PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over, questioned about firearms transport

ElectricDyck
04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Got up early this morning to do some bear hunting. Started up my truck and turned on the park lights to see my tach (turning on headlights shines in my neighbours window), I always turn up the throttle lock so it warms up faster. Put my gun in beside my seat as I thought I would do a little road hunting in the morning.
Anyway driving down south fraser way I get pulled over cause I don't have my head lights on.(I still just have my park lights on) Conversation goes like this:

Going to work?
No, going hunting.
Hunting?Got any guns? (just as he notices that my rifle is beside me) Dont' touch it!
It's not loaded.
Do you have a trigger lock on it?
I don't need a trigger lock to transport.
Well that isn't a legal way to transport!
Yes it is, I believe I have a copy of the firearms rules in my glove box.
You know why I pulled you over....headlights.
Yup.
Have a nice day.
Phew!

Just like to say thanks to HBC for one of the posts that encouraged everyone to keep a copy of the regulations with them, I think it saved my a lot of headache. I posted this in the mainland forum so people living in the fraser valley read this and avoid any headaches as well.

island hunter
04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
seems the conservation officer was having a bad morning and forgot the firearms act. well done for having regs in the glove box, ill add a copy to mine today. good luck with the bears. its stillto cold on the island or something ,not a sign yet, it snowed this morning in comox,i guess it won't be long now.

ez.

ElectricDyck
04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Not a CO. Local Police.

huntwriter
04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for posting this up. Good idea to keep a copy of the firearm transport regulations in the truck, I will do that too in the future. Although I always transport my guns enclosed in a case and trigger locked. But you never know.

Coincidentally, yesterday morning on my way to work 4:30am and on the way back home 2:30pm I saw cop cars everywhere stopping cars. I thought first that they look for somebody but then I figured out that they do speed checks. It’s that time of year were the cops do money drives. ;)

huntcoop
04-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Where can one find a copy of those regs?

elkdom
04-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Did I miss something in your statement of events when you were pulled over? You mean to say a professional police officer harasses you over your hunting rifle,questions your ability to transport said firearm safely,but the officer does not physically examine the rifle to determine if it is, or is not loaded!, and then beckons you to have a nice day and forgets to check for your valid PAL and your Firearm Registration Certificate?, WOW ! these guys are confused it seems!

Nalidixic
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Just finished watching Cops TV. Sounds like something that would be on that show :P

Nalid

Steeleco
04-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Where can one find a copy of those regs?

Right here!! http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/media/pdf/safestorage_e.pdf

Print it and put a copy where ever you think you might need it. IE shooting bag, glove box, wifes glove box, you get the idea!!

Have a read here too. http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/1998/19980415/html/sor209-e.html

mark
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice going E.D.! Way to educate a cop, and put em in their place! Im going to have to pack a few copies of that myself!

hunter1947
04-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Very good post and very good thinking on your part for carrying the firearms rules.

switchback
04-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Excellent post. I am down loading a copy of the regs presently. I see you asked the officer not to touch your gun. Does anyone know if C.O.s need to ask permission to grab your gun out of your vehicle without asking?

ElectricDyck
04-20-2008, 06:28 AM
I see you asked the officer not to touch your gun.

Maybe a little confusing the way I wrote it , but that's him telling me not to touch it.

BearSniper
04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I've heard that many Abbotsford Police Dept. officers are hunters.

Sounds like he was reasonable about it- didn't get into a hormone struggle.:smile:

mark
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Maybe a little confusing the way I wrote it , but that's him telling me not to touch it.

I understood ya, I would of politely told him, that I know my rights, and I have the right to touch my gun all I want too, who are you to tell me otherwise??? I do understand the cops side of it, but they do need a reminder that they are not God sometimes. In the past ive been pulled over for speeding after a long hunting trip, had very good luck with getting a warning with my gun on the seat, never had a problem regarding it. Must be something about having a bigger gun than the cop that makes them reasonable!

bearheart
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
When is it legal to have an uncased, unloaded, rifle in cab of one's truck...forest service road,nonpaved roads, any road. Ammo in glove box o.k. or must it be in locked contaainer (I have an old truck,no lock on glove box).Thanks.

