PDA

View Full Version : NEW Global Star "spot " rep

srupp
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I recieved my new Global star SPOT unit..Satellite Personal Locater..and am one of their NEW Reps...will get it registered and using it ASAP...

I am always available for updates on its reliability use and positive/or negative results..

IT IS MUCH SMALLER THAN I IMAGINED...looks very well built..however its not a beauty pagent..its a survival tool..

Steven

steveo32
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
I think my parents want to send me north this year guiding with one of them to see how well they qwork and to track me all over the mountians. They sure are tiny and look very useful!

I will let you know how they hold up to horse abuse in october!

Skeena Hunter 1
04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Hopefully they work better than their phones.:eek:

msawyer
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Steve...

Are you selling the SPOT and if so, for how much? And what about that "huge" discount for HuntingBC members?

Mike
________
Inspire (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Inspire)

Deaddog
04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
We have tried them out at work, didn't work well enough to be dependable, hope things have changed as they would be a great unit if they were dependable.

srupp
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I have ALREADY had numerous calls lol and Deaddog that IS the # 1 concern RELIABILITY.. this DEMANDS reliability..far more than the sattellight phones are giving..we are trusting OUR LIVES with this...I have a telephone meeting with Globalstar next week and WILL be passing on the comments I have been given..WITHOUT FEAR OR FAVOUR..

I consider myself a honest guy..with a "reasonable " reputation in the outdoor arena...and am not about to jeapordize this by a free unit..

If it works I will tell you if it doesnt or is UNRELIABLE and can not be trusted then that also WILL be shared...:cool:..I am going to start carrying this unit in the choppers when I fly Medivacs..as well as when I go out hunting hiking fishing etc etc etc..and am going to report back on these forums what My real world experiences are....I already informed Globalstar that if the reults ARE NOT good I am NOT going to hold back my views...

I am not selling them..at least at this point...Globalstar realizes they have issues with their sat phones and have put some real effort into getting a "fix" in the meantime untilll the sattellight constellation can be increased and upgraded..

I honestly dont even know what they retail for... this unit was a freebee as a prostaff member and I have only opened it up and fiddled and read the directions ..I chat with the head office this week and will report the feedback and concerns so far...

I will ask about pricing..
I will rport successes and failures equally..

The design looks very good , it seems rugged..and is a brilliant orange color thank goodness NOT camo...:lol:

It is far smaller than I thought it would be...

Any questions you can contact me by PM... or ssrupp@telus.net

Cheers

Steven

orion
04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Deaddog, I posted a while back about the "Find Me Spot" and you said you were testing it at work. Any update on how they worked out?

srupp
04-17-2008, 10:20 PM
exellent question...Deaddog..what were your issues..??? Just unreliable??

Slow?

Curious Steven..lol

Elkhound
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
looked at these at the tradex show. Seemed like a great idea

Deaddog
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
The issue we had was unreliable signal, even downtown PG we could not get signal on a reliable basis, we did try it out backpacking, it tracked us for only a small percentage of the time. The concept is awesome and we were prepared to buy a number of them, however until the signal is 100 percent it will not work if you need to rely on it. If it is a "nice to have" it may fit the bill. Hopefully the globalstar will be able to have more dependable signal in both the spot and the phones as we have had to switch to another sat phone as well.

Comshel
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd be surprised if they prove to be more dependable than their phones as they utilize the same satellites.

ryanb
04-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I have sent a few messages from around Bob Quinn and Hudson's Hope in the last month while working and I have yet to NOT have a message go through when I transmit in an at least semi-open area.

To get it to work well, you need to find a bit of a clearing, push the button, and let it sit there for about 10 minutes transmitting. It will try to send several messages in case some don't go through (but your contacts only receive the first message that goes through).

So far, I can say with absolute confidence that this thing works, and works pretty well in BC anyways. I'm in the arctic next week, and that will be the true test because it's on the edge of the coverage zone.

ryanb
04-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I wonder Deaddog, were you trying to transmit from indoors, or under trees? Perhaps you didn't let it try to transmit for long enough, sometimes I think it takes up to 10 mins to get the signal through.

