PDA

View Full Version : Still too much Snow

BearSniper
04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Still too much snow to head out for Grizzlies.:???:

A check of the weather in north Region 4 shows -11c at night, and flurries in the day with a high of -1c or +2c.

That means too much snow in the hills, and then in a few weeks, too much danger of washouts and avalanches.

Not good for Bears.
When will this winter end ? :confused:

todbartell
04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I got my hunt planned for 3 weeks from now..:(

04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
If you guys are going into northern region 4 be aware that the S-Road on the west side of Kinbasket to Gold River/Bachelor Creek has been washed out since last summer. If you want into 4-37 a boat is the only option.

The big Bend side should be open well past Bush River already, but there's likely few if any bears out up there yet, still heavy snow pack.

kgriz
04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Too much snow, too much snow...........
Don't let too much snow fool you, the big boars will come out regardless, they've had a long winter and will be right out of fat reserves soon. There might be too much snow to get to them but they'll be out if you're ambitious. I talked to a guy in region 4 that saw 5 in the back-country in a couple of days and there is plenty of snow there. Have seem lots of griz on snow-free mountain tops from a helicopter this time of year with not a hint of green for 50km.

PM me if you want details on the location for where that guy was spotting.:grin:

bushguy
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
they will be out,access will suck,,take your snowshoes,:cool:

Brambles
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
we got hit by a snowstorm the other day, 3-6 inches in town depending on elevation. I imagine it would be worse in the mountains.

Snowing on and off today.

Good luck guys.

boonerbuck
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm wondering about my area on the east side of Babine Lake. I know the bears will be out but of the roads are screwed I have a problem. It will be the first time I'm in this location and it is a BIG AREA.

Beardy
04-24-2008, 06:03 PM
We should keep this thread going on all areas... does anyone know anything of the conditions in 7-38?

BearSniper
04-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks fellas

Its hard to figure out.:-(

I looked on the B.C. Highways webcam at Field B.C. The snow has steadily receded in the last week showing the whole grassy area. Field is 3900' feet asl. No doubt melting is advancing at that altitude.

Mica lake is 1900' feet asl, and the north of 4-38 can be about 2500' to 3300' feet asl on the forestry roads. Mica creek continues to get cold temps and some snow. But , one can assume some melting is going on.

I know this isn't scientific, but apart from getting up there in a helicopter
and looking, its a bit of a guessing game. I can't afford a chopper ride to scout.

I can't even get far on the Silver lake road by Hope for Blackies due to snow.

So, the next few days-weeks will be interesting. Will have to watch the weather each day.:frown:

Buckman
04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Here in the east kootenays it is still cold. I talked to a guy from Sparwood this morning and he said he had 2 inches of snow on his deck, and I talked to a guide outfitter up the skookumchuck way and he said he is 3 weeks behind in getting into his camp. I am tired of winter.

dave_fras
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
wayyy too much snow!

RiverOtter
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I had originally figured we were about a week behind last year, but after the new snow and low temps of the past week, we are in the realm of 2-3 weeks easy. Heck, I can't even drive to where I seen my first bear last year(April 23) and he was eating on short grass at that time.

Woke up to pouring rain this morning and a snow level that is only about 100m above my house. Global warming my asss.

RO

GoatGuy
04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
The bears will be out and these slow melts make the hunting even better. If you can find one patch of grass you'll be into bears. We'll be heading up next week and I'm sure there will be bears out just a matter of finding a patch of dirt. Sometimes it's in the swamps near the rivers other times you can find one or two patches on the slides.

Makes for long days on the snowshoes but it also makes for good hunting.

GoatGuy
04-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Picture taken third week of April 05. Had been hunting since the 10th of April and the bears were already out (blacks included) - only a couple patches that weren't covered in snow. 10 kms on snowshoes to get in there. Nobody showed up there until May long and they still figured the bears still weren't out! :sad:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_2526.JPG

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Got that Calvin?? Make sure you've got you snowshoes lined up. I've got dibs on Lorenzo's again:grin:. You'd better talk to Snow Shoe Steve!

I was up in Beer Belly's former haunt today and I was amazed at the amount of snow still hanging around. Managed to keep the TW's tires on the ground:roll:. As GG said....find some green and there will be bears all over it.

SSS

GoatGuy
04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I was up in Beer Belly's former haunt today and I was amazed at the amount of snow still hanging around. Managed to keep the TW's tires on the ground:roll:. As GG said....find some green and there will be bears all over it.

SSS

How many bears did you see?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Not a green patch to be found(at least as far as my eyes could see). No bears...just a few mulies. They should be there in less than a week. Didn't stay long as I was just up there looking for a glove I dropped on Wed. On Wed I had a hard time glassing through a blizzard that moved through:?.

SSS

boxhitch
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
SSS, maybe have to check the hayfield at the bottom end, to see if new tracks show up ? Maybe HE has headed downhill already ?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I headed up there tonight and got to the "usual" glassing spot. At first I could see bear tracks on the snow patches so I figured I would see some bears. About "bear-o-clock" (as BHB would say) I spotted a med-sized cinnamon(a familiar face), followed by the two long-faced billies. About 15 mins later I saw a good-sized black phase sunning himself and chewing on some old deer bones. He just layed there chewing like a dog for almost an hour. Funny....I saw a bear last year chewing on the same set of bones(can't remember if it was the same bear or not?). I'm pretty sure he was the same bruin I just about ran into on the final stalk on Beer Belly. He's a "good" bear for sure but maybe a "great" bear in a couple of years(video cam is still doubling as a maraca:-().....needs to fill out some more in the front end.

It was a nice evening to just be out there:-)!

SSS

boxhitch
04-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Sounds like he's after a dose of calcium. better old bones than new.

hunter1947
04-27-2008, 04:34 AM
I headed back up into an area not far from where I lived ,there was to much snow ,had to settle for a lower elevation to work on.

GoatGuy
04-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I headed up there tonight and got to the "usual" glassing spot. At first I could see bear tracks on the snow patches so I figured I would see some bears. About "bear-o-clock" (as BHB would say) I spotted a med-sized cinnamon(a familiar face), followed by the two long-faced billies. About 15 mins later I saw a good-sized black phase sunning himself and chewing on some old deer bones. He just layed there chewing like a dog for almost an hour. Funny....I saw a bear last year chewing on the same set of bones(can't remember if it was the same bear or not?). I'm pretty sure he was the same bruin I just about ran into on the final stalk on Beer Belly. He's a "good" bear for sure but maybe a "great" bear in a couple of years(video cam is still doubling as a maraca:-().....needs to fill out some more in the front end.

It was a nice evening to just be out there:-)!

SSS

Good deal - should get the stick and string out there and put the hurt on 'em.