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I understood ya, I would of politely told him, that I know my rights, and I have the right to touch my gun all I want too, who are you to tell me otherwise??? I do understand the cops side of it, but they do need a reminder that they are not God sometimes. In the past ive been pulled over for speeding after a long hunting trip, had very good luck with getting a warning with my gun on the seat, never had a problem regarding it. Must be something about having a bigger gun than the cop that makes them reasonable!
Handling things as you state Mark would be pretty much asking the officer to take you downtown ( wildlife act ) Well done ElectricDyck , I too am going to follow your lead and get a copy of those regs in my glovebox as alot of police and CO's might not be up on every rule and regulation .

mark
04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
When is it legal to have an uncased, unloaded, rifle in cab of one's truck...forest service road,nonpaved roads, any road. Ammo in glove box o.k. or must it be in locked contaainer (I have an old truck,no lock on glove box).Thanks.

ANYTIME!!!! as long as your present! Ammo can sit on the seat right beside your unlocked, uncased gun!

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I believe as long as you are in the vehicle , but edicate/common sense would suggest that you keep it out of sight when in town ... ie covered with a jacket .

bruin
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Great posts guys, thanks for the story and the link, saved and printed, will definitely keep a copy in each vehicle.

huntcoop
04-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Print it and put a copy where ever you think you might need it. IE shooting bag, glove box, wifes glove box, you get the idea!!

Have a read here too. http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/1998/19980415/html/sor209-e.html

Thanx Steeleco!

#1fishslayer
04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Damm Im out of ink !!!Always the way. Thanks for the link

Stone Sheep Steve
04-20-2008, 11:35 AM
That's for the story and link!! I printed off a copy for both my truck and my backpack(for my motorbike).

Personally, I would have also asked for a business card from the officer and his supervisor's name and number. Give the supervisor a call and make sure all of his officers are PROPERLY educated on the rules of transportation.
We need to politely get ALL of them educated.:neutral:

SSS

Gateholio
04-20-2008, 11:55 AM

As long as it is NOT a restricted firearm, you can do this anytime.

you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal.

When traveling to and from hunting areas/camps/town I leave the rifle on the seat beside me, with the ammo on the loops in the sling. I only cover it up when I exit the vehicle, and leave it unattended, like in town.

mud-dog27
04-20-2008, 12:57 PM
good to hear he wasnt a dick about...sometimes showin em you know the laws better then them shuts em up other times they get a little pissy

and thanks for the link gotta get me some ink and print those regs out

johnes50
04-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the reminder and the links. Never hurts to read the regs again after a long winter.

Bullmoose
04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
At least you got a cop that wasn't under orders to push any and all rules against gun owners. In Ontario the Provincial Lieberals have declared an all out war against gun owners and the OPP is the tool of choice. There are documented cases of citizens being charged and arrested for having a part box of .22 ammo in the glove box, there were no guns in the vehicle at the time. The charge was unsafe storage of ammunition, I know I know, there is no such charge, but they don't care, they charge you, in many cases arrest and detain you and if they lose in court they've still cost you thousands of dollars in legal fees. There is another case in the Ontario courts against a man who came home from hunting groundgogs on his own property (yes he never left his property), a neighbor seen him walking home with his .22 cradled in his arms, called the police and they S.W.A.T.T.ed him. with a command unit, the "gun truck" and the personnel transport with 9 fully armed and armoured cops. They called his house on the phone, told his sister he had committed a serious gun crime and to get down on the floor. They then assualted the man on his way back form his barn, cuffed and arrested him and took him to jail were he spent three days trying to raise bail. In the meantime the cops cut open his gun safe with an acetylene torch and confiscated his guns. The case is pending.
We're living in a dream world , and it can happen here. If you're fighting for your rights as a member of a pro gun organization such as the CSSA, WHY NOT????The antis and Lieberals won't rest, they're after all guns and they will be successful if we don't get active.

islandboy
04-20-2008, 03:33 PM
There is another case in the Ontario courts against a man who came home from hunting groundgogs on his own property (yes he never left his property), a neighbor seen him walking home with his .22 cradled in his arms, called the police and they S.W.A.T.T.ed him. with a command unit, the "gun truck" and the personnel transport with 9 fully armed and armoured cops.