I just don't understand your comments because it has worked really well for me so far.

srupp
04-19-2008, 01:04 PM
hMMMM I do know after reading the instructions :roll: that indeed it may take 10 minutes or so I belive up to 20 ?? to gat the message through TO ENSURE..delivery...good info ryan...

I do know Deaddog and am completely satisfied that if he says it was unreliable then it was..

Deaddog do you still have a unit and could try a semi open spot..ha ha I madea joke...oops... a open place and leave the unit on for 10 minutes and see if it works...

Steven

heliwrench
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
does Iridium have a similar product?

Deaddog
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
The function that worked poorly for us was the tracking function, definetly didn't wait twenty minutes when sending a message, however if I have to wait that long I may as well call in on our iridium sat phone.

srupp
04-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Irridium is OWNED by GLOBALSTAR...and SPOT is Globalstars....

I got to "use " Irridium yesterday out west on a work situation..it did NOT work ..:eek: neither did out Globalstar unit :eek: for over 1 hour and 100 kilometers.:eek:

Thanks Deaddog..I have a buisness meeting with Globalstar on Tuesday morning and we will be dealing with ALL these issues..

Steven

Deaddog
04-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Good to know, as we have never had a problem with Iridium,DD

ryanb
04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Irridium is OWNED by GLOBALSTAR...and SPOT is Globalstars....

I got to "use " Irridium yesterday out west on a work situation..it did NOT work ..:eek: neither did out Globalstar unit :eek: for over 1 hour and 100 kilometers.:eek:

Steven, where did you get the information that Iridium is owned by Globalstar? I am almost certain they are completely un-affiliated.

Globalstar's voice frequency antennas have been highly degraded by solar effects, but by all acounts, their simplex data antennae remain effective (what SPOT is on).

Our company has been using Iridium phones for years and they are relatively reliable. It's important to remember that there are only a finite number of satellites in orbit, and there can be periods where only a relative few number of satellites will be in view. If those are blocked by ground clutter such as trees, mountains or buildings, you may have to wait a certain time before the satellites move to a better spot in the sky.

Both Iridium and Globalstar satellites are in low earth orbit, so the satellites move relatively quickly across the sky. This is the reason that if you let the SPOT sit for a few minutes, a satellite is almost guaranteed to move into a position where the message will go through. This is also the reason that with an Iridium phone, if it doesn't work, wait 10 minutes and try again and it should work.

srupp
04-20-2008, 02:01 PM
HMMMM pretty darned sure about Irridium...again I will confirm on Tuesday meeting..

In my buisness I dont always have 10 minutes...AND 1 HOUR AND 100 Kms is NOT comunication it is accidental random contact...:shock:

Steven

Creeker
04-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Steven,
Did you try to hardboot your Iridium when you had your problem?
The 1 and only time i couldnt get signal Hardbooted and I instantly had full bars.
I also i have heard that the removable antenna connection could cause a little grief if loose.
Just a thought.

bigwhiteys
04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I have SPOT... Used it quite a bit now... Never an issue with deliverability in fact I haven't had a message take more then 5 minutes to get through.

Help, Tracking and Check in all work 100% for me... Hope I never have to try the 911 feature.

Price for the unit is $169.99 as they employ price fixing... I have been in contact with their sales manager regarding an online affiliate program.

Happy Hunting
Carl

srupp
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Carl..good info..

Steven

scoot
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I have worked with the spotme and a new Iridium sat phone. The spotme I have taken on a couple snowshoeing ventures this past winter. Both times were east of PG.

