PDA

View Full Version : coyote problem need solution

primmed
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I live on 19 acres in Aldergrove BC, I'm surrounded by farm land and I have about 3 coyotes that attack my chickens and harrass the horses. Can I legally shoot them? from what I have read in the regs the answer is NO, it says something about minimum 40 acres to hunt(would read more but i left them at work) any solutions on the problem would be great. I get so mad most evening I would just shoot the stupid buggers from my deck, but my whack job nieghbours lady thinks they are cute and cuddly and curses me everytime i chase them away. but if legally I can blast away tomorrow even is goin to be fun!!!

rishu_pepper
04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Aldergrove is shot-only, I think.

PM me, I'll come over with my shotgun and "take care" of your coyote problem :biggrin:

Moosenose
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Trap them!
Snare them; foot-hold them and pop them.
I would take a look at what is behind your line of sight before I would shoot at them. If it was safe, and no chance of tagging anything beyond them in the line of fire, then I would be tempted to shoot them.
or call your local trapper and hire him to come out and thin them out.
Your local CO will be able to help you out with your problem. Call them, they will know whether you can shoot them or not, and will also know some trappers in the area who could help you.
Good luck.

Paulyman
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Aldergrove is shot-only, I think.

PM me, I'll come over with my shotgun and "take care" of your coyote problem :biggrin:

No rishu i want to! after i'm done i'll give you the coyotes and you can make them into dinner if you want to.

Sunny
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
you need help I'm avaible

primmed
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Nothin behind me for about a 1 km and its unhill so before it entered the nieghbours property it would hit the dirt, I'll call the CO see what he says, anyone with a coyote call is welcome to help

primmed
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
what are cci 22 cb?

rishu_pepper
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
CCI 22 CB's are subsonic 22LR ammo that make virtually no noise (you can hear the hammer, it's like an air rifle). Still, it's single-projectile and I think that might not be kosher in Aldergrove.

EvanG
04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
My buddy shoots em all the time with his 22. out in bradner, and around halloween you can step up to the 243., just mix in a few fireworks. jk, there are some pretty leathal shotgun loads for coyotes. blast away.

todbartell
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
unless you hit them in the head, I doubt a CB would kill a coyote with any sort of humaneness. Even with a head shot it would be iffy. A 29 grain bullet @ 710 fps isnt a whole lot more pop than a good 22 cal pellet gun

boxhitch
04-21-2008, 10:24 PM
CCI 22 CB's will solve your coyote problem, quietly.Except for the ki-yi ing of a wounded doggy, running around the fields.
Make sure it counts, so no head shots.

hunter1947
04-22-2008, 04:27 AM
If they the yots are killing any of your farm animals then yes you are alowed to dispose of them. You have to get hold of the CO and the police in order to get a permit to shoot them. You will have to use a shotgun in order to carry out this task.

04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Got some old hens that are to tough for stewing and not laying any more, then how about some C4. Tie the chickens by the legs so the attraction of an easy kill is there for the dog doing the crime and BOOM!
In reality, don't use your firearms illegally, if you wacked nieghbour reports you the c/o or coppers can take your guns and there will be....no huntin for you! Aldergrove I am sure is closed to discharge unless a special permit is obtained and your size of acreage will not allow for it.
I know a guy who used to hid in his barn up top then hammer them with a 300 Weatherby near the Serpentine River in Surrey, crazy! Never did get caught, kept his shots to only one, and shot several over a number of years. They were killing his calves.
C/T

c.r.hunter
04-22-2008, 08:12 AM
unless you hit them in the head, I doubt a CB would kill a coyote with any sort of humaneness. Even with a head shot it would be iffy. A 29 grain bullet @ 710 fps isnt a whole lot more pop than a good 22 cal pellet gun

I had a friend with a similar situation. Used CB's all the time from close range. One shot in the head worked every time. I would limit it to inside 50 yds. But, not legal where you are anyways. I don't see why you couldn't legaly use buckshot. Back when I lived over there, you could even get a permit to shoot geese in Langly(no shooting at all) for the purpose of crop control.

Steeleco
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Get a copy of the special area hunting regs, you may well be in a shot gun only area. I too have a friend on Bradner rd that raises chickens and ducks and pops yotes with a .410 every once in a while. His son has even taken a few with his bow!

04-22-2008, 08:35 AM
what ever happens, you need to post a few photos of the aftermath.

finish
04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I think when it comes to issues with livestock, you are allowed to shoot them, but I think you are required to call the CO's first. Have Fun!!!!!
I like double odd buck!! Coyotes don't!!

MIL720
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
what ever happens, you need to post a few photos of the aftermath.
video......get some footagehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

wjh131
04-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Get a BFD... big f**king dog. That's what we did. Actually 2 of them works better. Miramar\Ahkbar cross or great pyrenees. Fun to watch them take a yote down.

wolverine
04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
If you have an area to set up a blind get someone with a bow to come out if there is enough shooting light when they come around. Surely there has to be someone here with a bow that would take up the challenge.

BlacktailStalker
04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Zzzzzzip !

Wild one
04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a trappers licence and I live on bradner so if you really want them gone pm me I could use some practice

Dannybuoy
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Get a BFD... big f**king dog. That's what we did. Actually 2 of them works better. Miramar\Ahkbar cross or great pyrenees. Fun to watch them take a yote down.
Or a LFD ... Little f**king Donkey .. ha ha .. seriously donkey hate coyotes and will guard your flock and kill the yotes if they get within range .... personally I would go with the shot gun or traps/snares

RiverOtter
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Couple quick points here, regarding trapping.

