PDA

View Full Version : Guide Outfitter Influence -

BCrams
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
In your opinion, who has greatest influence on wildlife management?

The ministry objectives highlight the order of priority:

1- Conservation concern
2- First Nations
3- Residents
4- Non-residents (Guide Outfitter based)

04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
In your opinion, whether educated or not, who has greatest influence on wildlife management?

The ministry objectives are to follow the 4 point rule:

1- Conservation concern
2- First Nations
3- Residents

However, often there appears to be a gray area between 3 and 4.

I feel residents still have the most influence, but I also think the guide-outfitter influence has increased and First Nations influence has greatly increased, and may continue to do so until the point where they may eventually have the most influence.
I think it also depends on the particular region, for example if one looks at the North Coast and Centrasl Coast LRMP implementation and/or the Atlin/Taku LUP process it would be obvious FN have a much greater influence up there than in many other regions.

bcfarmer
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
In your opinion, whether educated or not, who has greatest influence on wildlife management?

1- Conservation concern
2- First Nations
3- Residents

me being somewhat uneducated, I would have to say there is also, at times, a gray area between 1 and 2

having said that, if you are going to lump 2/3/4 into the poll together then it is a no brainer ......#2

bcf

Stone Sheep Steve
04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Depends on the Region and depends on the Regional Manager. They vary greatly......too much.

Take a look at the difference that 7A and 7B have been managed. They obviously have had different objectives and different "powers of influence".

SSS

Mr. Dean
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM

1- Conservation concern
2- First Nations
3- Residents

Conservation isn't their top priority.... Its 'looking' good in the publics eye that concerns them.

Mr. Dean
04-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I just had a brain-fart.
Does anyone know of 'alliances' b'tween fitters and 1st Nations people?

I know... its just another conspiracy theory.

Dannybuoy
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I just had a brain-fart.
Does anyone know of 'alliances' b'tween fitters and 1st Nations people?

I know... its just another conspiracy theory.
AARRRGGGHHHHHHHH !!!!!!:roll:

Mr. Dean
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
AARRRGGGHHHHHHHH !!!!!!:roll:

Like it couldn't happen...

04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
There are several G-O territiries now owned and operated by First Nations, but I think their first priority is still food,social and ceremonial harvests.

J_T
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
BCR,

I think you left out a category that would capture the non-hunter, society, anti-hunter and their influence on politicians.

I voted First Nations. While FN don't have a lot of influence "during" the process, in my opinion, they hold the upper hand in the final decision. And during discussions, I think Government people are always cognizant of what will get past FN and what won't.

tufferthandug
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I would have to say First Nations.

Resident hunters and G/O's can only submit opinions and ideas about wildlife conservation. We cannot actually attempt to lay claim to the game, which in turn gives First Nation's more leverage.

Even though the animal's are property of the Queen...:)

daycort
04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Natives here in 7b for sure.

Does anybody know if they still hold the rights to Ross's old territory?

PG_ELK
04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
What's with the "educated or not" comment?? Who is educated in gov't policies??

Where did you find this 4 point rule? I had a quick look at the Ministry's service plan and did see it there??

04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
What's with the "educated or not" comment?? Who is educated in gov't policies??

Where did you find this 4 point rule? I had a quick look at the Ministry's service plan and did see it there??

The four points are the priority list for allocating wildlife harvest.

boxhitch
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Greatest influence on the ground? = meat and potatoes, getting things done for the animal -
- some areas, no question, the G/O who operates there.
-Second would be MOE supported by Resident Dollars
-Down the list are the FN, as they seldom spearhead habitat or Species enhancement projects by themselves.

Greatest influence on Policy? -
- Many areas used to be G/O's, but has swung to Resident Hunters.
-Overall would be the citizens of BC, from all stakeholders.

Greatest Potential Influence on Policy? -
-Hands down, FN, when they decide to raise their head. Some areas they have no great vocal concerns, but others they command the podium.

mpotzold
04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Anytime a group (1st nations ) can stop a moose hunt (immature) in area 5-3 a few years back mid-stream speaks for itself!!

hunter1947
04-23-2008, 03:19 AM
I would say that residence have the first influence on hunting. Just take a look at the money spent on hunting license and tags ,that tells the story right there.

David Heitsman
04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Daycourt:

The Ross concession is now owned by the Blueberry Band. I can't think of their name right now. They donated a Bison at the GOABC dinner but I can't remember their name and don't see it on the GOABC website.

Check out the Brian Martin Stone Sheep and other video footage on the GOABC website. Looks good.

Fisher-Dude
04-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Check out the Brian Martin Stone Sheep and other video footage on the GOABC website. Looks good.

Bryan Martin? The poacher? When is that SOB gonna get deported anyways?

silvicon
04-25-2008, 06:01 AM
the indians have the most influence, catered by spine-less "ploticians"
"environmentalists" the leftwing press and other do-godders.
this bs about food,social and cerimonial harvest is just that, bs!
what this does is give them is the right to slaughter pregnant ungulates during the winter and get away with it!
another issue is the bear hunting on QCI.
did you guys already forget?
THEY want the right to hunt bears, but don't want the taxpayer to do so.
go figure!