Spotme;
I covered 26 k's my first shoe trip. I parked in the middle of a cutblock at the bottom of a valley. I turned on the Unit and hit the OK button. After rucking up, getting the dogs ready, I walked a short distance further into the cutblock and held down the OK button to activate the track option. The unit went thorugh it's thing to say it was tracking. I put it at the top of my pack, in a pouch that is about 6 inches over my head and began hiking. I checked on the unit every now and then, it continued to blink, saying it was tracking. When I made it to 8 mile cabin I activated the OK feture again and turned off the tracking. left the unit outside for almost 1 hour, checked the unit, and the tracking feture was off, as it should have been. I turned the track back on, and headed back to the truck. I left the unit on for the drive back to PG which was over 100 k's. I got home, logged onto the findmespot.com website, and the only thing that showed any tracking was about 3/4 of my drive home. NONE of the trail "OK"s or the "track" marks worked.
I am conviced that this unit has potential and is a very sound idea. granted other times I have used it at my work site, and at home, i have walked outside, hit the OK button and by the time i got to the computer the "OK" was logged. This unit needs more feedback. All it does is flash lights. a signal indicator would not be a bad idea, and even perhaps a "message sent" light or screen. The second time i used it, my experience was similar but it did register some of my hike.

In regards to the irridum phones, there is no comparison with globalstar, perhaps they are the same company, maybe they even go off of the same satilites, but the irridum is way way way better. I have waited up to 2 hours just for a signal with globalstar. I don't think I have ever waited more than on minute with irridum.

srupp
04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Scoot..again exellent info and feedback...

My.02 is these are being ADVERTISED as EMERGENCY LOCATORS..people are being ASKED to trust their LIVES and well being on THIS ..it HAS to be reliable.PERIOD.

Steven

bigwhiteys
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
This unit needs more feedback. All it does is flash lights. a signal indicator would not be a bad idea, and even perhaps a "message sent" light or screen.

Agreed... I think it could also use (I am sure they already have the plans) the ability to send and receive text messages. MUCH easier to send then actual voice on a satellite phone and would come in really handy...

With the "Help Me" feature on spot it would be good if you could have some presets like "Out of Gas, Mechanical Failure, Accident, etc..." Right now if you hit "Help Me" no one on your spot team has any idea what's happened and have no idea what to be prepared for.

Just my 2 cents... I have already sent this feedback to SPOT brass.

Carl

Creeker
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Is my last post invisible?

scoot
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Is my last post invisible?

to be honest, i have never had trouble with the signal, but i will try and remeber that next time i use it.

srupp
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Creeker ,...I did answer and its GONZO ???

checked antenna..and we have a in car reboot..nada...

Steven

Creeker
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Steven,
Hmmm, This is the first i have heard of an extended outage. I have a number of globalstars and have changed to Iridium 1.5 years ago. We have used them all over the place that why i figured maybe a hardware issue but no wireless products are perfect i guess. I have been really happy with our service so far.

Scoot,
Yes its good to know the reboot if your phone does lock for some reason.

ryanb
04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
This unit needs more feedback. All it does is flash lights. a signal indicator would not be a bad idea, and even perhaps a "message sent" light or screen. The second time i used it, my experience was similar but it did register some of my hike.

Scoot, it is impossible for it to tell you whether the message has been sent because the unit cannot receive anything (except GPS signals :D). It sends the messages blindly because it operates on the globalstar simplex network, which is fancy speak for one-way communication. There are antennas on the satellites to receive information, but none to send anything to any devices that are on that system.

The only message it does give you is if it can't acquire a GPS signal, where the two lights then flash out of sync (instead of in-sync).

These things are pretty handy, but the best option for an emergency situation is an EPIRB. Like the ACR micro-fix which is essentially a portable emergency locator transmitter (ELT, like those found in aircraft). Of course, EPIRBs are good only in a dire, life-threatening emergency, and you will get in quite a bit of trouble for using it if you aren't on the verge of death.

scoot
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
These things are pretty handy, but the best option for an emergency situation is an EPIRB. Like the ACR micro-fix which is essentially a portable emergency locator transmitter (ELT, like those found in aircraft). Of course, EPIRBs are good only in a dire, life-threatening emergency, and you will get in quite a bit of trouble for using it if you aren't on the verge of death.