I would be curious as to what the (possibly) paranoid neighbor told the police. How much neighborly "luv" their was between them? How big was the property? What else was on the table regarding the police and the man's history?

I have known a few police and for the most part found them decent folk.

Bullmoose
04-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Not sure about the realtionship with the neighbor, however I can't think of any information that would come from rural Ontario that would generate a 3 vehicle 9 cop SWAT response, and then to enter his house and cut open his safe. Got this and much more info from the attorney who is specializing in firearms charges. You wouldn't believe some of the crap that is going on, the attorney in question advised that fellow lawyers he has practised with for years don't believe what is going on until they read the transcripts.

rifleman
04-20-2008, 05:15 PM

thanx for that web site I will print it out & give one to all my friends to have on hand..

killman
04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
In all this stuff I can't seem to find where it says you must possess your registration cards for your guns. Is this just BS someone started?

heliwrench
04-20-2008, 06:25 PM
In all this stuff I can't seem to find where it says you must possess your registration cards for your guns. Is this just BS someone started?

I think this is only true if you are using a gun that someone lent you and they are not present, just to prove you have permission.

Comshel
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM

get a load of this guy's I too couldn't find anywhere in the Reg's that I had to carry the registration for my firearm so I e-mailed the registry and they replied that yes I must carry the registration when the firearm is in my possession but didn't tell me where I could find that in the reg's! If I e-mail them enough maybe they'll write it in.

killman
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm. very interesting I imagine this will be a hole new debate, or has it already been debated?

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Easiest way to handle this is to make photo copies of registration and keep with your hunting licence ... that way you are covered and it doesnt take up any room ... No hassles -no worries

killman
04-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Easiest way to handle this is to make photo copies of registration and keep with your hunting licence ... that way you are covered and it doesnt take up any room ... No hassles -no worries

Yes you are right, and I probably will. But that's really not the point. Sometimes these are just rumors started by bad people.

Comshel
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Oh yeh, I wouldn't want to ruin a hunt over a pissing match but it sure makes you think that if you don't know your rights then someone's going to tell you what they are!

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes , but you cant control the actions or rumours of others ... you can control what you do or say . If a Co or police asks to see the registration .. no worries .

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh yeh, I wouldn't want to ruin a hunt over a pissing match but it sure makes you think that if you don't know your rights then someone's going to tell you what they are!
Thats right ... ask yourself , what would you do if you were a cop or CO and you asked a person in a vehicle Not to touch his firearm and he says I can touch it all he wants and reaches for it ..... Not a good situation and totally avoidable by using common sense

BCLongshot
04-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Good for you ElectricDyck proud to live in the same city !

Next time you go alone call me I'll go with you if you want.

Steelco...

Thanks for the tip, I printed that off and slid a copy in my duo-tang with clear sleeves with all my documents, registartion of all weapons, ATT, gun club membership etc.

They're always impressed when I whip this out.

Comshel
04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Thats right ... ask yourself , what would you do if you were a cop or CO and you asked a person in a vehicle Not to touch his firearm and he says I can touch it all he wants and reaches for it ..... Not a good situation and totally avoidable by using common sense

I wouldn't have the patience to be a police officer am glad some people do.

BCLongshot
04-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Well the card is a cut-out so you can carry it in your wallet ? I would think if a policeman asks to see if you own the gun you would have to have the registration right ? What would you do if you have a hand gun and he wants to see your reg and your ATT ? Just because it's not on a web-site isn't going to help you when your on the side of the road.

