hunter1947
04-25-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm all for it ,It sure would not hurt anything ,In fact it would help newer hunters in a big way.

dana
04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I would participate. I have buddies in the US that are avid sheep hunters working on their GrandSlams and they say when they get drawn and attend the sessons, they are indeed very informative, even for them. As for other species, I can think of numerous hunting celebs that make a living in the winter sesson doing 'how to' workshops. They are very very popular.

ohno
04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
It is a good idea, but should not be manditory.

I would love to learn more about specific species I hunt. I've read Long and Prothero and feel they both know their stuff, but what works for them in their areas may not be directly applicable to the areas I hunt. Books can only take you so far.

O.

Mr. Dean
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I went undecided; then read your opener.

If this was a Federation endorsed workshop, I would definately enroll, especially if the course covered species biology. I have found that learning this on specific species, has proven difficult.

CanuckShooter
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Well it looks like the majority is in favour of MANDATORY workshops for those that are successfully drawn in the LEH draws. But the next question is what would it cost to attend these MANDATORY sessions?? 50$/100$??? I am sure they wouldn't be free?? And the next question would be..if I took the Mule Deer Doe workshop last season do I have to take it again this season in order to hunt under the LEH that I was so lucky to draw??

Gosh golly gee, why stop at MANDATORY workshops for LEH draws, why not have it a requirement of buying your tags that you attend the appropriate MANDATORY workshop?? Afterall we are all too dumb to hunt without attending a MANDATORY workshop right??

BCrams
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Well it looks like the majority is in favour of MANDATORY workshops for those that are successfully drawn in the LEH draws. But the next question is what would it cost to attend these MANDATORY sessions?? 50$/100$??? I am sure they wouldn't be free?? And the next question would be..if I took the Mule Deer Doe workshop last season do I have to take it again this season in order to hunt under the LEH that I was so lucky to draw??

Gosh golly gee, why stop at MANDATORY workshops for LEH draws, why not have it a requirement of buying your tags that you attend the appropriate MANDATORY workshop?? Afterall we are all too dumb to hunt without attending a MANDATORY workshop right??

You're still not reading the posts or where mandatory applied from the example (i.e., sheep)

You're totally jumping the gun here and blowing this out of the water. (and looking like an idiot in the process)

CanuckShooter
04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
You're still not reading the posts or where mandatory applied from the example (i.e., sheep)
You're totally jumping the gun here and blowing this out of the water. (and looking like an idiot in the process)

All successful persons drawn for the hunt are required to attend a mandatory information session. At these sessions, hunters are educated on the biology of the sheep, judging trophy sheep, and yes - including where these sheep populations are to ensure these hunters have a successful hunt and maps are provided of the draw areas. Perhaps this could be done for BC's LEH sheep permit areas? (Kamloops LEH sheep draw, Assiniboine bighorn permit, Salmo, Spatsizi Stone's sheep, Mt Edziza Stone's sheep, Fraser River sheep draws, Vaseaux, Crater Mtn area etc)

Workshops for elk, moose, mountain goat, sheep, mule deer and whitetail deer, bear hunting........

I may be looking like an idiot to someone that isn't reading the original posting in its entirety. The EXAMPLE is clearly for a sheep draw...quickly followed by mentioning elk, moose, mountain goat etc....

If this question was put to you by the Ministry of Environment you have just spoken out in support of MANDATORY information sessions for all those hunts you have drawn the LEH for.....and if that's the case I'm not the one that's the idiot eh? LOL

kgriz
04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
canuckshooter, I couldn't agree with you more........ As a point of interest I looked up your profile and saw your residence and occupation, what a surprise. I expect that this all looks familiar to you with the push for EMS training etc. in our industry! Hey wouldn't it be a good idea to have mandatory workshops for EVERYTHING. I don't know about the mills but for my job we get hit with everything from ATV training to Bear Safety etc. Funny, been doing all right up til now. I can't think of a single thing that could be shown that one couldn't easily look up either on wildtv or via the internet. You want biology? Buy "Hooved animals of British Columbia" This book will give you all the biology you will ever need as well as accurate locations on the mammals of the province. You want X's on the map?!! Blow up the stone sheep maps from that book and transfer them into your rec atlas. Then highlight the sheep plentiful areas......Oh my god the "hardcore" sheep hunters around will be horrified to find that their honey-holes are exposed. Every time I have hunted these plentiful areas I have at least seen a legal sheep or lots close to it.
Workshops are not necessarily a bad thing in themselves, but MANDATORY workshops through the gov't with gov't speakers (assumed)...Theres enough gov't input these days in my opinion, including this site as well lately.

BCrams
04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
All successful persons drawn for the hunt are required to attend a mandatory information session. At these sessions, hunters are educated on the biology of the sheep, judging trophy sheep, and yes - including where these sheep populations are to ensure these hunters have a successful hunt and maps are provided of the draw areas. Perhaps this could be done for BC's LEH sheep permit areas? (Kamloops LEH sheep draw, Assiniboine bighorn permit, Salmo, Spatsizi Stone's sheep, Mt Edziza Stone's sheep, Fraser River sheep draws, Vaseaux, Crater Mtn area etc)

I may be looking like an idiot to someone that isn't reading the original posting in its entirety. The EXAMPLE is clearly for a sheep draw...quickly followed by mentioning elk, moose, mountain goat etc....

