PDA

View Full Version : Keremeos Area

hunter1947
04-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Has anyone ever hunted south of Keremeos for mule deer ????. I was going to check out the park south of it this November ,it is called Cathedral Park. I have heard that there are some real bruiser's in that area ???.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
If you really want to do it, do it soon. That area is part of the South Okanagan National Park Reserve "plan". If you haven't signed the petition against it better do it now.:frown:

SSS

hunter1947
04-21-2008, 06:04 AM
If you really want to do it, do it soon. That area is part of the South Okanagan National Park Reserve "plan". If you haven't signed the petition against it better do it now.:frown:

SSS Where do I sign the petition :roll: SSS ???

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2008, 06:05 AM
It's been posted on here more than once. I'll see if I can dig it up.

SSS

hunter1947
04-21-2008, 06:09 AM
It's been posted on here more than once. I'll see if I can dig it up.

SSS
SSS If it has been posted on this site I might have already signed it. When it comes to that kind of thing I always sign the petition.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2008, 06:19 AM
That's good because I couldn't find it using a site search so I Googled it but could only find petitions supporting the park...and a shitload of them to boot!!

Not good!:icon_frow

SSS

KevinB
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Access to the higher country is a bit limited, but there are trails up into it (there is a jeep that will take you up a road to the lodge, but I bet they don't take hutners! ;-)). I have seen a couple of nice muleys in the alpine while hiking in the area. I haven't had the opportunity to hunt the lower elevations in the late season so i can't help you there. It is mostly pretty steep so once you get away from easy ground you might have a lot of it to yourself. Good luck and kill a muley there before thay make it a National Park!!

Wildfoot
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
there is a fsr east of the park that has some campgrounds along it. I would go into the park from there. It is around $100 to use the shuttle up to the lodge - and the road is private :(

EvanG
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
print and sign the letter against it on the wild sheep societies website.

David Heitsman
04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Three years ago I horsebacked into the area south of Keremeos for a week sheep hunting. I went in straight up from the bridge south of Cawston and worked our way due west about 2 - 3 ks north of the US border.

I was in early in September and put the spotting scope on a great 4 point
about 2 days before the deer season opened. He wasn't that far away or spooked so we rode back to the plateau opening day and looked around for him. Of course he was long gone but at least I knew that the area had good genetics, however that was the only deer I saw in 7 days wandering around back there. Didn't see many tracks either.

I have also stayed at Cathedral Lodge and hiked in August with my family.
The only deer I saw there were some does around the lake there at the lodge. we spent our time hiking quite high and mostly in shale areas of marginal deer habitat.

Tonto
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Im pretty sure that the western boundary for the new proposed national park is actually along the eastern boarder for Cathedral park and does not actaully encompass Cathedral. Just read a big article in a magazine about it and im surer thats what the maps showed.

hunter1947
04-25-2008, 03:35 AM
I would think that the last 5 days of the open season in Nov would be a different story when trying to find some head gear. What you dident see months latter can change the table in a few months down the road ,I will look and find out and if nothing then at least I will have said to myself I tried. Looking over this area will tell me if it is good or bad for deer at the latter time of the year.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 04:44 AM
There was another meeting held in Penticton yesterday for the horseback users of the Ashnola. I was not there but a friend went down.The feeling by one fella that has put his heart and sole into that country(he has held the contract to look after the cabins for many years) was that this national park is being crammed down our throats weather we like it or not. The meeting got heated was heavilly one sided against the park but everyone's voices were falling on deaf ears. It seems like these meetings are being held just to follow protocal.

I was just looking at the LEH regs from last year and to show what a significant loss this is to us....................

California Bighorns draws in the Province=112

Ashnola draws= 62

That's 55.4% of the California draws a cross this province.
Not to mention the lost "seed" for future transplants:sad:.

Does anyone have Senator Ross Fitzpatricks email addy???

SSS

hunter1947
04-25-2008, 06:50 AM
There was another meeting held in Penticton yesterday for the horseback users of the Ashnola. I was not there but a friend went down.The feeling by one fella that has put his heart and sole into that country(he has held the contract to look after the cabins for many years) was that this national park is being crammed down our throats weather we like it or not. The meeting got heated was heavilly one sided against the park but everyone's voices were falling on deaf ears. It seems like these meetings are being held just to follow protocal.

I was just looking at the LEH regs from last year and to show what a significant loss this is to us....................

California Bighorns draws in the Province=112

Ashnola draws= 62

That's 55.4% of the California draws a cross this province.
Not to mention the lost "seed" for future transplants:sad:.

Does anyone have Senator Ross Fitzpatricks email addy???

SSS
If they close this area down it would be a shame to us the hunters :(.

greybark
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey SSS , Eighteen months ago I collected over 100 signatures against this very proposal . One of the organizers who lives in Keremeos (Ernie M) feels the same as you do in regards to the ramming this park proposel through .
Don`t think for a second the FN will surrender their hunting and fishing rights and will have a private hunting domain and charge big money to even transpass .

PS , It was Steelhead season and all fishers signed !!!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
GB-Back when I first heard of the proposal, I could not find out where the boundaries were supposed to be. I contacted the Schnieders as I figured since they were G/Os and cattlemen, they would know ...but they said the same thing....didn't know.
It's hard to fight your enemy if the lights aren't on. They've kept us in the dark as long as possible to get their agenda pushed through.

SSS

kennyj
04-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey 1947,
I've hunted north of Keremeos a few times.Shot my first mule deer there in '92.There has been some logging since then,but it should still be good.I might go back this year.Great area.
Kenny

bcfarmer
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
as I responded to H47 in a pm...anyone needing info for around here ..Keremeos... then pm me and I.ll see if i can help. I live right here.

bcf

browningboy
04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Any good spots around the cathidral lakes with an RV trailer for fishing and spring bear?

Tonto
04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
If anybody wants more info or to see the map of the proposed Nat. park bounderies there is a big atrtice about it in this months "British Columbia Magazine" on news stands now....
Of course the article is all warm and fuzzy about the park but there is some good info in it as well.