What you are talking about, is this some form of a Personal location beckon (PLB)?

If so, yah, very pricy. My understanding is if you push the help button, the bill starts at about 18,000.

heliwrench
04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Its hard to compare a $170 beacon to a $1500 iridium phone. But the Spot should work as advertised in an emergency EVERY time otherwise its as useful as a smoke alarm without batteries.

srupp
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
so I went and tried the new SPOT unit for the first time..I went outside and placed the unit face up...logo up on the hood of my truck ..pushed the on button for 2 seconds followed by the "CHECK IN " BUTTON FOR 2 SECONDS...

WITHIN 4 MINUTES...

I had a confirmation message on my computer giveing me a check in message "OK"
long #;s
lat#'s

a link to Google maps Bc that showed a MAP AND a satalight PHOTO of Williams Lake..and zoomed in on the arrow on the sidewalk/street in front of my home EXACTLY where the unit was placed.

It worked FIRST TIME ...:biggrin:...I know ..its ONLY one time however it represents 100% so far..

It worked accuratly..with in 4 feet easily...reassuring..

It also means when activated amongst homes it worked fast well within the 5-7 minutes it takes for the secong attempt...

I also got "tracking "option " as SPOT REP..:roll:..so we shall see nextw eekend when I go bear scouting how that does as well as doing some more check ins....

Just a first report of real world experiences...

And everyone will be glad to know I indeed found my way home from my truck...:cool:

Steven

lip_ripper00
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
And everyone will be glad to know I indeed found my way home from my truck...:cool:

Steven

Man glad to hear that!!:eek: I have been playing with mine, and have had no problems yet. will give it the big test friday:wink:

srupp
04-23-2008, 02:47 PM
just do the best to "see "the sky , place it LOGO side up..and let the unit relay 3 messages over the 20 minutes..should ensure over 99% success in any message being recieved and passed along..:biggrin:

Steven

scoot
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
awsome to here steven! Makes me wonder if the one I use has reception trouble. The other thing that crossed my mind was being further north. I notice that the global star phones do work much better in the southern half of BC compared to the north. Wonder if this was the problem???
anyone have any ideas??

srupp
04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Prince George isnt considered NORTH by Gps or Globalstars definition

1)properly turn unit on
2)place logo UP in a clear view of the sky
3) press desired button for 2 seconds
4) leave unit in place for 20 minutes to ensure 3 x message attempts each 5-7 minutes apart

Should give you greater than 99% that your message is successfully been sent.

Steven

srupp
04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
SECOND test today @ the gun range worked perfect.

Steven

ryanb
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I thought I'd update everyone on how the spot worked up North, WAY north. I tried it at 2 different camps and it worked perfectly well, again. Anywhere in BC should be no problem for this unit.

Latitude:65.889
Longitude:-108.3824
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:05/07/2008 20:49:11 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=65.889,-108.3824&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=65.889,-108.3824&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1)

and

Latitude:62.888
Longitude:-96.9403
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:04/27/2008 14:01:38 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=62.888,-96.9403&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=62.888,-96.9403&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1)

I have yet to NOT have this thing work when I leave it for about 10 minutes to transmit.

Gateholio
05-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Great to hear!!

This unit can send a short email, correct?

I can just see it now..Our members could email another member of HBC and get day to day hunt updates!:cool:

whitetailsheds
05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Ryanb, now that is cool! Clicked on the coordinates you gave and had a look at the area on Google. What is it that takes you to these parts of the north?

lip_ripper00
05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I just got back from the U.K and Czech Republic, family and friends that I gave the link to said they had fun tracking me where ever I went. However I did find that you needed to be in a open area to be able to send a message and it could take several minutes. All in all I am happey at the way it worked. Looking forward to using it huntin and fishing this year. Steven if you didnt recive any messages I am curious why, your computer somehow blocking them?

srupp
05-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Gate the unit can not send short mesages...