If this question was put to you by the Ministry of Environment you have just spoken out in support of MANDATORY information sessions for all those hunts you have drawn the LEH for.....and if that's the case I'm not the one that's the idiot eh? LOL

Sheep - indeed. And I don't think you would find many hunters complaining if they knew they were going to receive information, tips etc which could greatly enhance their odds of having a successful sheep hunt. This can also be very informative for those hunters who have not hunted sheep much. Often when people get drawn for the LEH permits, they are not being utilized because realize they have no clue where to start and look. For example, its a big investment for a hunter to pursue Spatsizi sheep or Tatshehini Sheep on the draw for someone down south who drew the permit. However, if they knew they had some ammunition in their pockets to help their hunt with the odds increased of potentially harvesting a ram, perhaps more hunters would go for it. Particularly when we are looking for ways to increase the resident harvest of sheep with the current allocation policy.

Moose, elk, deer etc are just general ... I made no mention of anything mandatory for those species. Again, I am sure these programs would be highly supportive if the poll is any indication. You could have a seasoned elk hunter in the Kootenays who decides he/she wants to do a big northern moose hunt one year. If they can obtain knowledge and information how to go about it and where to start looking / researching, I am sure many will take it up. Same goes for seasoned moose hunters up here who decide they would like to try elk hunting but have no clue where and how to start the hunt for them.

Education and knowledge gives the power to take things on.

Lil Buck
04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Sound good too me.In the states if you get drawn you have to go to "school" before you can go hunting....its a good thing .
\
BC Rams you are the poll master......

But what do I know

LB:cool:

kgriz
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Spatsizi and Tatsenshini, I couldn't think of 2 sillier places to send somebody who has not done much sheep hunting. First, the cost..It's going to take at least 18+ hours to get to the Tats from PG and when you get there you're going to find out how few white sheep are around compared to the hunting vids you've been watching from farther north. Sure they are there but not very many. Want to help out newbies there? Why not highlight where the access is, like the numerous old mining roads off the highway that one can get into good sheep area walking in 1 day? Or geez, would that be helping too much? The spatzizi? I think we saw a couple of years ago how that can go. I guess that problem was solved now with longer prep. times:roll:.
Excuse me for being pessimistic but I found out first hand how useful the maps provided by the gov't were for the buffalo areas....nice. 5 minutes on google earth ( which is free I might add ) produced a product that wasn't even comparible with no cost to the average tax-payer.

BCrams
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Spatsizi and Tatsenshini, I couldn't think of 2 sillier places to send somebody who has not done much sheep hunting. First, the cost..It's going to take at least 18+ hours to get to the Tats from PG and when you get there you're going to find out how few white sheep are around compared to the hunting vids you've been watching from farther north. Sure they are there but not very many. Want to help out newbies there? Why not highlight where the access is, like the numerous old mining roads off the highway that one can get into good sheep area walking in 1 day? Or geez, would that be helping too much? The spatzizi? I think we saw a couple of years ago how that can go. I guess that problem was solved now with longer prep. times:roll:.
Excuse me for being pessimistic but I found out first hand how useful the maps provided by the gov't were for the buffalo areas....nice. 5 minutes on google earth ( which is free I might add ) produced a product that wasn't even comparible with no cost to the average tax-payer.

Kozak ..... obviously there are going to be dudes like you out there who won't ever want to bother with a general workshop and thats ok!

However with sheep, yes indeed, access maps, trails etc ...

Who says it has to be just for new sheep hunters? I am sure there are many veteran Kootenay bighorn hunters who would be glad to attend to obtain as much info on the area as he / she can.

As for the buffalo info. Some of it was helpful and the maps were shitty. Which is why I believe with the right individuals, a much better product can be had. I believe there are many hunters out there who would gladly accept information without having to do all the research themselves. That said, there will be people like you who prefer to do it themselves.

kgriz
04-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Upon further thought on this subject I have decided that I dislike the "mandatory" workshop idea so much that I will make the general statement that anybody new that needs help for sheep areas, maps etc. is more than welcome to PM me. I might be able to help you out, if I haven't personally been there, I prob. have talked to somebody who has and as long as it wasn't told to me in confidence ( very few examples) I could help you out. I have also flown most of the good areas via chopper or plane and might have some good info for your area of interest. At the very least I can help you with where to get GOOD maps and airphotos.

If you try to contact me, be patient as I usually work out of town and am home sporadically. You will quickly find out that I hate the "secret, secret" crap of sheep hunting and am more than happy to give out info that will really help for specifics not help just "kind of" general stuff. I have sent people airphotos with access, sightings etc. in the past and will be happy to help into the future as long as it does not become too onerous or people just get lazy.
I do not profess to be a sheep hunting expert by any stretch of the imagination but maps, access and general knowlege of the northern half of this province are certainly included in my job description.

