PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 turkey story!

mark
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Well Im now 3 for 3 on turkeys! We left Kelowna at 8 am sat. morn headed east. parked in secret spot . Buddy went that way, I went this way, said call each other when we hear a shot! After 1.5 hours of hiking and calling we talked on the phone and nothing for either of us . 200 yards down my trail I crest a little rise and a huge tom and 4 hens right in front of me, long story short they got away. I continued another couple kms. relizing that the birds wernt responding to calls. I was about to head back when my phone rings a few times as I dig it out. Just as I answered it and started to talk, I get gobbles . I take position, and cluck in 2 nice gobblers to 25 yards, dump one and had enough time to walk up to my bird, take off my pack, dig out the camcorder and video the other dummy at only 20 yards away. I then ran my pack straps through the tendons of the turkey and made the long journey back to camp.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0133.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=8984&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0140.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=8986&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0142.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=8987&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

This by the way, is the best way to pack out a bird for any distance!!!!! My other buddy ran into 5 Jakes but they were not coming to his calls. the next morn my other buddy and his 2 sons showed up. I took them into my secret turkey ridge! What happened in the next 2 hours was unbelievable! First place we set up to call we get the biggest most awesome tom my eyes have ever seen, with 3 hens come right in in 15 minutes. Boom.... turkey flys away?????? turkey fever I suppose! Not 15 minutes of hiking I come to a big rock, wow 2 big toms right on the other side, I motion buddy over, all he has to do is stand up and blast 1 at 20 yards.... BOOM... turkey flys away????? the other one just walked off about 75 yards. with an hour of clucking we got the other to come back in range twice, once gun goes click, he fidgets scares bird off, another half hour of clucking, bird comes back.... BOOM.... turkey flys away????? All I can say is I have a whole new respect for guides and the frustrations they must have dealing with excited rookies! Believe it or not in the next .5 km. I clucked in 2 more toms, but not into range, not that I think it would of mattered as we only had 7 shots left anyway! Other buddy cought up tp his 5 jakes again but couldnt close the deal. I was out there for 29 hours, saw 26 turkeys could of easily shot 5 toms myself! My buddies came home dragging their tails!

link to my 2007 turkey!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11788

link to my 2006 turkey!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5326

slyfox
04-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Nice bird mark congrats no time to hunt turkeys this year for me reg 4 or 8 bird.

frenchbar
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Very nice pics and story mark! that turkey hunting sounds like a lotta fun .going to have to give it a go someday.congrats.

Laurence_Erickson
04-19-2008, 10:30 PM
real nice looking bird mark.what kind of call are you using ?? I may just have to try this some time . I will be talking to you on the phone he soon .

Brambles
04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Good job Mark, nice tom, how long was his beard and spurs?

My first turkey hunt of the year didn't turn out so well, couple guys camped right in the middle of the best turkey spot in the whole country, nice guys however and very hospitable. Had one tom gobbling and he was coming in but had to cross a road to get to me. Needless to say someone was bombing down the road and spooked him off.

I figure its still a little early, I'll try again in a week or so.

killman
04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow great pics and story. I would like to try that one day. what's your fee?

hunter1947
04-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Nice going on the turkey Mark ,that other turkey better do some growing up or he won't be around much longer.

tracker
04-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes some think turkey hunting is easy ,they have eyes like eagles and can hear very well also and when you do get into range, shoot at there head and neck because anywhere else might result into a lost bird but remember its a small target and with all the excitement that happens before can result in a miss ,:eek: "turkey fever"

Congrats on another gobbler mark many more to come hey!!!!!

Take yer bud's to the range :roll:

huntwriter
04-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Congratulations on a nice turkey of the subspecies Merriam's. Of all the turkey species the Merriam is the most beautiful coloured one.

“This by the way, is the best way to pack out a bird for any distance!!!!!” Sorry Mark but I strongly disagree with that statement. The way you show is actually the best way to get yourself shot.;)

To carry a turkey out it is best to wrap them up in a plastic bag or stick them into a game bird pouch provided on all turkey and upland vests. Often I just wrap a blaze orange vest around a bird before I hang it over my shoulder.

mark
04-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Brambles... this is the smallest of all my birds, 4 inch beard, spurrs just a wart! the first one I called in for my buddy was a BOONER! like a 12" beard, I almost cried!
killguy, Im thinking I would be a great turkey guide, how much beer do ya got???
HW, Im not too worried about getting shot, "99.9% of guys" wont go where I huntem, most of the gun toten turkeys are in their trucks clucking out the window!
Tracker, most definately a hunt that wont be missed by me in the future, second most exciting thing to HUNT next to elk!!!! :mrgreen:

killman
04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Mark , Endless supply of beer. I may give ya a call some day with beer!!

