PDA

View Full Version : hunting in boston bar?

huntingchick
04-19-2008, 03:16 PM
me n my fiance r planning on going hunting in 2 weeks for our first black bear and we were thinking of going to boston bar and staying at the blue lake resort.. we dont know about the hunting up there at all, any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Steeleco
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
As with all spring bear, just look for any south facing hills where the sun may have melted the snow the soonest. If you find a large area of green, be patient, they will come!!

Not sure about that exact area, but as with all hills of late, there's still lots of snow around?

BTW, Welcome to the site and good luck.

huntingchick
04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
thank you! my man has only been deer hunting and only a couple yrs this is my second time around and first for bear! and its our first time going on our own! wish us luck nd thanks for the welcome!

elkdom
04-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Try Anderson Forestry service road,near Boston Bar,right turn,(east) off Hwy 97,miles and miles of excellent bear country,lots of deer also,good luck!

bsa30-06
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I usually hunt the Lytton area for bears so cant be of much help,but if you could take some pictures of Blue lake and post them it would be appreciated.Always wanted to see what it looked like at the lake but never took the time to drive up there while i was driving by.Good luck and welcome to HBC.

The Dawg
04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I have stayed at the Blue Lake resort...its nice, but the road in can get nasty- it SHREDDED a tire on my truck....if you are camping, the sites are pretty quiet and I liked the boat rentals. Rustic, but all you need.

As for bears, I have hunted the area before- bears are everywhere and shouldnt be a problem to locate. Take lots of pics!

Poguebilt
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
skuzzy creek rec site is great camping and good area for bear.

huntingchick
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
we r planning on staying in one of the cabins.. hve u seen how they r t all? i will be taking tons of pics n videos too!

srupp
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
hmmm try looking for green..lol ...cutblocks hills..POWERLINES...

spring bears need LOTS of water to get their digestive system back to normal..look for FIDDLEHEADS and SKUNK canbbage...

spring grass that is high on a bears fine dining also has dandelions??spelling??..

Although they are out all day..I find a LOT of bears last 1 hour of the afternoon..where as I hunt grizzlies in the early morning..thermals etc..

Steven

jerad
04-20-2008, 04:29 PM
i am siting on my computer resting after coming back from boston bar looking for bear. what a drag, only one scat with 100k behind us the lytton forest service road was a waste. the only clover we saw roadside was by the 7 lakes
and all the bear grass was on ranch land:icon_frow.

we saw some good dear and somone dragging a big old boar down from banff.

but no black bear in boston bar right now, try mid may to june.

huntingchick
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
yay today we went up to boston bar and putted around the logging rds and saw my first black bear very nice size not to groggly just on the road side, my hubby watched it for a bit then shot right wen he was walking back into the brush and missed by like nothing! he ran up the mnt so fast he ddint get in another shot! but we were not up there too long so we have hope for another day! saw a few doe around too very nice today.. gives us lots of hope.

BCLongshot
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Please don't miss. It's not cool.

I was at that Blue lake resort if you want to call it that 5 yrs ago. YUUUUKKKKK

Like the 1 we were at 3 yrs ago by Adams lake. Dog crap everywhere, dirty, cabins sucked.

Not like Tatuk lake resort. Now that was clean and very nice, everything worked.

Funny thing all 3 resorts were the same price, only 1 could be called a resort.

Bears will come, still a little early.

Comshel
04-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Yup, sometimes you miss sometimes you don't miss 'cause you don't take a shot. Glad you guy's seen some good luck next time around.

kennyg826
04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
My buddie hunts Boston Bar for bear yearly. He recommends that I wait until the second week in may, as the bears have begun to move out of skunk cabbage and more so on to grasses. Also a few more bears movin. He may delay his hunt by a week now with all this snow and cold weather. Hope this helps a little.
Ken.

huntingchick
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
thanks everyone.. yes today we just drove up there from mission to have a look at the area, neither of us have been there really so it was nice but we are planning on going out for our hunt may 2nd i think, so les snow more bear hopfully!
(p.s thanks for the cabin info i was worried to go with no idea wat its like.. changing plans now hehe)

David Heitsman
04-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I think it's a bit early yet as I have just driven the Coq to Kelowna and from 10 -15 k's out of Hope it's still heavy snow and I would expect similar
with any elevation coming up from teh Fraser as well.
I drove into Blue Lake resort a couple years back when the canyon was closed for blasting. It's quite rustic and the bush is way thick.

I'd drive the Anderson Creek road as indicated but my first start would be
to cross the bridge at Boston Bar and work the roads and south facing cutblocks on the Nahatlatch road.

There is a good population of bears along there.

hunter1947
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
If you can get out for bear there are a few out down low ,we saw a big one ripping apart a stump the other day while driving to CR.

shottyshooter
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Bumping an old thread to see if anyone has updates? I haven't explored the area at all but my wife wants me to change locations because she is taking the kids to Blue Lake where Grandma is staying.

Nahatlatch and Anderson FSR's - any access issues? I could take my trailer or just tent it. My oldest boy and I will basically do our own thing until we get a bear so we might not go to Blue Lake until Sunday around dinner. Any advice on a wilderness 24' trailer friendly spot or if we should stick to the tent would be appreciated.

Any locals can tie down a good meat bear until I get up there too!!!