BCrams
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Why don't you ask Bighornbob his opinion about the Tatshehini hunt. Ask him if he thinks if there was a information session whether he thinks it would have benefited his hunt.

I understand he's a season'd bighorn hunter who has taken and been part of hunts where big rams were taken.

kgriz
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
perhaps I was unclear and a bit forceful for which I apologize:-P. Workshops are good. I don't think that Mandatory Workshops sponsored by gov't are required. If more people that hunted sheep would simply share info with new guys instead of being in hunting cliques, success rates would probably rise substantially. As for gov't, I rarely have any problem with specific people, just broad ideas and directives and that's what these polls suggest to me. To my pessimistic eye the question polled does not read " Do you want workshops etc" It reads " Do you want more political influence on your hobby that is already mostly directed by politics and agendas"

Chuck
04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Anything that is of benefit to the land (including air, water etc.) and the creatures that live there that mankind can do is GOOD. I think it is our duty to care for our home, don't you?

bc sportsman
04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Education is great. I have a bit of a problem with mandatory sessions. However, I can't believe that anyone who is investing the time, cash and effort to seriously hunt sheep would pass up a well prepared and informative presentation on the area they plan to hunt unless they have already 'been there and done that'.

In my case, I haven't as far as sheep are concerned so I'd gladly take any training/course/info to improve the hunting experience (whether it be successful or not).

horshur
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
perhaps I was unclear and a bit forceful for which I apologize:-P. Workshops are good. I don't think that Mandatory Workshops sponsored by gov't are required. If more people that hunted sheep would simply share info with new guys instead of being in hunting cliques, success rates would probably rise substantially. As for gov't, I rarely have any problem with specific people, just broad ideas and directives and that's what these polls suggest to me. To my pessimistic eye the question polled does not read " Do you want workshops etc" It reads " Do you want more political influence on your hobby that is already mostly directed by politics and agendas"

Governments Are Like Beating A Dead Horse

The tribal wisdom of the Lakota (Sioux) Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

However, government bureaucracies often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

4. Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride dead horses.

5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.

6. Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.

7. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.

8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.

9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse's performance.

10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.

11. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.

12. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.

13. Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse."

14. Waiting for the horse's condition to improve from this temporary downturn.

15. Providing additional training to increase riding ability.

16. Passing legislation declaring "This horse is not dead."

17. Blaming the horse's parents.

18. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

19. Commissioning a study to see if private contractors can ride it cheaper.

20. Removing all obstacles in the dead horse's path.

21. Taking bids for a state-of-the art dead horse.

22. Start a marketing campaign declaring the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

23. Revising the performance requirements for horses.

24. Saying the horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

25. Create a task force to make the horse alive.

26. Establish a turnaround plan including the use of dead horses to achieve cost cutting targets.

27. Hire a consultant to look for a new use of a dead horse.

28. Invest in new software that makes dead horses ride faster.

29. Create a new cost center for dead horses

30. Raising taxes (any excuse will do).

And if all else fails:

31. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

An old Indian chief sat in his hut on the reservation, smoking a ceremonial pipe and eyeing two US government officials sent to interview him. "Chief Two Eagles," asked one official, "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his material wealth. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The chief nodded in agreement. The official continued, "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The chief stared at the government officials for over a minute and then calmly replied, "When white man found the land, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, women did all the work, medicine man free, Indian man spent all day hunting and fishing, all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled, "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

kishman
04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I would definitely go if they were offered. It'd really help newbies like me, who need all the help we can get :biggrin:

x2 on this one, I`d go out for this for sure.

houndogger
04-27-2008, 09:26 AM
I think work shops on sheep and grizz would be a good think. Also sexing goat and cougars wouldn't hurt. Volentary would be my vote.

pmj
04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes I would take part in a work shop. I am thinking of doing one at work with the 1/2 dozen guys at work who hunt. I was going to share the info from the Gatehouse Ask LEH quetions thread. Each spring I grab a dozen LEH books when they come out and give them to guys who are hunters so they get them asap. They are already asking me when do they come out. There seems to be too many rules and not enough time to understand them. Never mind how to hunt particular species.

1/2 slam
04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I would support this not only for LEH sheep hunts but all sheep hunts. Just look at the numbers of illegal kills in Spences bridge.

Benthos
04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
information sessions are great, but who is going to put them on? the ministry? BCWF?

If it was the Ministry's responsibility, I'd say forget it. They are already short-staffed enough, I'd rather see any additional resources go into the current programs than spread things even thinner.

If the information sessions were put on by volunteers, or were paid for by those wishing to attend (not mandatory), i'd be in favour of that

tikkat3
04-29-2008, 08:38 PM

you're talking about me! I would totally go to one of these

moosinaround
04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I voted yes. It would have to be a structured format with some good material presented in a very organized way. Getting OFF TOPIC with this group could turn a 1/2 day session into a two week course!! LOL :biggrin: Moosin