PDA

View Full Version : Odd color moose

Russell
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Just got my first scanner so went digging through some old hunting shots. Here's a strange one I got in 1996. Went out in the morning early an ran into a fresh set of tracks which I started to follow up hill. That one went right to the top of the ridge then worked its way to the bottom again then back to the top and over the other side . Followed him down the other side and through some real thick stuff and finally lost him which was probably for the best as it would have been the pack from hell anyways. By this time I'm late for lunch and totally bagged so headed back to camp for growlies. With that out of the way headed back out to another small valley about half a mile from the earlier chase. I was kinda tired from the morning chase so figured to find a good vantage point and glass and call till dark. Fell asleep up there for I don't know how long and woke up to see a moose moving across an opening about 300-50 yards out. Put the glasses on him and holy shite its a bull , jack one in the chamber get a good rest on a log put him down. After getting down to him and having a close up look was surprised to find he was grey , the kinda grey you see on a cat not a moose. And he was pretty big compared to the size of rack on him, dressed out weighed the same as my buddies moose on the right. Felt kinda bad taking one like this but with the lighting and time of day didn't realize until I got up on him that he was an odd color.Anybody else ever see a moose like this one? Sorry but this is the only picture I could find but the whole body was the same color. Russ

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/ARRJ/Greymoosesized.jpg

rocksteady
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Definitely a hybrid...Looks like a cross with an old Appaloosa I used to own...

Russell
04-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey never knew horse meat could be that tasty.

srupp
04-19-2008, 08:41 PM
hmmm strange color..no havnt seen one that color before..
Steven

hunter1947
04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Never seen one like that color befor ,looks like it might have had some albino jean pool from the past ???

mark
04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Hes just a little pale looking to me, I for one have seen moose like that before!

tomahawk
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
I've seen a slew of moose before and they all were of a brown tone, some lighter and some darker. Never seen one that has a true grey colour like that, cool to see, thanks for sharing.

ruger#1
04-20-2008, 10:15 AM
hey that guy to the left isn't Barny is it, and that rifle to the right is that a mark X. and the moose just looks like another color phase.

Russell
04-20-2008, 10:48 AM
''hey that guy to the left isn't Barny is it''

As in Andy's deputy?

ruger#1
04-20-2008, 11:14 AM
no as in barny i used to work for.

Russell
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The guy on the left is me and on the right is a buddy named Steve.

ruger#1
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
okay my mistake. You look like someone i worked for, Sorry bud.

Russell
04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
No need to apologize Ruger I was just kidding around.Russ

outdoorsman812
04-20-2008, 12:10 PM
the only moose i have seen close to that color was a big old cow