PDA

View Full Version : Binocuars...what to get?

Shermdog
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi guys, I am in the market for a nice pair of binoculars for this upcoming deer season. I dont want any cheap junk that I will regret buying, but at the same time top of the line Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars are out of the price range. I am willing to spend probably up to the $300 mark, give or take depending on the situation. Please let me know what you all would recommend, past great experiences and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!!

hunter1947
04-23-2008, 03:37 AM
I have a friend that has a set of Swarovski that are 10x42 $2,000.00 dollars. I have a set of 10x42 Leupold cascades $500.00. When I look through the two of them my Leupolds look the same as looking through his ,I can't tell the difference between the two.

Hot Shoe
04-23-2008, 06:04 AM
If you don't want to spend the big coin, look into the Nikon and Pentax lines, quality glass for the money. If possible kick in a few extra bucks for the waterproof models.

chola
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I have a friend that has a set of Swarovski that are 10x42 $2,000.00 dollars. I have a set of 10x42 Leupold cascades $500.00. When I look through the two of them my Leupolds look the same as looking through his ,I can't tell the difference between the two.
I have a buddy that has Swaros as well.I noticed the same thing..mind you,this was at the range looking out to 300 meters in mid day sunlight..but irregardless,I could not see the difference...I have the Leupold pinnacles and the cascades..both are great "budget" binos for the price

Fisher-Dude
04-23-2008, 08:01 AM

http://www.downhomeshow.ca/images/bubbles_small.jpg

chola
04-23-2008, 08:05 AM
LOL.......exactly

one-shot-wonder
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM

I beg to differ......

I own the cascades as well, and there is a difference albeit marginal. The comparison is apples to oranges. However, I am impressed with my Cascades for the clarity and they are nice & compact. Pick em up in the states if you can they are cheaper!

Dirty
04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
You get what you pay for in optics. Put this into perspective: I was hunting and 3 of the guys I was with could see 6 elk bedded down up a valley about 1 km'ish away. I kept looking and looking through my $400 bushnell binos and could see nothing. I then looked through one guy's Zeiss binos and to my amazement there they were. Case in point, until you get into a situation where you can really compare binoculars, you will never know the difference.

Steeleco
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Whichever way you go, look up binoculars Canada on the web. Great service and best prices when I was shopping a while back,

rishu_pepper
04-23-2008, 08:31 AM
If you don't want to spend the big coin, look into the Nikon and Pentax lines, quality glass for the money. If possible kick in a few extra bucks for the waterproof models.

+1 for Nikon. I own a pair of Nikon Monarchs from Cameralandny (great site to deal with!), $200 with change. It's no Swaro but it's comparable to many $500~ binos. :-)

Steeleco
04-23-2008, 08:42 AM
As advised already, save as much as you can and get "waterproof" from the get go. You may never need another pair??

sillybear
04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
With binoculars as with many things in life, you get what you pay for. Most binoculars will look good in bright daylight in open conditions. Compare binocs after dusk looking across an opening into trees and in the shadows. The difference between cheep, mid range, and expensive glass will be dramatic. Always fun to shop and compare. Buy the best you can afford.
Good Luck, Sillybear

Nechako Outdoors
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
best binoculars in the $300 range would be the Bushnell Excursion EX ($269) or the Leupold Cascades ($369)

brotherjack
04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I am willing to spend probably up to the $300 mark, give or take depending on the situation. Please let me know what you all would recommend, past great experiences and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!!

You want a set of Nikon Monarch's (8x42 is my preference). They are the best $300-ish bino's on the market.

twoSevenO
04-23-2008, 10:10 AM
I have also been looking at some new Binos. I like the price of the Nikon Monarch's (ATB i think?) and they're also around 300, but debating between the 10x42 and 8x42. I know the 10x will be a little shaky out of hadn, but do you think i'll regret not getting the extra bit of magnification later down the road???

srupp
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
hmmmm YIPPPEEEEE lol..

You "usually " get what ya pay for and the binos and spotting scope are divided into 2 groups...top end$$$$$$$$$$$$ and economy..

I know that after many many years of spotting that I have done far more looking than shooting and ya can not shoot what ya cant find and see..;-)

USUALLY there are several optics in the economy selection that will be simmilar in optics...GET THE WATERPROOF ONES...

sAME goes for top end $$$$ stuff I personally could see no difference between the Swaronvski HD and the Leupold HD in many of the situations I compared..

That being said I looked at binos...and did compare the Swaros and the Baush and Laumb ELITE 8 X 43 and I could see no difference in bright-low- shadows......

Steven

Vader
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Color correction has much to do with choosing binos. Quality of lens will dictate this.. as stated the difference between a swaro/leica and low end bushnell or other bino is seeing or not seeing game.
I myself chose a Nikon monarch in 8X42 and regret not going with the 10X42. I opted for more light gathering over magnification and that was a mistake I think. I had a couple of opportunities fade last year because I couldn't identify 6 points on the elk. In this day and age trying to find that 1 inch point at 350 yards is a bit of a stretch with 8X. May not have even made it out with 10's but at least I would have had them to try.
Even better yet in my mind now would have been a set of Vortex Razors in 10X42. A quality binocular with decent warranty.

Bow Walker
04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi guys, I am in the market for a nice pair of binoculars for this upcoming deer season. I dont want any cheap junk that I will regret buying, but at the same time top of the line Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars are out of the price range. I am willing to spend probably up to the $300 mark, give or take depending on the situation. Please let me know what you all would recommend, past great experiences and all that stuff. Thanks in advance!!
Don't buy anything until you have at least given the Vortex line a trial "look-see"....do yourself a favor.

martyonthewater
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
don't be afraid to check out the pawn shops in your area as well, crackheads have been providing quality optics at reasonable prices for years now and you can usually dicker on price, just be aware of general retail prices of a basic selection and shop them out. If you find something that interests you, make note of the make and model then let the intraweb find you its specs, features, etc..

BlacktailStalker
04-23-2008, 10:27 PM
crackheads have been providing quality optics at reasonable prices for years now

Lol I guess they're good for something after all.

rishu_pepper
04-24-2008, 07:30 AM
crackheads have been providing quality optics at reasonable prices for years now

Lol I guess they're good for something after all.

I actually LOLed and spat out my breakfast sandwich onto the monitor when I read this :lol:

LOC
04-24-2008, 07:53 AM
best binoculars in the $300 range would be the Bushnell Excursion EX ($269) or the Leupold Cascades ($369)

I have a pair of the Excursions, and I like them so far. They are WAY better than the cheaper bushnells I had, but I haven't had a chance to compare them to anything higher up the ladder.

All the reviews have been good on them too...

browningboy
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
I have a set of Baush and Laumb's (new in 2004?) and were around 500ish and they are great, waterproof etc. and crystal clear and I would recomend them but not sure if bausch & Laumb even make anything anymore? I think they just make a cheap version that's named bushnell.
(Not knocking bushnell)