Gateholio
04-20-2008, 07:58 PM
There isn't a law that says you need to carry your registration card.

It says that you must register your gun, and produce proof of that if asked.

Comshel
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM

I think it's a quirk in the reg's as I can't find in print where it states I must carry the registration for my rifle while in my possession, although as I said I would carry it I wish they'd go back to laminated registration, I think we paid enough for them?

Dannybuoy
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Well I guess that answers that question ! You are going to have a tough time producing it if you dont have it on you ! Thanks Gate

boxhitch
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Or the LEO can hold onto the gun for you, until you can produce the documents. Your choice.

Gateholio
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Well I guess that answers that question ! You are going to have a tough time producing it if you dont have it on you ! Thanks Gate

There are other ways to verify it is registered. A officer can check via computer/raido most of the time. Or they may seize it until you produce certificate.

Or they may not care and just ignore it, since they probably understand that people do forget documents at home sometimes.

kenkell1
04-21-2008, 07:50 AM
When you register a vehicle the registration must be with you to drive that vehicle and if it isn't you can expect a hefty ticket if pulled over even though that also can be checked on CPIC whether the vehicle is registered or not. The same goes for your firearm and it's registration.
I always keep mine with me in a sealed water proof plastic container in the glove box of my truck......just in case.

buckguy
04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Good job on having approriate paperwork available to back you up. I am definately going to put a few copies in vehicles and gun case. Always better to be prepared than get caught offgaurd by ignorant people who may and try to confiscate your rifle. Thanks for the reminder, as some may take for granted that the local police would know the transport laws.

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 08:21 AM
When you register a vehicle the registration must be with you to drive that vehicle and if it isn't you can expect a hefty ticket if pulled over even though that also can be checked on CPIC whether the vehicle is registered or not. The same goes for your firearm and it's registration.

Except there is no provision for issuing a hefty ticket for not carrying a firearm registration card with you and your non restricted firearms.

Phoneguy
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I photocopy my registrations, cut out and then laminate with clear mac tac (dollar store, shelf liner). One copy gets taped to the inside of my hard gun case, between the foam and the case. When I transport, I always have a copy, only have to think about it once!

James

Deaddog
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Up to this point the provicial gov't will not allow their crown prosecutors to prosecute under the registration program, thus a federal prosecutor would have to be appointed, I have been checked several times by CO's accompanied by RCMP, never been asked for proof of registration, with the amnesty I think it is a mute point.

Phil
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the link. I made a copy of each and put them in my truck.

kenkell1
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Except there is no provision for issuing a hefty ticket for not carrying a firearm registration card with you and your non restricted firearms.
Maybe so...or so you say but really..what does it hurt to carry your registration with you??? Sure would save alot of hassle if your ever asked for it. They are given to you when you register your firearm for a reason and one of the reasons is proof you have your firearm registered.

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe so...or so you say but really..what does it hurt to carry your registration with you??? .

It doesn't hurt anything to carry it with you, but you cannot be issued a fine or jailed for not doing so.

They are given to you when you register your firearm for a reason and one of the reasons is proof you have your firearm registered.

It's not really proof without other verification. They can be easily forged.

The real reason certificates are issued is to make ignorant people think that the government is doing something about gun crime, which is false in this respect.

kenkell1
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
It doesn't hurt anything to carry it with you, but you cannot be issued a fine or jailed for not doing so.

It's not really proof without other verification. They can be easily forged.

The real reason certificates are issued is to make ignorant people think that the government is doing something about gun crime, which is false in this respect.
You can have your gun taken away until you provide proof it is registered and that would suck if you were going hunting and thats reason enough to keep the registration with you.
Anything can be forged...so whats your point?
Your comment about ignorant people was uncalled for but then again as usual your always right.