1) Coyote season closed on March 31.
2) It is an offence to set a trap(snares included) within 200m of a dwelling. (except a live box trap, which is useless on coyotes)

My advice would be to get a hold of the CO service and ask them what your options are.

RO

Wild one
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
region 2 the season for trapping closes jun 15 but every were else closes mar 31 but yes if he is within 200m of any other dwellings it is a no go.

Mr. Dean
04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
X-bow the bugger.

hunter1947
04-23-2008, 03:28 AM
I worked at a place in Victoria and that region is closed to discharge of any fire arm ,but with a special permit you can get from the CO with the police involved you can use a shotgun in order to eliminate these pests. One of the paces I worked at shot deer in Zone 1-1 with a shotgun to control deer.

Gateholio
04-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I load 165gr cast bullets in 30-30 with about 6gr of Trail Boss powder. Makes a "POP" noise, but not much else. Like a cap gun. Penetrates like hell.

That's what I use around my place for popping small vermin.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
ok #1 ... this province is backward ... your chickens are your lively hood (ok so yer breakfast hood) common sense says take em out ....
I think i about fell off my chair when i read there was a season for them ... at anyrate your small land .. requires a bow like weapon of a trap and relocate deal ... just think 3 Ss Shoot, Shovel and Shut up ... If i were close i would come take em out with my bow and a hurt rabbit call

boonerbuck
04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
No rishu i want to! after i'm done i'll give you the coyotes and you can make them into dinner if you want to.

First thing to do is contact the Wildlife office and talk to CO about the situtation and the regulations. If live stock is being protected then there are exceptions in the regs but maybe not the by laws being in the Lower Mainland.

Second, you have to decide how much you want to improve the situation. If you decide to go it alone because you want to enjoy the cull then I hope you are an experienced pred caller and trapper because these animals learn really fast and a blown calling session or two and a fumbled trap set can turn these animals nocturnal and trap shy instantly without killing a single one.

To help yourself of this problem you may be able to learn some tricks on our web site and possibly find someone who is good at this in your area.

I'd love to help you even though I'm in the Cariboo. I do travel south often. I have a top of the line electronic caller and I am pretty successfull. Since you are on a small location and in a shot only area, calling will only work a couple of times most likely. After that it comes down to traps. I also have my trapping licence and would be willing to set some traps of the non killing variety but I have limited time to do this. I would legally be allowed to trap with your written permission. The reason I'd use non killing sets is in case a neighbours animal came in. Leg holds are what would be used. A quick dispatch would follow or a release if it was Rover. There are soft catch traps....

You will never kill a good portion of the population in your situation but you should be pretty successful at keeping the away from your house. They learn fast.

primmed
04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Well I chased one through the back field to day on my quad, I was right up beside it so close i could have touched it. So I'm mounting a baseball bat on my handle bars tonight and tomorrow will be interesting

EvanG
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Arent these damn coyotes dead yet?

boxhitch
04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Well I chased one through the back field to day on my quad, I was right up beside it so close i could have touched it. So I'm mounting a baseball bat on my handle bars tonight and tomorrow will be interestingWhat time should we be there with the vid cam ?

sgt.maj
04-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I load 165gr cast bullets in 30-30 with about 6gr of Trail Boss powder. Makes a "POP" noise, but not much else. Like a cap gun. Penetrates like hell.

That's what I use around my place for popping small vermin.

Im interested in this load Gate. Tell me more. What range are we talking about. I would think fairly close?

Gateholio
04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Im interested in this load Gate. Tell me more. What range are we talking about. I would think fairly close?

Loads like this are really lethal at close range, but bullets drop like a stone furhter out. you will get ZERO expansion.

I tested this out at 25 yards and it penetrated 7 milk jugs of water- but then dropped an died at the 8th-with no expansion.

Bottom line is that TRAILBOSS is a powder that looks like donuts, so t fills cases nicely. Itis "fluffy"

It is a powder eveloped for cowboy shooting with light loads. I dropped it down a few grains, and basically, it works. It is not a moose load, it's damn good for predators or other vermin withi 100 yards.

hunter1947
04-25-2008, 03:24 AM
I would think that if you used any firearm in a residential area you would be breaking the law ,why don;t you get advice from the the CO and do it lawful ???

ElectricDyck
04-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Like Steleco said pick up a special area hunting map, I believe the border between langley and aldergrove is just west of lefevre rd (langley is no shooting) so if you're east of lefuvre pick up a special area hunting license and some buck shot, you got till june 15th.

The Hermit
04-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Three words... Bow and Arrow!

primmed
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I dont reload at all but would buy about 50 rounds of that round that gatehouse was talking about constructing off someone if they were ever bored

endtimerwithabow
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
try feeding them close to an outbuilding for afew days put something youve worn in the building and on day 4-5 have a suprise waiting for them. no shooting doesnt mean you cant use a xbow or a bow it means no shooting. make sure it dies in your yard. a bow fishing rig would keep it from runnin off! spider wire might work. ive caught some big ulgly springs and chum on the vedder when we live down there they never borke the main line just the leader. juat make sure you tell no one what youer doing. even on this site you dont know whos who!

Gateholio
04-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Let's make sure we aren't promoting doing anything illegal, okay?

Dirty
04-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Hang a raw chicken up in a tree. Underneath place some snares mid air area. Make sure that when they jump up to get at the chicken their heads will go through the snare. On their way down, snare tightens up. Voila! Coyote snares itself trying to get chicken. Heard this one from an old trapper.

Johnny G1
04-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Sounds good to me a Coyote Hanging, gittin back to the old wild west sooner than I had hope for, Next we can have the KKK get your Coyote.