Thunderstix
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Very cool Mark! I have never hunted turkey-lurkeys but would like to some day.

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Great Pics Mark , what call are you using ? I have never hunted turkeys but would like to get out sometime .

mark
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Great Pics Mark , what call are you using ? I have never hunted turkeys but would like to get out sometime .

All ya need is the box call, it does the hen cluck perfectly, is very easy to use, and works like a charm! All other calls and decoys are a waste of time and money! :p

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Good job Mark! Let me know when Georgia is cookin' that turkey up, I'll bring the wine!

So ya rattled him in with that shed eh? Always knew ya had a "secret method" for your success! ;)

BlacktailStalker
04-20-2008, 12:31 PM
3 for 3 pretty darn good !
Turkey hunting looks like a lot of fun and is on my to do list for sure !
Nothing like interacting with game vocally to hunt them.

browningboy
04-20-2008, 01:53 PM
That looks like fun, good job! I'm really starting to think of making a fishing / turkey trip, how do they taste in comparison? Tougher?

bruin
04-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Good looking bird Mark, congrats

Krico
04-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm a recent convert. Turkey hunting is awesome.

Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

300H&H
04-20-2008, 03:22 PM
PISS ME OFF !!! I thought I had you beat THIS year. Looks like Im feasting on turkey track soup AGAIN this week. It seams in MY HOT SPOT the birds are holed up on privet land and don't feel the need to come check me out, YET !!!

Congrats Mark, Im happy for you. But Id be happier if it was me also. I video you shooting & you video me shooting. I WON"T MISS !!!

Im starting the bidding for Marks "TURKEY GUIDEING" services at...1-6 pack of beer, a 40oz of Rye (to be shared with me), and 4 lucky rabbits feet (please make your selection around the Kelowna fire station) that you must catch.

Mark, please RSVP ASAP

mark
04-20-2008, 08:53 PM
That looks like fun, good job! I'm really starting to think of making a fishing / turkey trip, how do they taste in comparison? Tougher?

Wow, I just finished a feast of my turkey! My first 2 birds were big toms, and I have to admit they were tough, dry, and pretty gamey. Had to make em into soup to finish em off! This was my smallest bird a young jake, I took the breast and legs and thighs stuffed em in the crockpot. I added a sliced up apple, a cup of red wine, as well as some seasonings, 10 hours on low.....unbelievable, tender, juicy, and delicious. Gravy and cranberries of course, yum, yum, nothing but jakes from now on, they're just as much fun too hunt too! :)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Well Mark, I guess you've got this turkey thing pretty much mastered:cool:.

I guess if you want your season to last a little longer than 2 hours, you'd better get yourself some turkey guilleteens and a pop-up blind:D.

Congrats again!

SSS

mark
04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Well Mark, I guess you've got this turkey thing pretty much mastered:cool:.

I guess if you want your season to last a little longer than 2 hours, you'd better get yourself some turkey guilleteens and a pop-up blind:D.

Congrats again!

SSS

Wouldnt even need a blind, I could of arrowed at least 3 of them birds. I keep saying that im gonna do it, maybe next year!

Brambles
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I just cooked up my tom from last year, yah I know a little late but I figured I should eat this one before I shoot another.

I put 2 cups of chicken broth in the pan, stuffed the turkey with quartered apples,(we did stuffing on the stove) and cooked it breast side down. Turned out great

He was a good sized bird probably 2 years old and he wasn't really tough or gamey.
Gotta make sure you clean your turkeys real quick because they'll get REAL smelly.

troutseeker
04-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll be heading out tomorrow for a try. Not sure where to go as I don't have much time (story of my life...). I'll enjoy a good hike, have a quiet lunch in the bush and still make it to work for 3 or 4 pm.

Troutseeker

phoenix
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, were to go? I haven't seen any up here in Ellison except for one down by Duck Lake a year ago. Where are they hiding? Should I be looking Hwy.33 or Westside?
Kim

troutseeker
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Fixed it, good!

Troutseeker

palmer
04-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Mark...If you are going to start charging a fee for the spot I gave you then I will have to take a cut......you can have the beer , ill take the whiskey. keep up the good work

Keith

300H&H
04-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Mark...If you are going to start charging a fee for the spot I gave you then I will have to take a cut......you can have the beer , ill take the whiskey. keep up the good work

Keith

It was my offer to Mark for the whisky & beer. So I will cut out the middle man (Mark) and just give you the Rye for some info. I might still share the beer with Mark http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/winking/winking0071.gif.