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
]
You can have your gun taken away until you provide proof it is registered and that would suck if you were going hunting and thats reason enough to keep the registration with you.

That is a possibility, but with many peace officers saying that they are not checking for registration, as well as the amnesty, it's less likely you will even be asked for it.

But having a registration certificate on you isn't actually proof of registration. It's proof you have a piece of paper with some numbers on it. A document that is so easily forged hardly is able to provide solid proof of anything.

The numbers on your rifle and the numbers in the CFC's computer need to match up correctly to really prove that your firearm is registered.

Anything can be forged...so whats your point?

See above.

Your comment about ignorant people was uncalled for

It's simply the truth, People that believe that pieces of paper prevent crimes are simply ignorant of the facts.

but then again as usual your always right.

:biggrin:

kenkell1
04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
].

That is a possibility, but with many peace officers saying that they are not checking for registration, as well as the amnesty, it's less likely you will even be asked for it.

But having a registration certificate on you isn't actually proof of registration. It's proof you have a piece of paper with some numbers on it. A document that is so easily forged hardly is able to provide solid proof of anything.

The numbers on your rifle and the numbers in the CFC's computer need to match up correctly to really prove that your firearm is registered.

See above.

It's simply the truth, People that believe that pieces of paper prevent crimes are simply ignorant of the facts.

LMAO whatever you say !

Bowzone_Mikey
04-21-2008, 04:45 PM
get a load of this guy's I too couldn't find anywhere in the Reg's that I had to carry the registration for my firearm so I e-mailed the registry and they replied that yes I must carry the registration when the firearm is in my possession but didn't tell me where I could find that in the reg's! If I e-mail them enough maybe they'll write it in.

As I figure they cant enforce that aspect untill 2009 at the earliest as the feds extended the "grace period " untill then

Dannybuoy
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
].

See above.

I think that no-one is out to hassle the average law-abiding hunter or target shooter maybe thats also why it isnt being overly enforced but by asking its easy to pick out the shit-disturbers , hotheads and others that probably shouldnt be packing a firearm IMO

of course there is the conspiracy theory .:-P:?:

Dannybuoy
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
As I figure they cant enforce that aspect untill 2009 at the earliest as the feds extended the "grace period " untill then
From what I understand Mikey you are probably bang on , no-one really knows where the whole gun registry thing is going to go ... but if you got it why not pack it and produce it if asked ... co-operation never hurt in my experience ... wasnt there a saying about sugar and vinegar ?

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 05:15 PM
]
I think that no-one is out to hassle the average law-abiding hunter or target shooter maybe thats also why it isnt being overly enforced

Probably not being enforced for a number of reasons: Amnesty/ No real benefit to enforce it/ extra paper work for no real benefit/ resources better used elsewhere/ and a few more, I am sure.

but by asking its easy to pick out the shit-disturbers , hotheads and others that probably shouldnt be packing a firearm IMO

More likely they will pick out the absent minded, who forgot the registration papers at home.

heliwrench
04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I understood ya, I would of politely told him, that I know my rights, and I have the right to touch my gun all I want too,

I wouldn't be grabin my gun in front of a cop. look what they do to guys trying to rode the skytrain for free:D:D:D:lol:

muzzy
04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

A contradiction, but if you cannot produce on the spot and are carrying, it is common to verify through serial number and a simple call to dispatch to determine validity of the registration..Not a big issue, just an inconvenience that could be avoided if registered owner can produce what they are required to which is "to produce proof".

Mauser98
04-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Splitting hairs

There is a law that says you must produce, on demand by a Peace officer, the registration certificate for the firearm.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Splitting hairs

There is a law that says you must produce, on demand by a Peace officer, the registration certificate for the firearm.
talk about splitting hairs

Kinda of a mute law seeing as how the firearm does need to be registered at this point in time due to the feds amesty

BCLongshot
04-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Ya like I said you can wine all you want but if your asked to prove it's your rifle/hangun I'm thinkin' it would save you alot of of pia if you have the proof but Hey do it your way and tell us about it.