Lip_ripper00 I in fact DID get your messages..and tracked your movements from "Foss bank" your message was sent from the edge of a large river and a large large building.this was in York, then to Tower St. again in York..and the nexta was on the A500between Cross St and Bignall end Rd...:eek:....

Your message s were loud and clear..had I been dispatched to find you I would have had no problem finding you ...

Cheers

Steven

Rust
06-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Guys, I am new to this forum. I have kinda been looking into getting one of these. But don't really want to buy something that is not re-liable. So I am just wondering if any of you have used yours in the last few weeks since the post before mine or found out any more info? I seem to end up hunting by myself quite a bit and it would sure be nice to have something like this!
Thanks Guys
Rust

srupp
06-05-2008, 06:06 PM
hmmmmm Rust what specifically do you want to know ???I have yet to not have it work..

Steven
Global star rep

Rust
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Srupp, I am mostly just wondering about the re-liability of them. I know one person that bought one and tested it a few times around home and driving around locally, they said it worked good. Then I heard that they are part of Global Star and started to wonder a bit, cause their Sat phones really suck!! So are they more re-liable cause they transfer data rather then voice? Also From reading this thread I understand that you have to leave it on for 10-20 min to send, but does it let you know some how if your message/ signal went through (say in 5 min or so) or do you just have to wait? It would cost less then having the Sat Radio in my truck, so if they work good I'll probably end up with one.
Thanks

srupp
06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Rust..I have tried my unit 20x..and no failures..
look back in this thred for directions BUT yes leave it on the 20 minutes..logo up in the best clearing ya can...it will try every 5-7 minutes to get the message out IF left on for the 20 minutes = 3 attempts during that time better than 97% success...

This does use the simplex side of the system..
Wait the 20 minutes..= 97% succcess...good to go..

Steven

Ron.C
06-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I am seroiusly thinking of picking one of these up for this years elk hunt. It will give my wife a warm and fuzzy if I can let her know I am ok at least once a day while hunting alone in remote areas. I am 100% sure that cell phones won't work where I am headed and I can't afford a Sat phone so this seems like a wise choice. One question to those of you who have one. If you need emergency asistance, does the signal go to a "call center" for dispatch or does it go to a home email adress? And if it does go to a call center, what kind of turn around time are you looking at as far as getting the right resources notified in the area your in involved?

Rust
06-05-2008, 08:40 PM
From What I understand if you hit the 911 button, your lat. and long are sent to Search and Rescue, Maybe home as well but I am not sure on that one. I have no idea about turn around time. You might be able to get some more info off of this site www.outdoorsafetygps.com

srupp
06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Good questions Ron..

The unit has 3 menues

1)this is the CHECK sign..when pushed and held for 3 seconds while the unit is "on" it will send a signal to whomever you have designated and supplied their e-mail address..I have 5 such individuals listed..this is a check in Im ok message...time date location..

2) this for when you need "help" it may be a flat tire or a quad that wont start or.....??? whatever its NOT A MEDICAL EMERGENCY" and so it may be the same list as in #1 above or different..the meassage is sent out you need some sort of help however its NOT life threatening..so with your co-ordinates and even printed map you can do your friends and familly can come to your aid..

3) this IS the big one we hope we never need...this goes DIRECTLY to the GLOBALSTAR emergency center..who would contact the appropriate response agencies...here in BC..SEARCH AND RESCUE..RCMP..BC.ambulance service et etc etc..all hands on deck..

Turn around time should be pretty quick..this is designated as a EMERGENCY imediate action situation...

Steven Rupp

Globalstar I spot rep

Gateholio
06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Can you send any sort of personalized messaeg?

Such as sending the "need help" message, and adding "Out of beer, pick me up a 24"

I think I need one of these units...:mrgreen:

srupp
06-06-2008, 04:32 PM
No Gate...HOWEVER If you have one and send the "help" message we can assume that you are out of COLD BEER....MOUNTAIN sized...

LMAO...custom menu...sheeesh

Steven

ryanb
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Gatehouse, you CAN program the help message to send whatever you want from the SPOT website, so yes you can program it to transmit "need beer", but to change the help message you will need to log back into the website.

