PDA

View Full Version : Cali full curl

srupp
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Was going west of Williams Lake today 2:30 and right near town where I have NEVER seen any Cali bighorn stood an AWESOME FULL CURL...

majestic grace in a ratty spring coat...the LAST 4 rams I have seen have all..100% been in areas I have never ever seen cali sheep...

3 hours later I seen another band of 30...again in an area I havnt seen sheep there for 15 years... 3 of the rams were full curl plus..

color me surprised..

Steven

killman
04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
pics??????????????????????

BCLongshot
04-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Right On !!!!

Gateholio
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Great to hear!!

boxhitch
04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
And nobody really has a handle on whether these sightings are due to known-herd dispersal (resulting in apparent decline of original) or whether these are new expanding herds.
They need more ear tags.

srupp
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
hmmmm photos..lol kinda hard justifying stopping the AMBULANCE to take some photos..:eek:..I do take the camera on medivacs..

Hmmm with over 80% of the chilcotin sheep gone ..its getting pretty hard to find the rams or any sheep for that matter some of the old haunts are completely void of any sheep...

The big group USED to be there 12 years ago..suddenly poof there they are..suprised yes..but not out of the question..

The lone big guy...30 years never ever seen a ram near there PERIOD....score 155-160.. length was there a little shy on mass but "quick" estimation not a terribly old ram so good potential..

First nations are hunting the remaining rams for $$$$$..., plus die offs ..and cougars # are up...

The one place I recently went I have yet to NOT see some sort of sheep there over those 30 years..3 days..ZERO.. no droppings...no tracks....not even any dead winter kill...still dont have an answer for that..the one bench I have seen 15 rams all legal back some years..now NADA...:frown:

Steven

hunter1947
04-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Nice to see alright ,I just hope that no one does any pouching on them.

silvicon
04-21-2008, 05:48 AM
three reasons why the sheep population in the chilcoteen went down are
sickness, predation and poaching.
where did you see them? past the Fraser?
I have not seen any sheep there the past 8 years.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2008, 06:04 AM
three reasons why the sheep population in the chilcoteen went down are
sickness, predation and poaching.
where did you see them? past the Fraser?
I have not seen any sheep there the past 8 years.

Don't forget competition and forest encroachment. Forest encroachment goes hand in hand with higher predation(more cover for predators).

SSS

rifleman
04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I Have Seen A Picture Of A Very Nice Full Curl Ram. The Person That Took It Is 100% Sure That It Was At The End Of Toba Inlet. On The West Coast .i Didn't Even Know That There Was Sheep There.

srupp
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I would seriously doubt it....my opinion...

Steven

JoshCampbell
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
i had just seen 10 ewes and one big ram by williams lake last week along the river where i never have seen sheep befor it was quite the shocker indeed but great to c

srupp
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
yes Josh I agree the sheep are doing crazy Ivan stuff showing up in the strangest places..perhaps the same group I saw a couple days ago..IF so yes he is BIG that is for certain..

Steven

EvanG
04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Awesome news, I think they lost something like 2000 in the die off along the fraser, A buddy of mine does the vegiatation patrols for hydro transmission lines and is also a director of the sheep society told me that from what hes seen in his time in the air the sheep are starting to come back. Where abouts did you see the group of 30?