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I think some of you are missing the point-

If you forget your reg cert, the sky is not going to fall.

you can't be charged with anything

you can't be fined

An officer is probably able to find out the firearms status through other means.

you *might* be incovenienced if the officer decides to seize the firearm.

It's highly likely the topic of registration doesn't even come up, since there is an amnesty, anyway.

So the sky won't fall. At this time anyway..:smile:

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Ya like I said you can wine all you want but if your asked to prove it's your rifle/hangun I'm thinkin' it would save you alot of of pia if you have the proof but Hey do it your way and tell us about it.

I think you will find that one of the conditions of an ATT is that the registration certificate accompany the firearm.

Tarp Man
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
What I fail to understand is exercising a "right" or a loophole in a law because it offends one's sense of personal freedoms. At this time, firearms must be registered. Amnesty or not, you can be required to produce proof. So why not do yourselves the favor and be prepared? You carry a driver's licence to produce proof. Required to carry? When they ask you to produce proof. Same goes for firearms...

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
What I fail to understand is exercising a "right" or a loophole in a law because it offends one's sense of personal freedoms. At this time, firearms must be registered. Amnesty or not, you can be required to produce proof. So why not do yourselves the favor and be prepared? You carry a driver's licence to produce proof. Required to carry? When they ask you to produce proof. Same goes for firearms...

Is anyone suggesting deliberately being unprepared?

kenkell1
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Is anyone suggesting deliberately being unprepared?
Yep you are Gate and that isn't exactly being a responsible firearm owner in my books as well as many others books here on this site.
Firearms must be registered and registration if asked for must be provided....end of story.

Steeleco
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
I respectfully disagree Kenkell1. The way I read it, Gatehouse is just saying that if you've forgot your reg papers you should be OK. I didn't read anywhere where he's suggesting a person defy the law?

A law that currently is in limbo because of the amenity that is in place??

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
]
Yep you are Gate and that isn't exactly being a responsible firearm owner in my books as well as many others books here on this site.

Could you quote exactly when I said that?

Firearms must be registered and registration if asked for must be provided....end of story.

I already said that- It is what I said on my first post on this thread.

Then you went on to talk about how you could be "issued a hefty ticket" for not having your registration card with you, which is complete BS fear mongering.

Why not just admit you are wrong, instead of trying to put words in my mouth?

kenkell1
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
What am wrong about?
People seem to be getting this firearms amnesty thing way wrong. It doesn't mean you don't have to register your guns or have a registration with you.
A one-year amnesty has been put in place to protect previously licensed owners of non-restricted firearms from prosecution and to encourage them to comply with the law as it currently stands.
It's no big deal. Register your gun and keep the registration with you to avoid any problems in the future.

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
]
What am wrong about?

When you said this:

When you register a vehicle the registration must be with you to drive that vehicle and if it isn't you can expect a hefty ticket if pulled over even though that also can be checked on CPIC whether the vehicle is registered or not. The same goes for your firearm and it's registration

And when you said this:

Yep you are Gate and that isn't exactly being a responsible firearm owner in my books as well as many others books here on this site

People seem to be getting this firearms amnesty thing way wrong. It doesn't mean you don't have to register your guns or have a registration with you.

But it does keep you from recieving "hefty tickets"

The sky wont' fall if you forget your cards.....

OOBuck
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
What am wrong about?
A one-year amnesty has been put in place to protect previously licensed owners of non-restricted firearms from prosecution and to encourage them to comply with the law as it currently stands.
It's no big deal. Register your gun and keep the registration with you to avoid any problems in the future.