Rookie
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Where is the best place to buy one of these units.

Gateholio
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking beer stores everywhere should start stocking these..

srupp
06-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Hmmmm Im starting to see a pattern develop with Gate..just about time to visit with him...gotta bring my designated driver errr Susan..

Steven

Ron.C
07-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Since the last run of posts some time ago, has anyone had any new experiences good or bad with these things or any more comment/recommendations?

Gateholio
07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
My buddy Jake just recieved one and I took a look at it.

Pretty cool unit. A little bigger than the size of a large wallet. About the size of a George Costanza wallet, I suspect.

he and my other buddy Rob are going to take it on thier elk hunt this year, looks pretty cool.

I don't know where they got it, but it was a nice package.

I bet in 2 years it will be upgraded to be able to send/recieve text msgs. As they are so cheap, I probably want to buy one.:D

bigwhiteys
07-11-2008, 10:37 PM
London Drugs... Everybody sells it for $169 and then $100 for activation.

I've used mine from several locations now and it hasn't missed a beat. This is the most valuable new addition to my pack.

Carl

srupp
07-11-2008, 11:36 PM
As "REP " I have been loaning my unit out to individuals all summer..and it has yet to NOT work ... 100% signal /message sent.Recently I loaned it to the CRD and after a test of the unit they enthusiastically bought their own units.The units are small waterproof and so far flawless operation...

The MAPS and satalight images are amazing in accuracy and detail...and the loaction of the unit has been 'spot" on..lol:tongue:

I have yet to need to need assistance however I have checked in over 40 x and each one has successfully arrived at my designated check in locations (home , brother, friend, neighbor ) and it will be a much appreciated item in my sheep pack and 1/20th the size and weight of the sat phone and far more reliable.

ANY questions or to see it operate please contact me..

The price is the same , no matter where you buy it and in MY estimation cheap and worth every penny.

Steven Rupp

Gateholio
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Steve, send me one, please.:grin:

Do you take EMT $$ transfers?

srupp
07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Sorry Gate...strict orders NOT to..lol

No actually..I personally dont get into the selling.... I demo, explain and use the product to "check for real world applications ":shock:..

I HAVE tried most everything I can to get the unit to fail..so far unsuccessful...

I think you WILL be pleasantly surprised and I HOPE you never need it FRIEND ....

Steven

islandarcher
07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
My wife wants me to get one of these units before my fall hunt. Be cool if they could incorporate it into a GPS unit. Great for peace of mind, and cheaper than a satellite phone.

Gateholio
07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
My wife wants me to get one of these units before my fall hunt. Be cool if they could incorporate it into a GPS unit. Great for peace of mind, and cheaper than a satellite phone.

I believe they do transmitt your GPS coordinates, but having a SPOT/GPS system all in one woudl be fantastic.

Ron.C
07-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Well, I picked one up a couple days ago after a few months of personal debate. Anywhere you go to try and find impartial reviews on this product, all say the same thing. There are those that say it doesn't work worth a $#%* and those that say it works awesome. So I set mine up, turned it on and let it sit for the 20 mins as described in the manual. This long wait is only required the first time you operate the unit, or if you move a large distance from the last point it was used "ie, hundreds of Km's" . So anyway after I left it for the 20 minutes, actually waited 25 minutes, I pressed the OK button. Within minutes I had an Email at home with the personalized message I inputed when I set up my account, my GPS Co-ordinates and a link to Google Maps which when I opened it showed the intersection that my house sits on. I then tried the help button and the same results. Next I shut the unit off for a while. When I turned it on the second time, I hit the OK button within 30 seconds of turning the unit on. Again, I had an email at home in minutes.

I still don't have a decent level of confidence, but over the next few weeks before hunting season, I am going to use it where ever I can. I'll post my results, good or bad. For the big test, I'll be using it on my way to the EK at the end of August, and the area I will be hunting is very remote, so we will see how it works.

