PDA

View Full Version : Tuff-Line XP Green-Yellow (Knot techniques)

Ramshot
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
This question is posed to any Sturgeon fishermen who use the Tuff-Line XP 80-100lbs test. Or to anyone who uses this line also. What knots are you using? I had four or five break-offs using the Tuff-line XP Green 80 & 100lbs test last year? I'm thinking it was my Knot. One fella told me to use a polymer knot. I used the tuff-line yellow 80lbs and landed some huge sturgeon without a break-off. Any suggestions or experiences would be great. Thanks. Ramshot.

islandboy
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I have never fished sturgeon, but here is a link to an animated fishing knot site:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Dannybuoy
04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I always just use the improved fishermans knot ... the only difference is with the braided line i was told to double the line before tying the knot .
It seems to work fine ( no breaks) I have been using the #50 braided .

sbtennex
04-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Palomar knot - loops around the shank. We use it for any braid for halibut - haven't had it slip ever, just gets tighter.

Leaseman
04-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Ramshot....

I sturgeon fish lots...use the 100LB...where are you getting the breaks? At the hook or swivel?

Mike

Ramshot
04-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Ramshot....

I sturgeon fish lots...use the 100LB...where are you getting the breaks? At the hook or swivel?

Mike

At the swivel! Do you use the Tuf-line XP? My cousin is going to Cabela's in Washington before he comes to BC in a couple weeks and is bringing me a 600yd spool of Tuf-line XP in 130lbs test? Sure is cheaper down there! I was getting the breaks with XP Green in 80lbs and 100lbs test. Was using a double fisherman knot? Will use the polamar knot for sure this season:wink:. Thanks. Ramshot.

Jetboater
04-24-2008, 08:17 AM
no matter what you do, go through the swivel eyelet twice... are you breaking them off on the hook set? braided lines have a very low impact breaking strength... you brake it with your hands very easily... I run 130 XP and love it with 250LB leader... I also fish 2 rods with 150 Fireline.... I have been using the new dacron downrigger cable for leader... as it dos ot cut fish up as they roll around on it... and it handles the rocks well in the canyon...

Mr. Dean
04-24-2008, 09:04 AM
A buddy of mine bought a big spool for Hali fishing. Its thinner than the old tuffline but man, is it ever slippery!

We sat in the bottom of his tolly for HOURS one night , testing knot after knot after....., while trying to see the bottom of a bottle. The twice through the eye Palomar, is about as good as it gets. For joining two pieces together, we found a variation of a blood knot too be best. Can't recall which variation it was though (?). The problem we were having was that the knot would cut on itself, when stress was applied, or just slipped apart.

I had enough fartin' around with it that night, that I stuck too the old tried-n-true white stuff. The gain of the thinner diameter, just didn't seem worth it. But I'm sure that sturgeon fishing has different demands than that of hali fishing....

Oh, that night aboard my bud's boat, we did see our way to the bottom of that bottle. As well as several beer cans - It was an arduous testing session. :lol: ;-)

LOVE that fish'n!

Ramshot
04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
A buddy of mine bought a big spool for Hali fishing. Its thinner than the old tuffline but man, is it ever slippery!

We sat in the bottom of his tolly for HOURS one night , testing knot after knot after....., while trying to see the bottom of a bottle. The twice through the eye Palomar, is about as good as it gets. For joining two pieces together, we found a variation of a blood knot too be best. Can't recall which variation it was though (?). The problem we were having was that the knot would cut on itself, when stress was applied, or just slipped apart.

I had enough fartin' around with it that night, that I stuck too the old tried-n-true white stuff. The gain of the thinner diameter, just didn't seem worth it. But I'm sure that sturgeon fishing has different demands than that of hali fishing....

Oh, that night aboard my bud's boat, we did see our way to the bottom of that bottle. As well as several beer cans - It was an arduous testing session. :lol: ;-)

LOVE that fish'n!

Been there before Mr.Dean, love those ardous fishing line seminars:smile:. Will for sure go with the double palomar knot. I think my problem with using the fisherman knot with the XP tuf-line was it did cut through itself! Will give it a try and hopefully report results. RAMSHOT.

srupp
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
ramshot..do the doublepalomer knott..WITH a dab of crazy glue or "zap-a-gap"....250 # plus sturgon no problem..well the guy Leaseman was a bit OF A PROBLEM CHILD HOWEVER THE KNOTT HELD..

Steven

Dannybuoy
04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Been there before Mr.Dean, love those ardous fishing line seminars:smile:. Will for sure go with the double palomar knot. I think my problem with using the fisherman knot with the XP tuf-line was it did cut through itself! Will give it a try and hopefully report results. RAMSHOT.
Do you wet the line (spit) before you tighten the knot ? thats the only time I have had the line cut its self and that was on thinner mono line
I am going to be trying out that palomar knot though

Deerwhacker
04-27-2008, 03:52 PM
triple palamar knot (a doubled up clinch knot) , if you look on the tuffline xp box there is instructions on tyeing it as it is the recomended knot to use for any thick braided line, i bend 9 ott hooks on fish befour the knots or leaders break.
So pretty much double up your leader, thread the end through the swivel , pinch about 2" down from the doubled up end to 1 1/2" up the part of your doubled up leader that had not been threaded throguh the swivel , wrap the doubled up end 4 times in the direction of the swivel , pull doubled end through the hole between your doubled up line and then tighten , the knot should look thick and tapered with a small loop tag end.

HuntNHookSports
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Try the Berkley braid knot. It is difficult to tie but probably the best knot for any diameter braid.