PDA

View Full Version : Pemberton bears

04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
So I'm going up to B&B with my girlfriend in pemberton this weekend and convinced her that we should go on looking for bears while were up there. I was up there for the pemberton wild life fundraser a while back and saw nothing. this is my first year hunting bears so I'm still learning what to do. Do you guys know of any spots I should check out in the pemberton area?
any help would be great. and you can PM me and I won't tell a sole.
thanks a lot.

John.

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Most of the FSR around here offer some bear opportunity. I've been seeing bears, everyone has been seeing bears....Not tonnes of them out yet, but they are there.

Pick a road and go for it. Walk up spur roads...

04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
do you know if the green river fsr is open yet? should i go up there,
or check out hurley river fsr area?
or up north to owl creek fsr, birkenhead fsr, and blackwater lake fsr.
I won't have enough time to go on a lot of roads, so I'm hoping for an educated guess on were to focus.

thanks man.

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Focus on the lower elevations...Higher up nothing has greened up yet. I think the Hurley is still snowed in, but maybe you could get to some lower areas around there.

04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Try the Hurly Pass area, look at the log outs, Meager Creek area also, but as others have said the higher you go the less chance. The valley bottoms will have some bruins around but much is farm land and you'll need permission. Most farmers want them removed because of livestock issues. Call the local C/O office, they'll likely help a newbie.
C/T

04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
what about the green river fsr?
do you guys know if it is drivable yet? I know there was a large pile of snow right at the start of it.

Panda
04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
John,
1) join PWA
2) my sis and i are hitting up the range on friday then looking for bears in pemberton; gimmie a shout if you get somethin

06-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi guys,
I was able to get my first bear up in tofino a 3 weeks ago, and am looking to help my hunting partner get his first. Were heading back up to pemberton this weekend for the off road rally and to do some bear hunting. and I was wondering if we should be going up the same area as earlier in the season (around herley, and all along the river) or should we try up north to owl creek fsr, birkenhead fsr, and blackwater lake fsr. or maby green river FSR.
let me know what you think.
thanks a lot

Gateholio
06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,
I was able to get my first bear up in tofino a 3 weeks ago, and am looking to help my hunting partner get his first. Were heading back up to pemberton this weekend for the off road rally and to do some bear hunting.

[QUOTE] and I was wondering if we should be going up the same area as earlier in the season (around herley, and all along the river)

Hurley is open now, you should be able to get up a bit higher, and it's greened up a bit more. Along the river should stil have bears, too.

or should we try up north to owl creek fsr,

Owl Creek FSR is a PITA to go up in a truck, due to ditching. ATV's it's kinda fun. Walking it is steep.

birkenhead fsr,

Always a couple of bears around that area, but access is limited off the main FSR, so be prepared to walk.

and blackwater lake fsr.

Grizzlies seem to have put the run on most of the blackies up near blackwater recently. Locals that live up there are reporting almost zero black bear acitivity, where there used to be plenty.

or maby green river FSR.

There has been some logging down there the last couple of years, should have opened some good bear habitat, but I haven't been down there this year. Let me know how you make out.

06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
thanks for the info,
so we are only going to have time for one dusk and one dawn hunt, so go should go back up to herley for the dusk, and green river FSR in the morning?
Also I have only ever road hunted other than when I was fishing up in tofino and spotted the bears by boat. Should I be stopping the car while I am up there at specific locations and hike in/glass? or just driving till I see one on or beside the road?

Gateholio
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, stop and glass when you can. Walk down spur roads and deactivated roads. Look under powerlines, if applicable.

Mr. Dean
06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Every corner that you come to, glass the road along the ditches and look into the cut blocks.

If you happen into an area that holds lots of sign, get out and go for a walk. You have found what you're looking for...

mattie_k
06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Green river rd is open, go as far as you can ( past the lake entrance) park and hike a spur, lots down there the other day, you should have no problem. Good luck!

06-04-2008, 07:47 AM
What is a Spur?

Gateholio
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
What is a Spur?

The main road has little roads atached to it, called spur roads.

06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
got it, thanks guys,
I just read the thread about your stolen rifle Gatehouse, that's to bad that someone on here would do something like that.

Mr. Dean
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM
A "good" spur, is one that looks more like a trail.
Don't forget to use your binoc's. Even for the stuff that you *think* is up close.
Look for portions of a bear.