PDA

View Full Version : Stupid boresighting newbie question

308BAR
04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm sooooo embarrassed.

Ok, I'm dummer than a bag of hammers or the laws of left, right, up and down have reversed (probably the first applies to me:-().

I have a Bushnell magnetic boresighter, when you look through the scope it shows up as a grid "0" being centre of the grid.

When I look through my scope the crosshairs are High and to the Left.

So I assume I need to turn my windage nobs to move the crosshairs right and down to get it to the centre of the grid.

NOPE, instead, I actually had to turn it as indicated on the dials Left and Up???? Is the centre of the grid considered the POI??? The instructions doesn't really say??

Please explain me the dumb bag of hammers how it works or forward me a website that explains this. Please don't laugh too loudly. :oops::redface:

Rod
04-20-2008, 01:50 AM
just look through the scope and adjust the knobs until the crosshairs are on the center, that should have you on paper at 100..

bcfarmer
04-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm sooooo embarrassed.

Ok, I'm dummer than a bag of hammers or the laws of left, right, up and down have reversed (probably the first applies to me:-().

I have a Bushnell magnetic boresighter, when you look through the scope it shows up as a grid "0" being centre of the grid.

When I look through my scope the crosshairs are High and to the Left.

So I assume I need to turn my windage nobs to move the crosshairs right and down to get it to the centre of the grid.

NOPE, instead, I actually had to turn it as indicated on the dials Left and Up???? Is the centre of the grid considered the POI??? The instructions doesn't really say??

Please explain me the dumb bag of hammers how it works or forward me a website that explains this. Please don't laugh too loudly. :oops::redface:

Don't be embarrassed, or feel like a bag of hammers:razz: There is probably not one person who has handled scoped firearms that this has not happened to.(unless they have already been told why)

1. when sighting in on paper, scope is sighted to bull. shot is taken and then scope is adjusted to where shot ends up. 3" high/2" right...then scope has to be moved accordingly.

2. when bore siting...down through barrel or with bore sighter....your moving POI to the target area (usually the bull) . the only way to move poi is with the scope, so scope has to be asjusted 3" down/2" to left.

not sure if this explains it enough,probably clear as mud....just stick to the fact that when bore sighting you have to do the exact opposite to adjust the scope verses when your punching paper.

bcf

todbartell
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
you have to move them opposite than what you'd think, it's like looking in a mirror

KevinB
04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
The next time you go to the range, put your rifle in a gun vise or hold it down really solid on it's rest, and while looking through the scope at a target some distance away, turn the windage knob in the direction marked "left". You will actually see that the crosshairs move to the right on the target. And the same for the elevation adjustments. "Left" doesn't mean move the crosshairs left - it means move the "relative" point of impact left. It does this by moving the crosshairs to the right, not by actually changing where the bullet goes, relative to the rifle. Or to look at it another way, say you are holding dead on a target, and your point of impact is to the right of that target...the natural way to think of it is that you want your point of impact to move to the left, so, you crank the windage adjustment in the "left" direction. But in reality, what you are actually doing with the adjustment is moving the crosshairs to the right so that they line up with the rifle's point of impact.

I think that was a really poor way of explaining it but I hope it helps, play with your rifle and the scope's windage/elevation adjustments a lot one day at the range, while looking through the scope, and with the boresighter on and off, and you'll get it.

Have you already shot this rifle/scope combo and have it roughly sighted in on paper? Or are you boresighting it just after mounting the scope?

phoenix
04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
What Kevin said,
Kim

308BAR
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Have you already shot this rifle/scope combo and have it roughly sighted in on paper? Or are you boresighting it just after mounting the scope?

I'm boresighting because I got a couple of new rifles and scopes that I just mounted. Thanks for the explainations guys, I think I get it :confused: :wink:. Maybe I'll just be blissfully oblivious on these things and try thinking less. :tongue::oops:.

Cheers

Rod
04-21-2008, 12:34 AM
OK how about this... with the boresight move the croshairs to the bull.. then put a shot into the target and fine tune by moving the crosshairs to the bullet hole..

confused yet? don't sweat it we have all been there on one subject or aother.

eaglesnester
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Yup move your crosshairs to the POI while holding dead steady on the bull at 25 to 50 yards. As stated in the previous post if the rifle is held dead steady on the target you can see your crosshairs move to POI. This works better on a 3 shot group. You move your cross hairs to group center. Works for me and it will work for you