The only problem I have had so far is getting the SPOT unit to send its messages to the two wireless phones I designated in my options. I beleive this is due to the address I provided to the phones and I am still tring to work that out.

On a positive note, once you are set up, you can add/delete contacts at any time or change the pre-determined text that is sent with your messages by simply logging on the website. So if you are hunting in an area that has no cell coverage, you can, for example, program a message saying" I got an animal down" in the help message and have it and your GPS co-ordinates sent to a buddy's home or cell phone. This thing does have potential and with some pre planning can be used for alot more than just emergencies.

I am not afilliated with this company in any way, so I have nothing to gain by plugging this product and will happily let everyone know how it works for me, good or bad.

Avalanche123
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
We will be using these for work this winter so I will get a good feel for the unit. I definitely travel long distances during my work so it will be interesting to see how it affects its use.

lip_ripper00
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
We will be using these for work this winter so I will get a good feel for the unit. I definitely travel long distances during my work so it will be interesting to see how it affects its use.

I used mine in Brittian and Czech Republic this spring, has worked great. was out fishing 26 mile bank out of Bamfield, the family was able to track me the whole time:wink:

rgv
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
we bought a couple to try out w field crews,

as expected on the globalstar network, it works better in some places than others. We've tried it out with guys sending signals while on their sat-phones to the office and seeing how long it took to get emails out.

in the babine it is almost instant, in the cassiars we've waited half an hour or so, same in trout lake, even in the open. But as mentioned above, it has always worked.

srupp
07-30-2008, 05:22 PM
As Spot Rep could I PLEASE be advised of ANY failures....record the particulars..date time duration of attempt etc etc

Thank You..
I STILL have not heard of a failed attempt..

Steevn

mountainman
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
We did not try it out on the Skeena, are they totally water proof?? I should have played with it some while we were out, I like the idea of some communication but not having the dam cell attached to my hip.

Ron.C
08-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Yep, I had mine out yesterday in the pissing rain. I opened it up when I got home, and it was dry. I have tested mine at least 20 times in various location between Victoria and Nanaimo so far from inside my car, in open ground, and in partially treed areas, and everytime it has worked so far.

srupp
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Yes Joe they ARE waterproof...sorry bud..I had it on your boat in the blue pack...I just didnt want to be pushy...WELL WORTH the low $ IMHO

Steven

mountainman
08-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Well I wanted to play with it but with the excellent fishing I forgot all about it!!

srupp
08-01-2008, 01:09 PM
lmao..yes we DID the best I have heard...wonderful memories...THANKS BRO.

Steven

Rob
08-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Do you have to download your email addresses from your computer? onto spot or after you have spot activated you just go to the website and enter them? Rob

srupp
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Rob just go to spot website and do it ALL from there..

Cheers

Steven

kastles
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
this is what my email would read:

SPOT:
Attention, if you recieve this message:
Once -
I am out of beer. Please bring Bud.
Twice -
Truck broke down. Bring tow truck and beer
Three times -
Non-life-threatening injury. Bring first aid and beer

srupp
08-31-2008, 06:30 PM
LMAO..now THAT is scarey..errrr funny ..HMM WHAT KIND OF BEER ??

Steven

GabeWalker
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey SRUPP, well me and my brother took ours on our sheep hunt, worked 5 out of the 6 times we used it, Checked in 4 out of 5 times with the OK button and the help buttom went thru telling everyone we got a Ram on day 3 :-P(help was programmed as RAM DOWN). The other problem we had with it, was it wont turn off?? No matter how we did it up there it wouldnt turn off. Had to take the batterys out to shut it off

srupp
09-01-2008, 04:02 AM
If it wont shut off..it is DEFECTIVE..send it back for repair(exchange )

yours is the first time in the past year I have heard of a unit NOT sending a message could you e-mail me PM..what the circumstances where location under trees underwater..??????thanks

Steven

kastles
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
reading another post i thought of another one.
five times - poachers, bring CO

could be handy