PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack area fishing

troutseeker
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be taking a course in Chilliwack, I'll be there for two weeks starting next week. I'd like to get some trout fishing while I'm there, more specifically some stream fishing.

Any hints on where a guy can cast a fly in moving water in the area?

Thanks, Troutseeker

Dirty
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Vedder is winding down for Steelhead and becomes fly only on May 1. There really isn't too many good rivers/creeks for trout fishing in the Lower Mainland.

troutseeker
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
How about sea-run cutties? Isn't the Harrison supposed to be good for that?

Marmo+
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Vedder is winding down for Steelhead and becomes fly only on May 1. There really isn't too many good rivers/creeks for trout fishing in the Lower Mainland.

????

Harrison
Chehalis
Pitt
Stave
Squamish
Vedder
SKAGIT
Cheakamus
the list goes on.....

come on man.....that is absurd...we have excellent trout fishing here. Searun cutthroat fishing is really good right now with fry patterns. REALLY good. I got 3 18 inch fish (yes, taped) last month and this month the action should be even better (haven't had a chance to go out). Bull trout fishing is good all year round in some systems and you can catch 5lb'ers without too much difficulty if you put a little time in. The lake fishing is poor because the waters are nutrient poor (but there are a few hidden gems).....but the rivers can be dynamite. You just have to explore a bit and you will find that we have amazing fishing here....not small fish either.

The harrison is ok but has declined in recent years for searun cutties. You could still try it out...i'd recommend (for ease of access) near the harrison river bridge (you can park nearby) or take the road down to kilby and try around the train bridge. Can be good there. Searun cutty fishing is about putting the time in though and finding some good spots so I can't really share much more than that.....ah actually you could try various fraser sloughs too. Mariah has some big fish I've been told ;)

If i was spending a short amount of time I'd head to the chilliwack river with some pink worms for some steelhead. Good chance of getting one. If youre using flies you could always toss some bunny strips or something too. They may even take minnow patterns now as the fry are out.

Dirty
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Harrison is a tough go for cutties, especially for somebody that is not a local. Vedder is absolute shite for trout (unless you call hatchery smolts a trout). Stave is mediocre. Pitt would be good if he wants to shell out $600 for a guide. Chehalis is shite for trout. Can't speak for Cheakamus and Squamish but they are a little out of the way from Chilliwack. I was just trying to give the guy an honest opinion. The Skagit River does not open until July 1st! If you are serious about getting in to some fish see if you can get a guide to take you up the Pitt for Bulls. IMHO for the amount of creeks and rivers in the Lower Mainland the trout fishing is not that productive.

Marmo+
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Harrison is just about the EASIEST access to reasonable cutty fishing we have down here for people that dont regularly fish. Some of the best fishing on the harrison is within walking distance from the bridge.
Chehalis has numerous 16+ inch trout in it, bulls, bows and resident cutties. But hey, if you think its shite, by all means, stay away. I have yet to NOT catch a good trout on the chehalis on an outing....and I'm using flies too.

Skagit is closed...i was just pointing out that it is an amazing river.

All i can say to you dirty is you need to do some exploring. You will find much better fishing than you are currently experiencing.

If you're set on searun fishing and in chilliwack you could actually try a few of the nearby sloughs as well. Just takes some looking, but when you find them, this time of year there are some big pigs mixed in there.

Dirty
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
The Harrison may be easy access but success is very limited for cutties. Notice how I said that there isn't too many good rivers for trout in the Lower Mainland. I would not consider the Skagit in the Lower Mainland. I would also not consider the Pitt River a viable option for most people. I was just trying to give an honest opinion of fly fishing in the Chilliwack area. There is a big difference between wetting a line and catching fish. It sounds like you are an excellent fly fisherman Marmot. You sound very knowledgeable. Maybe me and Troutseeker could hook up with you and go out fishing. I would really be interested in learning from an expert. Especially if you can guarantee a fish on the Chehalis :biggrin:.

Jimsue
04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
We have a creek on our property, yesterday my son pulled out what looked like a very big trout like fish, I'm not a fish guy so I don't know.
Would it have been a cutty? 20" plus. kinda looked like a rainbow.
Question are they legal to catch.
He was over the moon, we took pictures, got it back on it's feet and set it off on its way.
We live in the Langley area.

Dirty
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Probably a steelhead. There a numerous rivers in Langley that still return steelhead.

Marmo+
04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
2 votes for steely.
I'd still recommend the harrison. This time of year it can be productive, even though it has been slower.
Dirty I don't think anyone can be an "expert" when it comes to fishing...I know it was tongue in cheek anyways. I get out alot. I try to go every weekend and sometimes during the week when i can...there is a lot to learn on the rivers down here and I'm just scratching the surface. That said, the fact that I'm catching fish tells me (as a NON expert) that there are plenty of good sized fish to be had. If you want to get fish on the chehalis you have to get up into the canyon. Thats where we get all our trout. If the skagit is not LML, where is it???

troutseeker
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys, now I have an idea of where to go. See another bunch of people who tell me where to go, at lest you did not tell me what to d owhen I get there, I get that a lot...

I'll try the Harrison and some of the others too. If succesful I'll submit a report with pictures...

TS

Dirty
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
The Skagit River is not in the Lower Mainland. It is past Hope and after Hope is not considered the Lower Mainland anymore. Sorry Marmot. You must have difficulty back casting in the canyon on the Chehalis :roll:. If you want good information Troutseeker, head to Reaction Fly and Tackle at Whatcom Road Exit on Highway 1. They are 10 minutes West of Chilliwack. They will give you valuable information about where is worthwhile to fish.

Marmo+
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey dirty, the skagit is in the lower mainland section of the backroads mapbooks, maybe you should clarify that for them too :) Its semantics though, the skagit is closer to chilliwack than vancouver is...anyways, he's not going there since it will be closed. Good call about going to reaction ....Daryll is the guy to talk to there, he's very forthcoming with info and will be happy to share.

Dirty, I'd suggest to you if you flyfish that you should try some of the other areas of the canyon other than those near the campsite. Further up are more fly friendly areas. Trust me!!!! Besides, you don't need a backcast, you can roll or do a single handed ver. of a spey cast if you are feeling fancy. Plenty of great fly water.

Harrison is a good choice :) Even if you don't get into fish it's a beautiful river. Have fun if you hit the sloughs too. Some of them on the chilliwack side are nice around island 22.

troutseeker
05-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm back and I had some success. Fished the Vedder and caught a few cutties and rolled one Steelie. She did not come back to the fly...

Chehalis was nice, a little high and muddy when I wnet but still managed to get a couple!

Thanks for the info guys.

Troutseeker