Hitler, registration then confiscation..... If you think otherwise you might as well be a sheep lead to slaughter...

kenkell1
04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
]

When you said this:

And when you said this:

But it does keep you from recieving "hefty tickets"

The sky wont' fall if you forget your cards.....
The law allows police to charge first-time offenders, who have not registered long guns under the Firearms Act, and penalties could result in a $2,000 fine or six months in jail. Or police may lay Criminal Code weapons charges of illegal possession, which carry tougher penalties of up to 10 years in jail.

bosch
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
great little tip on carrying the firearm regs, just printed off a copy for myself. Thanks!

kenkell1
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Hitler, registration then confiscation..... If you think otherwise you might as well be a sheep lead to slaughter...
Your fear mongering and placing Canada into the scene as a Nazi War criminal is ridiculous.
NON registration can lead to confiscation.....not what you said.

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
]
The law allows police to charge first-time offenders, who have not registered long guns under the Firearms Act, and penalties could result in a $2,000 fine or six months in jail.

Not currently, as there is an amnesty in place.

Regardless, none of these are applicable to a gun owner with a registered unrestricted firearm, that forgot to carry the card on him.

Or police may lay Criminal Code weapons charges of illegal possession, which carry tougher penalties of up to 10 years in jail.

I may be mistaken, but I believe these charges are intended for people with no PAL or possession of prohibited firearms without a prohib PAL, and are not applicable to a person that forgot his registration certificate at home.

As an aside, isn't it terrible that ordinary firearms owners and hunters have allowed ourselves to be so utterly whipped?

A few years ago, I (and many others) had no registration cards, since we didn't have a registry. We were no danger to the public. We were responsible firearms owners and users. Overnight, if you hadn't complied with a registry (that does ZERO to promote public safety) you could be faced with this:

The law allows police to charge first-time offenders, who have not registered long guns under the Firearms Act, and penalties could result in a $2,000 fine or six months in jail.

At least we have the CPC in power now, and if they get a majority government the next election, they will scrap the registry, and then we can start picking away at the rest of the Firearms Act.

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM

Historically, registration of firearms has ben used as a tool to track firearms and to confiscate them from regular citizens, over a period of time.

People have already had their registered guns confiscated in Canada.

To ignore how gun registries have been used as a tool of disarmament is to ignore history.

Mr. Dean
04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I find it utterly ironic that i can buy a car and only half to have money in order to do so.... I can 'collect' cars and not need registrations OR licenses.

Yet to have an old worn out .22 of my deceased father, hung on the wall as a decorative piece, I can expect fines, jail sentence, criminal record AND refused to own ANY firearms there-after.

All in the name of what???
Taxation is the only answer that I can come up with. Anything esle is just BS/lip-service.

VERY GOOD IDEA to have transport regs on hand. You'll never know when a copy is needed. Treat that pamphlet like your wallet ----> NEVER leave home without it. :wink:

OOBuck
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Your fear mongering and placing Canada into the scene as a Nazi War criminal is ridiculous.

keep living the dream... History can, has, does & most likely will repeat...

pikey
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Historically, registration of firearms has ben used as a tool to track firearms and to confiscate them from regular citizens, over a period of time.

People have already had their registered guns confiscated in Canada.

To ignore how gun registries have been used as a tool of disarmament is to ignore history.

Too true, the previous examples of registries are not exactly comforting, but this time it will be different.....right.

Dannybuoy
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
talk about splitting hairs

Kinda of a mute law seeing as how the firearm does need to be registered at this point in time due to the feds amesty
You are kinda twisting the amnesty here ... they are extending the time frame to registar firearms ....that isnt to say that unregistered firearms are legal ....they can and have been confiscated ... never to be seen again ....

Dannybuoy
04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes it can be rather simple eh ! I agree 100%

Nooker77
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Steelco...Thanx for the link...printed out a copy for my truck and the "outlaws!"8) Cheers

kenkell1
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Don't anyone get me wrong. I have never been in favour of the gun registry and I never will be. I also will never believe that Harper will ever in his lifetime scrap the registry.
All I was saying is YES you do have to register your firearms and all the amnesty does is prolong the length of time needed to register.
We all need to suck it up because like it or not we have a registry so we have to deal with it.
Mine are registered and when I use a firearm I take my registration with me.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-22-2008, 06:48 PM
You are kinda twisting the amnesty here ... they are extending the time frame to registar firearms ....that isnt to say that unregistered firearms are legal ....they can and have been confiscated ... never to be seen again ....
I am not twisting anything ...how can be law be enforced when there is an amesty ..ie: how can a rifle be confiscated for non registration when there is a registration amesty untill 2009?

explain to me how that makes sense ... and dont say its the law to have your rifle registered ... because its not untill 2009 when the amesty runs out.

coaster
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
[quote=Dannybuoy;276122]You are kinda twisting the amnesty here ... they are extending the time frame to registar firearms ....that isnt to say that unregistered firearms are legal ....they can and have been confiscated ... never to be seen again ....[/quo

Excuse me , if your firearm is confiscated by a law inforcement officer, he cannot destroy it until the case has been before a magistrate, only then can he proceed with the destruction of said firearm.. Therefor the said firearm cannot "disapear or never to be seen again ". Remember the case in Toronto when the firearms officer in charge was selling destroyed firearms ? He lost his job and was given a heafty fine..

Tarp Man
04-22-2008, 07:18 PM
This thread seems to have veered off track. ElectricDyck posted here to warn us who live in Abbotsford, which certainly was warranted. How did we digress into a debate over what the amnesty actually is for, and whether or not we need to register our guns?

Back when I posted (a few pages ago) Gatehouse you asked if I was implying you were saying not to register our guns. That is not what I meant. What I meant was that complying with laws that are not directly detrimental to our freedoms, to ensure our own free passage and avoid the "mild inconveniece" you describe as having your guns seized from your posession, is a small price to pay. Has gun crime been reduced due to the registry? I am not in a position to pass judgment on this. However, I have first hand knowledge of a situation this past year where a long gun registry allowed an RCMP member to trace firearms which turned out to be stolen. Where were these long guns seen? At a joint RCMP / local peace officer road block. Things that make you say Hmmmmm...

Gateholio
04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
]
T. Has gun crime been reduced due to the registry? I am not in a position to pass judgment on this.

Gun registries have never really been able to prevent crimes. No one has ever actually said how a registry will reduce gun crime....Not even Wendy Cukier or Allan Rock:wink:

However, I have first hand knowledge of a situation this past year where a long gun registry allowed an RCMP member to trace firearms which turned out to be stolen. Where were these long guns seen? At a joint RCMP / local peace officer road block. Things that make you say Hmmmmm...

A stolen firearms registry would be quite useful. Much more useful than our current registry.

OOBuck
04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Don't anyone get me wrong. I have never been in favour of the gun registry and I never will be. I also will never believe that Harper will ever in his lifetime scrap the registry.
All I was saying is YES you do have to register your firearms and all the amnesty does is prolong the length of time needed to register.
We all need to suck it up because like it or not we have a registry so we have to deal with it.
Mine are registered and when I use a firearm I take my registration with me.

Paper's please!

kenkell1
04-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Paper's please!
I have my papers thanks.

kenkell1
04-23-2008, 07:32 AM
]

Gun registries have never really been able to prevent crimes. No one has ever actually said how a registry will reduce gun crime....Not even Wendy Cukier or Allan Rock:wink:

A stolen firearms registry would be quite useful. Much more useful than our current registry.
There already is a registry for stolen goods for police use.

OOBuck
04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
I have my papers thanks.

good little sheep......:mrgreen:

kenkell1
04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
good little sheep......:mrgreen:
Don't have a choice, the law says we have to register and I like to go hunting and not be hassled about my firearms.
The original poster on this thread posted a very helpful comment and didn't whine about anything which was a good move on his part. He new the laws and obviously follows them as we all should do.

I would recommend that you keep your derrogatory comments to yourself and maybe post something thats helpful for a change.

Steeleco
04-23-2008, 08:31 AM
As this has run it's course it's time to put it to rest.